What's new

What Hair Products Did You Use Today?

Dax Green and Gold pomade + British Brylcreem + U.S Brylcreem. I started off with the Brylcreem and hated the look, so I added to it with Dax Green and Gold. It looks a lot better now with the pomade. I shelved the Brylcreem. I don't think I'll be using that stuff for a long, long time. The stuff has no hold whatsoever and it makes my hair long stringy like spaghetti. I'm thinking about getting a crew cut and making my life easier. The only negative with really short hair is the need to get constant hair cuts. I hate having to go to the barber shop ever two weeks, which is kind of what I need to do when I have my hair real short. If I get a crew cut, I can use Lucky Tiger Cru Wax and it'll be easy. I'm debating it.

Sweet Georgia Brown. Blue version. I am usually at a complete stop with oil based products in summer here but today was fifteen degrees F cooler than yesterday(near 100F) and the air was not quite as wet as an ocean. I also sport a fresh haircut done in what Marco described as college contour and this makes styling much easier. I kept it to a small jellybean sized amount and it worked pretty well. It still went soft by midday but no stringiness or moppish look. I have to keep my hair well cut in the summer. Let alone to use any product. So today was a good change up. No build up though. It will have to be washed out tomorrow morning or Daryl Dixon will show up in the mirror again.

Dax Short and Neat pomade. I'm thinking about going with lightweight pomades for the rest of the summer. It's too hot to use medium and heavy pomades now. If I put enough of the lightweight pomade on, I can get pretty decent control of my hair. I love the Dax Short and Neat stuff because it's so light. I'm thinking of cycling through this with the following pomades:

- Murray's Super Light
- Royal Crown pomade + dressing
- Dax Neat Waves
- Blue Magic Pressing Oil
- Dax Awesome Shine
- Pomps Not Dead Slick of It All
- Tour and Roby Executive Slick
- O'Doud's light pomade
- Murray's Hair Glo
- Sweet Georgia Brown Red

O'Doud's Heavy hold pomade. My order of Odoud's Heavy pomade came in today, and I must say, I'm very impressed. I didn't bother getting my hair wet because I just wanted to try a little of it. As I mentioned previously, I want to use light pomades for the remander of the summer due to the high temperatures. I put around a dime worth of O'Doud's Heavy in my hair today, and I'm pretty amazed by the results. My hair is literally shining like I'm using a ton of Royal Crown pomade. This stuff is amazing. The scent smells like Pine Sol, which I'm not too high on. However, I don't really smell it now that it's in my hair. It doesn't contain petroleum unfortunately, but it seems pretty good none the less. I'm not one of those types that fears petroleum. I wanted to get the O'Doud's because I'd seen some reviews of it, and I thought the stuff looked great in the reviewer's hair.

Let me break it down this way:

Hold: O'Doud's doesn't seem to have a great hold like Murray's, High Life heavy or Dax Green and Gold. I can put those pomades into dry hair and immediately shape my hair to whatever position I want it to be in. I can't do that with O'Doud's.

Ingredients:

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Candelilla (Euphorbia Cerifera) Wax, Hydrogenated Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopherol (Vitamin E Oil), Pimenta Racemosa (Bay) Oil, Juniperus Virginiana (Cedarwood) Oil, Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Oil, Euginia Caryophyllata (Clovebud) Oil, Coriandrum Officinalis (Coriander) Oil, Pinus Succinefera (Amber) Oil, Juniperus Communis (Juniper Berry) Fruit Oil.

O'Doud's Heavy has got a ton of natural ingredients in it. I'm not allergic to any of them thankfully.

Dax Wave and Groom [Red Dax] pomade. I started out this morning with the O'Doud's Heavy hold pomade in my hair from yesterday. I was disappointed to the extreme with this stuff. It's smelly, weak, doesn't hold the sides of my hair down, and the shine is not good enough for the $20 price tag for 4 oz. Like I said, I don't give a fig that it's a non-petro pomade. That selling point is lost on me. I just want something that makes my hair look good, and this garbage doesn't. As such, I washed the stuff out and tossed it. I would have kept it but it also made my scalp itch, which is a sign that I'm allergic to the product. I'm not surprised really because it contains a massive amount of chemicals.

Okay, so I've got the Dax Wave and Groom in my hair, and I must say, my hair looks magnificent. I mean, Dax Red isn't as good as Murray's, but it's very, very close to being as good. Dax W & G and Murray's are the best bang for the book. If you want a pomade that's inexpensive but very reliable, then you can't go wrong with those two. Dax only cost me $3 for a 3oz tin, and my hair looks WAY, WAY better than the $20 O'Doud's product. There's a lesson here. These home brewers charge an arm and a leg for their pomade and they're products are simply not worth it in my view. You can buy Dax and Murray's on sale at times at Amazon, Ebay, Hedgelion and pomades.com. If you buy a lot, you can save on the shipping costs.

With O'Dpud's, they substitute castor oil for petroleum. Unfortunately, it doesn't give nearly the same performance you get with petroleum.

Each time I stray from the old standard bearers, Murray's and Red Dax, I get burned big time. I had that happen when I was on a water base kick, and lately I've been getting royally messed over in purchasing these overpriced home brews. Heck, I went through the whole Lockhard's line and hated each one of them. Murray's and Dax have done it best, but it's not surprising because these are major companies with a lot of people working together to create products. Home brewers are basically just a 1 to 3 people working on a pomade.

Last edited:
Top Bottom