What's new

What Hair Products Did You Use Today?

$vintage.jpg

Murray's Superior Vintage limited edition Hair Dressing Pomade

I’ve been using Murray’s Hair Glo the last couple of days for a retro to my hair just for the heck of it. I threw pretty much all of my home brew pomades a couple of weeks ago along with some of my classics like Royal Crown Hair dressing and Black and White Pomade. I kept the Murray’s Hair Glo, Nu Nile and 50-50 Short Batch pomade. Today, I decided to watch out the Hair Glo and go with the Murray’s Vintage Superior pomade.

The Murray's Superior Vintage pomade tin has the original artwork from CD Murray from 1925. Murray didn’t appear to be aiming the product as an ethnic hair product originally, but I think it became so popular with a segment of the U.S and worldwide society that he changed his marketing strategy and went with different artwork on the front of the tin, showing an African American man and woman.

I really like the scent of the Murray’s Superior Vintage stuff.

Murray's Vintage has got a sweet smell to it that I could really grow to like even more with frequent use of the product. The texture seems to be a little different than the current 2016 version of Murray’s Superior. For me, it seems smoother without quite as much hold. I put in four fairly healthy scoops into my hair, and I’ve got the same look that I have when using Murray’s Xtra heavy. I think the difference is more shine along with the scent. I don’t add enough of the Murray’s Xtra Heavy to get a ton of shine like I do with Murray’s Vintage Superior pomade. I get a whiff of the Vintage Murray’s each time I move around. It’s definitely a nice smell and makes me feel like I’m in a time machine back to America of the 1920s. I would have liked to have been there wearing Murray’s Vintage Superior in my hair. It would have been nice to see how things were.

I’m sporting a side part rather than a pomp or a slick back with the Murray’s Vintage Superior. The stuff makes me look like I’m 17-years-old. I look so young with this pomade in my hair. It’s giving me the short and neat look to my hair that knocks off years from my chronological age. I like that. Murray’s Superior is like the fountain of youth more so than the other pomades I’ve used. Further, it keeps my hair in perfect order.

Application – While some users gripe and belly ache about the application process of Murray’s Superior, I don’t see it as an issue. I’m don’t warm Murray’s Superior up with a hair dryer or put it on the stove or under hot water to get it to loosen up before application. I just use the old fashion method of rubbing it between my hands until it’s loosened up with friction. The friction of rubbing my hands together works just as well. As far as difficulty getting Murray’s Superior Vintage pomade into my hair, it’s not a hassle at all, especially compared to Murray’s Xtra heavy. I had no problems with losing hair as I put it in. Combs in easy for me.

Shine – I’m getting a medium shine out of the Murray’s Vintage Superior. Compared to the Murray’s Hair Glo I’ve been using lately, it’s toned down and not so extreme. I like it though, because it’s more natural. Hair Glo made my hair look like I’d just gotten out of the shower, and it stayed that way all day and night without losing it. Hair Glo and Murray’s Nu Nile give me the wet look to my hair but without the hold unfortunately.

Hold – the hold is a medium hold. Despite this being a heavy weight pomade, it doesn’t hold unless I put on a healthy amount, which I did today. I kind of loaded up my hair with some healthy scoops of it. Murray’s Superior works best when you put a decent amount in your hair. If you use less, then you don’t get the full effect from this outstanding pomade.

Endurance - I’m able to restyle my hair all day long with this stuff without it giving me any issues. Since it doesn’t dry, it’s very easy to restyle.

I’ve been changing out my pomades so much lately that I don’t get a chance to enjoy the build-up of the product in my hair. With Murray’s Superior Vintage pomade, I want to keep it in my hair for a solid week with normal non-degreasing showers to see how I look. In the past, the longer I have Murray’s Superior in my hair the better it looks.

Price – I paid $6 for Murray’s Vintage Superior pomade. That’s twice what the regular Murray’s Superior pomade goes for. It’s not too expensive to be prohibitive for me, and the look I get from with my hair is sensational. With the right amount of Murray’s Superior in my hair, I look like a movie star out of the 1920s. You can't beat the price of the Vintage Murray's Superior. It's a great deal. I bought it from Murray's own website and I went with the bulk deal to cover the shipping costs.

$butch.jpg

Lucky Tiger Cru Butch & Control Wax

I went with the Lucky Tiger Butch Wax today. It’s medium pomade that gives a more natural look. It’s a pomade that Elvis Presley was said to use early in his career in 1956. It has decent hold but nothing to shout about. It’s nothing like Murray’s Superior or some of the heavy wax base pomades. This is old school pomade that was created in the 1920s, I believe. It’s been around forever. They say you can use it for a flattop, but I think there are far better products than this one for that type of hairstyle.

I purchased a bunch of this stuff recently. That’s the main reason why I’m using it. I loved the look but washing it out of my hair proved to be nearly impossible. It took me four washes to get out of my hair. Groom and Clean couldn’t remove it from my hair. Lucky Tiger Cru Wax pomade is excellent to use for the first day. However, my hair doesn’t look nearly as good on the second day unless I get in the shower and wet my hair and restyle. In other words, I can’t restyle my hair after I sleep with the pomade in it, because it dries my hair into weird shapes that are impossible to comb out. I literally have to get my hair totally wet in order to restyle it. With Murray’s, I can pretty much comb out the weird shapes that my hair is in after I wake up. I don’t need to get my hair wet because Murray’s allows me to comb it dry.

My hair does not look great today with Lucky Tiger pomade in it. Yesterday, I looked fantastic with this stuff in it. My looked light, shiny, and it was literally perfect., When I get used to using heavy pomades that give me a look of having a lot of product in my hair, it's nice to be able to change it up to a medium pomade like Lucky Tiger. The only drawback is the lack of hold and difficulty washing this stuff out. I'm confident that I'll be able to wash it out using Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Moist conditioner. I was able to take out Murray's Xtra heavy pomade out with a single wash with this product. If it works on Murray's, then it sure as heck should be able to work on Lucky Tiger Cru Butch Wax.

The Pros

- It gives a natural look
- Decent shine
- Moderate hold
- Relative lost cost. I purchased it for $10.30 for 3.5oz.
- Has a nice flowery scent that’s not too overpowering

The Cons

- The hold is too weak for my hair unless I put a ton of product in
- It’s more expensive than it’s worth in my opinion. I can products for less that give my hair a far better look
- Very, very difficult to wash out. The grease comes out in the first wash, but the wax remains for several more washes.

Ingredients:

Petrolatum
Microcrystalline Wax
Fragrance, D & C Red No. 17

Last edited:
$aussie3.jpg

Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Moist conditioner

I used Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Moist to remove the Lucky Tiger Cru Butch Wax today, and it worked like a charm. I used three small scoops for the front and back of my hair, applying it like it was pomade, and then combing it through. I waited approximately 3 minutes before washing it out with shampoo and conditioner. It removed ALL of the Lucky Tiger Cru Butch Wax, leaving my hair squeaky clean. I must say i was very, very impressed. Aussie 3 minute Miracle works a lot better than Suave Groom and Clean for removing pomade. It's fast and very effective. For the gents that are afraid of Murray's or other petroleum base pomades due to the hassle of washing it out, they should purchase Aussie 3 Minute Miracle and use this to wash the pomade out. My hair completely pomade free after I used this product.

I paid $4 for the Aussie 3 minute Miracle in buying it in bulk. You can get it on Amazon and Ebay with free shipping.

All in all, I'm very pleased with this product. I wish I had discovered it years ago because it would have saved me a lot of headaches in removing pomade.

Top Bottom