What's new

Newbies, show off your gear!

I know it is fun to look at some of the amazing collections or ultra rare razors that some people have. But it is also fun, for me at least, to look at the gear that people start out with. When I very first started out I had a VDH boar and VDH soap that I kept in a coffee mug (I can still tear the clanging and tinking noises it would make every time I lathered). Here is a picture of my first razors, that I found at an antique store.

$DE1.JPG

So to all the new guys out there. What gear have you gathered to start your wet shaving journey?

Chubby 3 in Manchurian
Wee Scott
Truefitt & Hill Carlton razor
Muhle r41
Many soaps

Oh come on, that's your noob gear? Chubby 3 Manchurian? :glare: My first brush was a hollow plastic Edwin Jagger with trimmed tips (so scratchy it kept me from discovering face-lathering).

The first picture is what it started with. I found the razor at a garage sale for $5 and a shave set and from Wally World for under $15. The aqua velva was bought at drugstore for $7. After a few months I have upgraded a little. The second picture is what I'm currently using daily. The Razor and a few packs of blades I bought online from the Handlebar Supply for $50. The Proraso shave soap and aftershave was bought at a local pharmacy for $25.

Edit: Sorry but I can't figure out how to flip the picture.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 5,871
Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Really? a Manchurian? I had a Colonel Conk that was falling apart and I finally upgraded to a pure badger Vulfix. Schick Krona and a Super Speed.

Not the complete contents of my shave den, but rather a quick glimpse of a few things I have on hand. I'm using the 1959 Flare tip Super Speed with Astra SP. In the Jim Beam mug is a puck of Williams on the bottom topped with a puck of EJ Sandalwood (my previous bowl broke - so i mixed) AoS Uncented Cream and Bigelow cream (my version of super lather) as well as my Nivea pre-shave scrub. In the background in my new R.Becker scuttle. And brushes left to right, AoS Badger, Tweezerman Badger, and VDH boar.

$IMG_20121201_230045.jpg$IMG_20121202_002633.jpg$IMG_20121202_002646.jpg

Oh come on, that's your noob gear? Chubby 3 Manchurian? :glare: My first brush was a hollow plastic Edwin Jagger with trimmed tips (so scratchy it kept me from discovering face-lathering).

If that is your starter gear then you are a lucky guy lol

Really? a Manchurian? I had a Colonel Conk that was falling apart and I finally upgraded to a pure badger Vulfix. Schick Krona and a Super Speed.

Err yes noob. I got the brush about 2 weeks ago. I started classical shaving 2 months ago.

I initially started with a freebie Omega (definitely synthetic hair) I got from flying business on Emirates Airlines. Used it for a month.
Then I got a Best Crabtree & Evelyn for 2 weeks before the Manchurian arrived.

I agree about the face lathering thingy. I hated face lathering with the synthetic Omega and the Best CT&E was too floppy for face lathering.

A butterscotch Simpson is not a noob brush.

Alright.

I shall refrain from using it till I either accumulate 150 DEs haves of which I have not shed more than a total of 30ml of blood.

But in the meantime, why is it not a noob brush? Does it require a special painting motion that my motor skills have yet to acquire?
Or are my muscles not massive enough to generate the necessary RPM to produce lather?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by infiniti30
A butterscotch Simpson is not a noob brush.

why is it not a noob brush?

~~~in best badger the chubby 3 now retails for approx. $230...the one you have, is loads more...most noobs start out with less expensive kit, like $7 drug store boar shave brushes, or maybe a $35 Parker best badger tops, for instance. it's not that a n00b can't start there, but most are frugal when dipping their toes into the waters

other colloquial referrences...
VDH starter kit found @ Wal-Mart...uber cheap!

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

There is no such thing as gear that is not for newbies. Remember, everyone on this site is not in the same place in their lives. Some are students and can't afford more than a cheap VDH starter kit, while others are fully employed or even business owners who can afford to splurge more on their 'beginner' gear. I believe the comments were all made in jest, I just don't want people to think they can't participate in the thread because of their gear.

Holy crap Rob - that "noob gear" looks like an arsenal of fine products including a straight! I'm gonna assume that you are actually a barber in remission :). Nice tip on the magnifying mirror. Is this a Home Depot/Lowes purchase?

There is no such thing as gear that is not for newbies. Remember, everyone on this site is not in the same place in their lives. Some are students and can't afford more than a cheap VDH starter kit, while others are fully employed or even business owners who can afford to splurge more on their 'beginner' gear. I believe the comments were all made in jest, I just don't want people to think they can't participate in the thread because of their gear.

Vez is spot-on mates! If I could go back to when I started I may have invested in different gear than now; some of the items I bought were stepping stones to the kit I currently have. Having said that, most of my original kit still gets used in rotation, specifically my first adjustable (slim) and Proraso which though cheap is NEVER going to be missing from my den. For the record I'm in my 40s, DINK but as a student or newlywed was skint most of the time. Just post your dens boys, we love to see pics!

p.s. LOVE that CH 3...!

Top Bottom