What's new

3M Micro Abrasive Film for Sharpening

Keith at HandAmerican www.handamerican.com used to sell high grit sandpaper and films. I do not know if they still carry them, or not. If they still do, you can actually get individual sheets, instead of multipaks. It is much cheaper that way.

I contemplated using the films, but Keith strongly recommended that I go with the papers instead. He said that the films would not withstand frequent placing and removing on/from a base.

I did pick up some Pinnacle honing films at a local Woodcraft, and would have to agree with Keith. They were a pain to install and remove from my granite tile. The films were 15, 5 and 0.3 micron (roughly 1200, 4500 and 80,000 grits).

I ended up getting a few sheets of 2000, 4000, 9000, and 60,000 grit sandpaper from HandAmerican and cutting them into 3"x9" strips. Using HandAmerican's temporary adhesive to hold the sandpaper strips to a granite tile, I was able to somewhat successfully hone a restoration straight razor.

If you want to hone a straight razor and don't want to purchase stones, hones, or pasted strops, then give higher grit sandpaper a try. It is definitely cheaper.

Bob

Top Bottom