What's new

Galhatz' Shave log

The beginning was not that great:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/318939-first-shave-not-so-great

But now I am on my 3rd shave with the humble Dovo and it is going rather well.
I read that 1/2 hollow is stiffer and more forgiving for user error so I got a 5/8 Best Class from SRD.
I still get very slight irritation around the more challenging areas (chin mainly) but the cheeks are great. 2nd shave was not bad at all.
This one got the pretty darn good award from the management. I am still experimenting with angles.
The most important thing for me was to keep the skin tight. Once I got that dialed in, everything else followed.
About the Dovo, I can't complain and can't compare. It is easy to hold and just feels smooth.
The edge is starting to suffer from my poor stropping, I will need to improve on that. I might send it back to Lynn for the free hone that was included in the deal.

My other razor is a TI I got from a friend. It is the stainless steel scale model AOS sells and it was an awful experience because the scale is very heavy which makes it very hard to judge the pressure and weight of the blade. I will probably get it re-scaled. Why would TI come up with those scales is beyond me.

Today's shave was a little less than 30 minutes which is not bad. I might be able to squeeze it into my daily routine on a regular basis.

The beginning was not that great:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/318939-first-shave-not-so-great

But now I am on my 3rd shave with the humble Dovo and it is going rather well.
I read that 1/2 hollow is stiffer and more forgiving for user error so I got a 5/8 Best Class from SRD.
I still get very slight irritation around the more challenging areas (chin mainly) but the cheeks are great. 2nd shave was not bad at all.
This one got the pretty darn good award from the management. I am still experimenting with angles.
The most important thing for me was to keep the skin tight. Once I got that dialed in, everything else followed.
About the Dovo, I can't complain and can't compare. It is easy to hold and just feels smooth.
The edge is starting to suffer from my poor stropping, I will need to improve on that. I might send it back to Lynn for the free hone that was included in the deal.

My other razor is a TI I got from a friend. It is the stainless steel scale model AOS sells and it was an awful experience because the scale is very heavy which makes it very hard to judge the pressure and weight of the blade. I will probably get it re-scaled. Why would TI come up with those scales is beyond me.

Today's shave was a little less than 30 minutes which is not bad. I might be able to squeeze it into my daily routine on a regular basis.

the typical TI scales are nice and easy to buy and replace

I'm still working on my blade angle and best ways to stretch the parts I'm shaving as well. Eventually they'll be more automatic for both of us, I'm sure. Nice to hear it's going better.

Very good news. As experience grow satisfaction grows. Now you are stuck with it there is no way back. Just take your time. Do not try to squeze it in everyday routine, strech the routine. I am enjoying this so much that I wake up a bit earlier in order to have time. I have tried to change my routine and shave at night but i couldnt. It is so refreshing in the morning. Remember that the average shaves for someone's muscle memory to be loaded is about 100 shaves. Now with regards to stropping there are also some videos that you can watch but be sure that there is no strop without nicks and cuts. I beleive that the first razor may needs honing if you were stropping wrongly.

4th shave with the dovo.
I changed my lather: I mixed proraso, liquid glycerin and liquid lanolin. That combo os very slick and worked better for me on straight razor than Mike's and MWF.
The shavevwas good but tiredness and complecantness awarded me with a few scratches on my left cheek.
I went for a second wtg pass which was not needed and just irritated me.
I think I am going to stick with evening shaves for a while due to morning timing.
Also, I stropped it a lot this time and it paid off. I am not going to buy a fancy strop yet so its wd pm's, starshaving paddle. I wrapped a piece of denim around it instead of linen and I think it had a good impact.
The pm's I regret. It is too small, instead getting two replacement leather components for the rich man's would gave served me better. I'll probably get those this week.

I had to put this on hold due to lack of time and sleep (twin babies...).
I picked it up again earlier this week and it did not go well at all. I started looking into a Feather Artist Club and compare it to regular SR. I read a bunch of threads here and elsewhere, and on one of them some said about the FAC that it doesn't glide as well as a real SR.
Glide? what do you mean glide? isn't it supposed to get stuck? I ask... well I better let it glide then!

Also, I started using Geo F Trumper cream and it makes all the gliding business very easy.

Gliding in mind, the WTG pass went really well. Doing an XTG pass with my right hand. With my left handed XTG pass, I stopped at the nick of time before getting a nasty cut, I was envisioning a gush of blood but it was almost nothing. The worst bleeding, I confess, was from my left ear as I was not super careful as I approached my left side for the first time...:blush: ... good thing my wife didn't see that one.

I still need to dial in the proper angle to get more cutting and less scraping. My face was much less "raw" than before but I did feel it and an hour later came that nice buzz when it gets better... you know what I mean.

So my first shave for 2013 was straight one and I am glad it was.
Happy new year to you all!

I can relate, come close to nicking myself while moving the blade to get it in place for a stroke. Ever vigilant is the motto for sure when you have one of those razors in your hand. :)

Congrats on the first shave of the year, it went about as well as mine did, for what it's worth. lol

Top Bottom