What's new

Double Edge/Single Edge/Safety Razors ?

The main problem with making a newbie feel so welcomed is that you all will be subjected to the most basic of questions...you have no one to blame but yourselves, I never expected to be more welcomed. (but since the table has been set...)

So as many of you as care too please explain the differences between a DE/SE/Safety razors, AND if the wife of a newbie should increase her life insurance policy
if I were to use one over the other ? :blink:

Double edge: a razor with a disposable blade that has two cutting edges opposite of each other. The razorhead, thus, has two, usually identical, shaving sides. The blade is the one that most know as "razorblade".

Single edge: A bit more uncommon razor with disposable blades. Blades and razorhead have only one cutting side. Blade styles vary - some models use disposable straight razor blades, while others have different ones.

Safety razor: A common name used about all non-straight, non-electric wetshave razors. Usually, though, considered to mean the double edge razor.

Straight razor: the knife.

AND if the wife of a newbie should increase her life insurance policy if I were to use one over the other ? :blink:

I refuse to play with Straights because I shave early in the morning before PT (Army schedule). I see myself needing trips to the ER because I'll be tired. If you are awake when you shave, you're probably at no greater risk to self than with a DE. Assuming you pay attention to the knife at your neck.

I refuse to play with Straights because I shave early in the morning before PT (Army schedule). I see myself needing trips to the ER because I'll be tired. If you are awake when you shave, you're probably at no greater risk to self than with a DE. Assuming you pay attention to the knife at your neck.

The thing about an SR that I have found is that because it's an SR I'm instantly paying 100x more attention to every stroke... Get a starter kit, you know you want to.

A DE is a double edge safety razor, an SE is a single edge safety razor. They are safe, you just need to learn the proper technique to using them. Neither is more or less safe than the other, but their techniques are different.

SE razors use a thicker blade which you can usually see sold at hardware stores for scraping stuff. I absolutely love SE razors, as I find they are very sharp and last longer than DE blades. Combined with an aggressive shaver such as a GEM Micromatic Open Comb, you will experience nirvana (YMMV, but I was converted!).

The straight requires more skill, time, and patience to master. I recommend you try any one the interests you. I am looking forward to getting a straight razor in the future. I was never interested in trying an SE razor, but I was fortunate to be one of the selectees in a generous PIF and I loved it!

Good luck and I wish you many happy shaves!

No, YOU need to get the insurance policy because some wives don't like seeing their hubby in ecstasy with a new hobby.

Top Bottom