What's new

Escher/Thuringian love. show of your rocks

Thanks, it is my first Thuri. I am excited to get it.
You will love it. Yours is probably a bit softer than mine. I bet it is an amazing stone. Looks about twice as thick as mine. You could beat on and slurry that thing to death and it would still last forever.

I have a couple more YG bouts coming from Peter too. I also am going to go all out on two stones on the bay right now. They aren't labeled so if I overpay hopefully I can win em.

You will love it. Yours is probably a bit softer than mine. I bet it is an amazing stone. Looks about twice as thick as mine. You could beat on and slurry that thing to death and it would still last forever.

I have a couple more YG bouts coming from Peter too. I also am going to go all out on two stones on the bay right now. They aren't labeled so if I overpay hopefully I can win em.

I think it will last a few generations :).

Just won this possible Barbers Delight(Non transitional layer though)
proxy.php

Someone bid me up at the last second. Still worth the price though IMO. Should be a nice YG.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Cool stone. I was watching that one. I didn't go after it because I was afraid it had been used with oil.

Anybody ever really had any serious issues with oil or petroleum on thuringian stones ?

I had about 3 Stones which were really dirty with all types of gunk, one smelled like peteoleum another i thought oil was used....

After all stones were well lapped i tried out if any water reaction occured on the stones but this was on all three not the case, also they were usable like all the other stones....

So anybody had a stone he could throw into the bin ????

David

I have a hard DB that was covered in oil when I got it. After some simple green and lapping its fine now. I just assumed it would effect a softer stone more but maybe not.

Congratulations on the win. At that price, what was the allure of continuing to bid without it being a named stone?
I don't care about a label. It had a label at one time which is good enough for me. I don't plan on reselling it anyway, it is for my collection.

And the price isn't bad really(though I expected to pay 40$ less). If you can find a 6 x 2 YG with original rubber for less than $200 I would very much like to see it.

If it was labeled I would expect it to sell for $500+ anyway, those 5" x 2.5" DB droeschers went for 400$+ recently.

Also the gunk could just be grime not oil. My ambicut looked almost the same before cleaning but it was not oil just grime from the ages.

Just won this possible Barbers Delight(Non transitional layer though)

Someone bid me up at the last second. Still worth the price though IMO. Should be a nice YG.

Yeah, that's a BD. It has been used with oil. Some Simple Green should fix it up though. I was in on it, but stopped short of where it went. Easily worth twice what it went for, but I just don't need it or have the money right now. Nice score.

The last labeled BD I saw went for around $700. They've broken $1000 in the past more than once.

Ya I saw that one in like April sell for around $1300. Craziness!

I just won that 10" stone from Germany also, if it's legit I got a really good price(under $300). Those two plus the 3 more stones coming from Peter should hold me over on Thuris for a good while. The seller just sent some pics of the 10" and it is from the YG/B transition layer like a Barbers Delight, pretty cool!

The 10" one-
proxy.php

Now I want to focus on getting a Lorraine Rouge and red La Lune amoung other stones.

Last edited:
Woot! Dancing the happy dance on Cloud 9 over here! So happy I'm about to burst! I really really wanted to try one of these for so long!

Check this beauty out! 8.25" (210mm) x 1.75" (45mm) x .75" (19mm):

Dry shots:

$IMG_20150311_141402.jpg$IMG_20150311_140725361.jpg

Wet:

$IMG_20150311_141513.jpg

I can't believe I snatched this right out from under everyone's noses on eBay for a pittance! Very shocked at that one. Although it's probably the only possible way I would ever have had one. I'm not going to say what I paid - you guys might be mad at me, lol. The best part is, once I got her out of her coffin, she told me her name...

Escher!

$IMG_20150311_141537.jpg

P.S. So how about it, what would you say this color is, yellow green?

P.P.S. Anyone know where I might find a slurry stone for not too much?

Last edited:

David

Cool stone, congrats. Peter should be able to hook you up with a slurry stone.

Last edited:

David

Cool. I like eschers like that. Just enough label that you know for sure that its an Escher but you can use it without fear of getting something wet. One of my best eschers has a perfect label and I don't use it much because it just feels too nice to use...if that makes sense.

Top Bottom