What's new

Restoration - Fuller Brush with New TGN Synthetic

On the thread below I discussed the new TGN synthetic knot series that is available for custom makers or restorers.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/320404-New-Synthetic-Knots-at-TGN

I had a brush in mind for the 20 mm knot.

The Fuller brush in the image below was originally a first generation nylon brush from the 1950s or maybe at best early 1960s.

proxy.php

Starting from upper left, the brush came with a stand and placing a standard badger knot would prove to be difficult since it would bloom and have difficulty in resting in the stand without deforming. Since it started out as a synthetic, it would continue as a synthetic.

The brush itself in the upper center is shown with the new knot. First the fibers were cut off with a pair of wire cutters. The main issue of some of these vintage brushes is that when you drill and grind into the old knot base to remove it, the old glue heats up and creates a hot mess that is difficult to remove. This was one of those types that took an extra time scraping to get it clean. The hole was now 21 mm and could accept the new knot (lower left hand image). The knot was placed in with 2 part epoxy and left to sit for 24 hours and the results are seen lower center and in the extreme right hand side with the brush in its holder.

Now to the shave. I only have a short time before I am out of commission again so I wanted to see how the new knot performed under face lathering conditions.
I got the Wilkinson Stick and after the shower, rubbed it all over my face only and dunked the brush fibers about 2/3 of the way into water and gave two shakes and began to lather.

The brush has quite a bit of backbone and compared to the old 23 mm TGN synthetic knot has slightly less backbone and I was able to easily lather my face for the first pass with a thick layer. Without adding any soap, the second lather was made on my head and a nice smooth lather was generated from the soap in the brush. The third pass was made on the face with just a slight dunk of the brush tips in water only to generate a medium lather.

I was able to lather enough for another very thin layer that I was able to shave with my DE on both my head and face. A very good shave and good performance. Throughout the lathering I used strong circular motions and had no loss of fibers or knot bonding issues. All in all this small knot performs better than I expected since I prefer synthetics in the 23 - 28 mm range.

Now to the handle, this is actually a nice handle size wise to use as a travel brush and it is easy to handle and with the synthetic knot I do not have to worry about circular motions and of course it dries fast and in its own stand.

All in all, a good weekend project.

Today I used WARS cream at about a nickel sized drop. There was enough lather generated in the bowl for 3 face passes and 2 head passes of thick lather. WARS is a great cream and is one of my favorites!

This knot is slightly better in performance than the old TGN 23 mm synthetic, but not as good as the Muhle V1, or the H.I.S. fiber.

All in all a good choice for customs and restorers.

Since I will be out for CT surgery, I will be leaving the brushes and traditional shaving implements alone for the next couple of weeks until I can get the all clear from the Doc (and just when I was having fun).

Top Bottom