What's new

A good brushless shaving cream or gel?

I'm slowly converting my brother to the fine lifestyle choice of wet shaving, but so far he is too scared to make the full jump. He has begun trying different shaving products because i've at least impressed upon him how HUGE of a difference they can make. He just bought some Jack Black beard lube and after learning a couple techniques he is much happier with the results. He recieved a sample of another which I am uncertain of what it is, but he says that it is "the closest, smoothest, most amazing shave" he's ever gotten.

I was just curious if anyone could recommend a good brushless shaving cream or gel that he could try. Or if there are tricks to just getting him to jump in and wet shave, that would be preferable ;)

thanks in advance :)

Barbasol.

I knew that if I just told my brother about using a DE and brush he wouldn't do it, so I sent him a razor, brush and blades and he ended up loving it. He later told me he wouldn't have done it himself, and was happy I sent him the package. I originally sent him a 60's Superspeed, Astra SP blades, Semogue 1305 brush and come QCS shaving cream samples and a small tube of C.O. Bigelow.

Last edited:
You cannot go wrong with KMF and they are also found locally. http://www.kissmyface.com/product/grid/35/204

My personal favorite cream in general though is anything by Truefitt & Hill :euro:. They don't advertise their creams as brush-less but many will tell you they are because of how easy they are to get a great lather. Start him out with a cheap $10 sample pack until he decides what he likes. http://www.truefittandhill.com/items_37.html Once he realized how great these products are he will add the brush, and its downhill from there ;)

Here is another B&B thread that might help you. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/116811-Brushless-Shaving-Creams-Revealed-and-Compared

Barbasol.

I knew that if I just told my brother about using a DE and brush he wouldn't do it, so I sent him a razor, brush and blades and he ended up loving it. He later told me he wouldn't have done it himself, and was happy I sent him the package. I originally sent him a 60's Superspeed, Astra SP blades, Semogue 1305 brush and come QCS shaving cream samples and a small tube of C.O. Bigelow.

You read my mind, my next question would be recomendations :) I was going to look into a semogue brush, i just ordered my first 100 Astra blades, and have some C.O. Bigelow and Cella i could give him. It sounds like my next step should be to order a Brush and to find a DE razor he might like. Do you think it would be better to just find a Superspeed, find an adjustable, or find a cheaper "new" razor?

You cannot go wrong with KMF and they are also found locally. http://www.kissmyface.com/product/grid/35/204

My personal favorite cream in general though is anything by Truefitt & Hill :euro:. They don't advertise their creams as brush-less but many will tell you they are because of how easy they are to get a great lather. Start him out with a cheap $10 sample pack until he decides what he likes. http://www.truefittandhill.com/items_37.html Once he realized how great these products are he will add the brush, and its downhill from there ;)

Here is another B&B thread that might help you. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/116811-Brushless-Shaving-Creams-Revealed-and-Compared

wow, thanks for the gentle nudge into an awesome post! i've never seen that one before, and will most deffinately read that page, it's great looking. I've heard a lot of great things about Truefitt & Hill, will have to think about that as an option :)

Nancyboy is a very well-regarded brushless cream on this forum, it also has been at least in my experience the best brushless shaving cream I've tried.

I have not tried nancyboy without a brush yet. In the past (years ago) I used CO Bigelow (Proraso) brushless with my Mach3 and loved it

IMHO, most products can be "finger lathered".... I've shaved with Arko, applying normally and "working" it with my hand... but I went for nearly 20 years shaving with a Mach-3 and lubricating with Irish Spring bath soap.
Same for creams, though I think you end up using a bit more product than you would dispensing into a bowl and bowl lathering or dispensing onto the brush and face lathering.

You read my mind, my next question would be recomendations :) I was going to look into a semogue brush, i just ordered my first 100 Astra blades, and have some C.O. Bigelow and Cella i could give him. It sounds like my next step should be to order a Brush and to find a DE razor he might like. Do you think it would be better to just find a Superspeed, find an adjustable, or find a cheaper "new" razor?

I'd be careful with the Semogue. I really like my SOC, and a lot of guys use nothing but boars; however, a new guy trying to decide if he wants to jump into wetshaving might give up during the rather lengthy break-in period. I'd shoot for a decent badger or pick up a restored vintage brush, which would go well with a vintage razor, which is probably also your best bet. Just my opinion.

I'd be careful with the Semogue. I really like my SOC, and a lot of guys use nothing but boars; however, a new guy trying to decide if he wants to jump into wetshaving might give up during the rather lengthy break-in period. I'd shoot for a decent badger or pick up a restored vintage brush, which would go well with a vintage razor, which is probably also your best bet. Just my opinion.

He does not do well with the waiting for satisfaction, so I was thinking if I went the boar route, i would end up getting it for him and then Palm lathering it for him for a couple of weeks so it was broken in some. But as you say An inexpensive badger brush might have "more of a hook". If he decides that he likes it, then he may have enough encouragement to keep it up through break in stage.

He does not do well with the waiting for satisfaction, so I was thinking if I went the boar route, i would end up getting it for him and then Palm lathering it for him for a couple of weeks so it was broken in some. But as you say An inexpensive badger brush might have "more of a hook". If he decides that he likes it, then he may have enough encouragement to keep it up through break in stage.
It's really more the time involved. A badger will "break in" almost instantly, whereas a boar will not reach its potential for a month or more. Don't go bargain basement on a badger, though. There are several worthy choices that you can get at a decent price point: for example, these have been generating a lot of positive buzz. Or, you can go the restore route.

A friend of mine recently gave me a sample of Portland General Store brushless cream called Racer. Now I have to say that I will never give up my thick luxurious lather and way too many brushes but I have to say that this stuff was amazing. The best part was after the shave, wow. I haven't checked the ingredients but they are supposed to be all natural I think but my skin never felt so smooth and moisturized. I am going to have to order some now to just be sure it wasn't a fluke with that smaller sample.

For brushless... I actually like Kiehl's "White Eagle" a lot. It seems much un- or at least under-liked on this forum; I think it's not liked because it clogs the razors, or clogs multi-blade carts. But if it's spread super thin (like "a molecule thick is all you need") it works very well. I use it for traveling, when I'm not bringing a brush.

I like other creams better, but I can't think of any that are brushless that I like better.

I like Stephans Stay Smooth when I go Brushless and have PIFed several samples to co-workers looking for something other than a can or Brush & Cream/Soap.

When traveling for Thanksgiving, I brought my Musgo Real shaving cream tube, but forgot my brush, so I used it "brushless" and it worked out pretty nice. I think you don't need to go with a strict "brushless" cream; you could probably go with Proraso, MR, just about anything.

Top Bottom