Thread: Don't think straight razors are for me!!!

Unhappy Don't think straight razors are for me!!!

Hi guys

Finished work early today and decided to spruce myself up and have a quick shave before meeting some friends for an early drink.

So I decided to give my shavette another try!

Big mistake!!!

No matter how much prep, how slow or angle of the blade (I have watched all the video's and taken advice) I cannot get a smooth, close shave no matter how hard I try (this is 5th attempt)!!

So I think I will stick with my DE's, maybe my face just isnt suited to straight blades :(

Regards
    Nigel
    [B]- NIGEL[/B]

[B]Razor:[/B] Merkur HD, Merkur Futur, Merkur Progress, GFT HD, Focus (blade razor) Gillette M4 Slim Adjustable, Gillette Executive Adjustable
    [B]Brushes:[/B] Vulfix Bristle, Vie-Long Badger, Vie-Long Horse Hair, Kent BK2, BK4 & BK8, Rooney Style 1 Finest, Simpsons PJ2 Best
    [B]Creams:[/B] Ingrams, GFT Sandalwood, T&H Trafalgar, Proraso
    [B]Soaps:[/B] GFT Limes, Floris JF, Kent
    [B]AS:[/B] Nivea Balm, Floris FJ EDT, GFT Sandalwood Cologne, L'Oreal Men Expert, Eucris, T&H Trafalgar

If you truly want to learn 5 shaves is not enough there is a steep learning curve with STR8's. Take your time I would also start with just your cheeks and DE for the rest when you master the cheeks add a little more and so on. Do not give up it is worth it. Good Luck

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    Hi guys

Finished work early today and decided to spruce myself up and have a quick shave before meeting some friends for an early drink.
    I have to say that what you said in the above statement describes the problem to me "quick shave" - definitely not the route you want to take if you are using a str8. Str8 shaves take some time.

Also I would recommend you to try a real str8. There is a world of different between a str8 and a shavette/

Images

Straight shaving is not for me either. A friend loaned me a honed and shave ready straight and I gave it a try. I was able to achieve good shaves but found that I am impatient. I realize that with practice my shave times would improve but I like me DE. Different strokes for different folks.

To say this is your 5th attempt with 2 exclamation marks like this is some outrageous amount of time you have spent using a straight simply tells the world you know nothing about straight razors. using a straight is nothing like a DE, it takes time and lots of it. If you don't have the inclination to learn properly and spend the time your right a straight is not for you. Also remember a shavette is not a straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebigspendur View Post
    To say this is your 5th attempt with 2 exclamation marks like this is some outrageous amount of time you have spent using a straight simply tells the world you know nothing about straight razors. using a straight is nothing like a DE, it takes time and lots of it. If you don't have the inclination to learn properly and spend the time your right a straight is not for you. Also remember a shavette is not a straight.
    Please don't get me wrong, I know 5 attempts is not enough, however I did not rush my shave at all, indeed it took me 25 minutes not including the prep, I just felt (IMHO) that my shave was not that close.

In fact it has left my skin sore (I do have sensitive skin) so my personal feeling is that I personally am not suited to straight razor shaving, I understand from others more qualified than I that not everyone is suited to this style of shaving!

Also I have never claimed to know much about straight razor shaving

Regards
    Nigel
    Last edited by Izzy; 12-14-2007 at 10:56 AM.
    [B]- NIGEL[/B]

[B]Razor:[/B] Merkur HD, Merkur Futur, Merkur Progress, GFT HD, Focus (blade razor) Gillette M4 Slim Adjustable, Gillette Executive Adjustable
    [B]Brushes:[/B] Vulfix Bristle, Vie-Long Badger, Vie-Long Horse Hair, Kent BK2, BK4 & BK8, Rooney Style 1 Finest, Simpsons PJ2 Best
    [B]AS:[/B] Nivea Balm, Floris FJ EDT, GFT Sandalwood Cologne, L'Oreal Men Expert, Eucris, T&H Trafalgar

Izzy

Man, I cut myself up for dinner and leftovers my first month with the shavette, so I know how you feel. By all means put it on the back burner for now; see how you feel in a month or so.

After all this is supposed to be fun, isn't it?

Best Regards

Graham

Why don't you try a real straight? The shavettes can be very harsh...so I hear.

Jordan

A shavette is not a real straight razor, it is a machined DE blade holder.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    If you truly want to learn 5 shaves is not enough there is a steep learning curve with STR8's. Take your time I would also start with just your cheeks and DE for the rest when you master the cheeks add a little more and so on. Do not give up it is worth it. Good Luck
    Quote Originally Posted by Amyn View Post
    I have to say that what you said in the above statement describes the problem to me "quick shave" - definitely not the route you want to take if you are using a str8. Str8 shaves take some time.

Also I would recommend you to try a real str8. There is a world of different between a str8 and a shavette/
    Yeah, wot dey sed.

If you don't want to go straight, you don't have to. But there is a 'learning curve' which means that for the first month or so you'll get second-rate shaves (or third-rate or 4th-rate) until you get the hang of it ... and it will take longer than you want.

You are probably better off with a real straight (but at this point you probably don't feel like paying for one and a strop ... ) rather than a shavette. If you stick with this thing, the results will come slowly, but ultimately very rewardingly.
    Be there or be square. Only I can do both!

"My lord, I will use them according to their desert."

"God's bodykins, man, much better: use every man
    after his desert, and who should 'scape whipping?"

Veteran of the Great Irisch Moos Campaign of 2008-09

Quote Originally Posted by jnich67 View Post

Jordan
    You hear correctly. At least in my case, the shavette gave me crap shaves, a lot of nicks, and 2 small scars. My straight has given me good to great shaves (getting better every day), one nicked mole, and a couple of weepers over the course of about 3 weeks.

There is a very large difference between the two.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by jnich67 View Post

Jordan
    I wanted to try a shavette first to see how things went.

My main area of concern is caring for the straight, I already get up at 03.55am so I can enjoy a relaxed DE shave (I'm normally in my office by 05.45am) so I am concerned that I may not have the time to strop correctly. So I thought the shavette was a good way to start, indeed it was recomended to me.

I am not trying in any way to cause a problem here, its just my experience.

Regards
    Nigel
    [B]- NIGEL[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    In fact it has left my skin sore (I do have sensitive skin) so my personal feeling is that I personally am not suited to straight razor shaving, I understand from others more qualified than I that not everyone is suited to this style of shaving!
    I am not trying to be rude so please do not take my comment as such, but it is not one's skin type that determines if straight razor shaving is suited for them, it is their personality. Anyone who tells you that a DE will shave better than a sharp straight razor has either not learned to get their razor sharp enough, does not know how to maintain the edge, or does not know how to use the razor properly. All of these individual skills can take a lot of time to develop and if one is lacking then the shave will suffer (unless you get your razor honed by a honemeister). The straight razor was and is the greatest shaving implement ever created if it is used properly; however, learning to get it sharp, maintain it, and use it properly is a very big commitment that most people should probably not take. The DE will quickly and easily give you great results as you have already experienced, so I suggest that you stick with that.

Quote Originally Posted by heavydutysg135 View Post
    A shavette is not a real straight razor, it is a machined DE blade holder.

Don't want to add confusion to an otherwise all-or-nothing thought process, but it just might be the ticket to use a DE during the week and a real straight on the weekend when you can actually take the time to absorb the experience.

After all, using a straight forces you to slow down, focus, and ponder the wonders of the world.

Default My Reply

Guys

I thank you for all your comments, however, I have decided to stick to DE shaving for the forseable future, maybe I will try a real straight in the near future.

In the meantime I must get another DE. LOL

Regards
    Nigel
    [B]- NIGEL[/B]