What's new

Mama Bear loading?

I just tried my new Mama Bear Andy's mint soap yesterday and use my normal routine but it didn't lather as well as some of my other soaps. My routine is soak the brush in hot water while I take a shower and then squeeze out the brush pretty hard and load it for 30 seconds. I also sometime put a teaspoon of water on top of the soap itself while my brush is soaking and pour it into the bowl before I load the brush.

I assume the brush needs to be a little drier and maybe load it longer. I was just wondering whoever has experience with MB soap is it a water hungry soap or not?

Thanks

That's been my experience with several glycerine-based soaps, including Mama Bears and Ogallala.
Poor lather, and irritation, I have to stick with creams or tallow-based soap.

I like some glycerin based soaps a whole lot. I put more than a teaspoon of water on top of the puck while the brush is soaking, though. Like, several Tablespoons, even, sometimes. Works real well.

I can get them to work but it takes a minute. It's no Williams prep time but close.

Take a damp brush and load like your life depends on it. Then add copious amounts of water. Eventually it will bloom. I wish it were easier because her scents rock.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I cover the soap in water if it's in a tub and have no issues loading post-shower. No problems with Sue's sticks either.

I must be really lucky then 'cause lathering Mama Bear's takes me no time at all. I find it faster than Proraso soap even. My routine is to soak the brush for a couple minutes while I shower, remove from water and give two shakes. I load for maybe 10-15 secs, just until I start to get soap bubbles in the soap itself and then I transfer to either the bowl or my face. I've not had any issues and find the soap to be a great latherer, great scent and beautiful performer for protection (both glide and cushion). I've used it successfully with both DE and straight shaves

Every soap is affected by your water quality, oils in your skin, etc. so don't forget it's a huge YMMV thing. All the best with finding the best soaps for you!

Cheers,

M.

I only have one MB soap and don't use it that often, but I don't have a problem with it. As with most soaps, I completely cover the soap with hot water while the brush soaks. I always do at least 100 swirls on a soap to load, but the amount of water I shake out of the brush depends more on the brush than the soap. With my well water, face lathering gives me much better results. My bowl/scuttle lather was always hit or miss, mostly miss, especially with soaps.

I have no issues with MB soaps. My routine is similar to yours. I soak my brush, but then I shake it out 4 or 5 times. I swirl the brush on the soap for one minute and fifteen seconds. That gets me enough lather for 3 or 4 passes. Once I lather my face for the first pass I usually have dip the tip of the brush in water to get the lather to the consistency I'm looking for. I have never had to cover the soap with hot water to get a lather. Keep in mind I live in the Chicago area where our water is pretty soft. I hope this helps.

I like to start with a wet brush and load slowly loading different angles of the brush for a 15-25 second time frame. I don't count just continually look at the brush I may even add a few drops of water once or twice as needed before I face lather. I only have 1 puck of her soap but have not had problems with loading any type of soap since using a wet brush. Good luck getting your soap to lather I hope this helps you.

...My routine is to soak the brush for a couple minutes while I shower, remove from water and give two shakes... I've not had any issues and find the soap to be a great latherer, great scent and beautiful performer for protection (both glide and cushion)...

+1

I start with a soaked, but well shaken brush. While loading I add a little bit of water at a time, till ready. Takes me less than a minute. Before face lathering, I dip just the brush tips into the water, then proceed. Good luck, and enjoy every shave!

WOW thanks for all the responses.

I will try the wetter brush and loading longer tip.

If that doesn't work i'll try the hot water on top of the soap.

I can get melt and pours to work but I have to load the hell out of them first. Even then the result is just Ok and most scents are just too pungent and irritation is common

I can get melt and pours to work but I have to load the hell out of them first. Even then the result is just Ok and most scents are just too pungent and irritation is common

Perhaps they are more sensitive to hard water issues.

On the irritation, I never used Mama Bears for more than 2 days in a row at first.
3 days in a row with Ogallala and the next morning my face looked like it had a severe sunburn. I was on the way out the door and SWMBO commented that I should put something on my face... and she NEVER comments about sunburn.
Tallow that evening and my face was normal the next morning.

A couple of weeks later I tried MB again, and after the 2nd shave, I could feel the irritation starting again.
The Ogallala went into the bin (I only paid $5 for the puck) and a stick of SIM got milled into the container.
I kept the MB since it seems that I can tolerate it every now and then and I do like the scent.

I've been using MB soap since July--Andy's mint as well-- and it took me a while to fully figure out this soap. With my silvertip shaken a few times I swirl against the soap for about 45 seconds and face lather. I don't use much excess water. Good luck - it's one of my top soaps!

I tried it again a few minutes ago and it worked this time. I used a little too much water but I'll fling more water off next time.

It got really creamy but I never have been able to make it thick at white on my face even with other brands.

Top Bottom