What's new

Cartridge Shaver Question from a Neewbie

Hi all,

Im new to wet shaving and have been using a DE shaver (EJ DE89 with Astor Blades) I would say that I get a DFS not a BBS, but that's OK first two times out.

My question/observation is that when I was using a Cartridge razor I seemed to get a closer shave in that the next day I didn't have as much razor stuble/ growth as I do with my DE shaver. I wonder if that's because the cartridge razor is actually pulling the hair out and cutting at the root? Whereas the DE razor simply glides along the face and cuts the hair at the facial level without pulling it up? I do a 2-3 pass shave.

Thanks,

Dave

Welcome aboard.

I experienced this initially as well. As my technique improved with practice, those sort of results started going in the opposite direction. Once you master the DE, it will give a shave that is generally at least equivalent, but for many of us overall superior to a shave with a cart.

Blade selection can also affect this. You may want to look into getting a sampler of various different blades, test them out, find blades that work the best for you.

DE razors= small short strokes and a bar to limit blade exposure
Cartridge razor=drag with pressure to get razor to cut hairs
straight razor=no bar like DE to limit closeness

Welcome aboard.

I experienced this initially as well. As my technique improved with practice, those sort of results started going in the opposite direction. Once you master the DE, it will give a shave that is generally at least equivalent, but for many of us overall superior to a shave with a cart.

Blade selection can also affect this. You may want to look into getting a sampler of various different blades, test them out, find blades that work the best for you.

+1 Once your technique is fine, you will need basically no pressure with a DE to get a great shave as opposed to the carts where you are always applying pressure to get a good shave, in my opinion.

Top Bottom