What's new

Making alcohol-based A/Ss moisturizing

I like alcohol-based aftershaves, but most of them leave my skin dry and I have to follow with some kind of balm. But Musgo Real splash is plenty moisturizing on its own. I've been thinking of adding some ingredients to other splashes to make them more moisturizing and have three questions for the group:
  1. Has anyone tried this? If so, how satisfactory was the result?
  2. What are the right things to add? I'm thinking glycerin and witch hazel . . .
  3. How much of each ingredient should be added?

I like alcohol-based aftershaves, but most of them leave my skin dry and I have to follow with some kind of balm. But Musgo Real splash is plenty moisturizing on its own. I've been thinking of adding some ingredients to other splashes to make them more moisturizing and have three questions for the group:
  1. Has anyone tried this? If so, how satisfactory was the result?
  2. What are the right things to add? I'm thinking glycerin and witch hazel . . .
  3. How much of each ingredient should be added?

Musgo has glycerine, witch hazel, echinacea and aloe.

I often find that a little bit of glycerine goes a long way - that's one of the reason the Booster products are nicer to the skin than Clubman or AV.

I use an eye dropper and add a little bit at a time until I get the right mix. A little witch hazel (unscented) would also be a good addition, but I've not found the need.

However, you'll have a hard time turning AV or some other inexpensive AS product into something as good as the Musgo, which I think is one of the products that sets the standard for all aftershave splashes.

I have not tried it, but have often considered it. I would say glycerin and aloe, for starters. Witch hazel is all very well, but not moisturizing.

-Mo

i add glycerin to several of my a/s.florida water,rise cool blue,clubman special reserve,4711.just squirt a few drops into the bottle and shake, splash on and add more till you reach the desired moisturizing level.i also add witch hazel to the clubman since it is so strong,tones it down but does not harm the longevity.

Lately, I've been using Nivea Moisturizer before using alcohol based aftershaves. It works great. I still get some burn from the alcohol, but my face feels great.

==Tom

Hmmm, I have got to try the glicerine routine, I did something odd the other night. I had washed the daily grime from my face and wanted the scent of clubman bay rum, but my face was in need of some creme....So, I put the amout of moisterizer I use in the palm of my hand and mixed in some AS. The concoction was odd, didn't want to mix, but worked....lol

Dont put aloe in aftershave. It's a long chain polysacharide, and as such is insoluble in alcohol. I have yet to understand how they mix it into Musgo- could be the PEG keeps it in suspension. Most likely of you add aloe gel it will float around in the bottle like a string of snot.

Glycerin works fine, being equally soluble in alcohol or water.

Dont put aloe in aftershave. It's a long chain polysacharide, and as such is insoluble in alcohol. I have yet to understand how they mix it into Musgo- could be the PEG keeps it in suspension. Most likely of you add aloe gel it will float around in the bottle like a string of snot.

Glycerin works fine, being equally soluble in alcohol or water.

Good point. Hmm.... We must figure out the secret to getting it to stay in suspension.

-Mo

Musgo has glycerine, witch hazel, echinacea and aloe.

I often find that a little bit of glycerine goes a long way - that's one of the reason the Booster products are nicer to the skin than Clubman or AV.

I use an eye dropper and add a little bit at a time until I get the right mix. A little witch hazel (unscented) would also be a good addition, but I've not found the need.

However, you'll have a hard time turning AV or some other inexpensive AS product into something as good as the Musgo, which I think is one of the products that sets the standard for all aftershave splashes.

+1 for using a bit of glycerin.

Top Bottom