What's new

Shavette as a daily shaver?

I just purchased a Dovo Shavette and have enjoyed shaving with it so far. I have only been using it on the weekends when I have more time to be mindful since the world of straights is new to me. I'm thinking of buying a straight, but I was curious if anyone here actually uses a shavette on a daily or consistent basis instead of travel alone. Have most of you who started with this guy moved to straights and never looked back?

Last edited:
I use the shavette or any of the Feather disposable blade straights as a daily shaver. You can't beat the sharpness of the blades, and there are none of the worries with having to hone or strop a regular straight. The shavette is an open blade straight, the same as any regular straight, and yes it is a real straight that can be used anytime.

i use a bluebleard revenge shavette every day for the last few months while i am waiting for my whipped dog kit and its fine i think i will more than likely keep using this on weekdays untill i get good at stropping and it only cost me about 3 pound on ebay

I use one at least three days a week (the Bluebeard's revenge one, with 1/2 an Astra SP in it). I'm going to buy a whipped dog kit at Christmas though...

Ive been considering getting a dovo shavette or a feather artist to use in this manner, only thing is i havent had an answer on if the shave given between the two is vastly different or not.

Yes, I do read posts periodically from people who use shavettes as their daily shaver and it's a great idea if you can get good shaves with them and enjoy using them. You don't have to strop or hone your blade, which are things that have a learning curve of their own.

Personally I have found them harder to use than traditional straights, and I've found the Dovo harder to use than the Parker. I never tried the Feather because it's expensive just to try something out, but it's the hands down favorite from what I've read.

Yes it can be done. The standard 1/2 DE blade isnt wide enough IMO - that is why I want the Feather SS. I love straights, don't want to deal with all of the stropping etc.

I have a parker shavette, its still new for me but I'm using it with a feather blade. First shaves with it were so rought I had to finish it with a DE razor, now my shaves are getting MUCH better with the shavette, its so great and simple to use. I had a BBS on my cheeks with two passes ATG and XTG, the neck was okay but I need to practise with it. Hence, if I master it I will buy a straight for sure!

The shavette just felt "wrong" to me. The Feather, though - longer blade, more natural shape & more substantial heft - feels more like a straight. It has become my "go to" travel razor.

I shave daily with a straight, and I consciously give up the extra 15-20 minutes of sleep every day to do so. For me, the straight razor is what makes shaving enjoyable.

I mostly use a shavette during the week and a straight on the weekends. it saves a few minutes stropping and oiling. a straight is more comfortable but takes a litlle longer to get close with and is less convenient.

I alternate with a DE Merkur safety razor and my Blue beard shavette. If time is an issue I use my Merkur but love to take my time with a shavette....just a really nice shave. I rarely use my traditional cut throat razor now as I prefer the smoother shaves I get with DE blades. My shavette is definitely sharper than my Victorian cut throat razor so I have to be a lot more careful when using it.

I do the same. I have used a Dovo but thought it was to light and switched over to a Parker. Saving up for a Feather AC although the price of the blades and limited selection are definitely a turn off. I achieve a better shave with the Parker shavette using Astra SP blades than with a traditional straight, however, I enjoy honing and stopping to much but it is only done on the weekends.

i just got my non folding Feather AC (RG) on saturday and did a quick shave on sunday. It was the first time I had ever used a straight style razor and I was work ready in only 15 minutes. I think using one daily is viable.

Two weeks ago I was on vacation and stopped into a Sally's Beauty Supply and picked up a Magic. My first shave was a little rough with several weepers . . . they certainly require even more attention to detail than a conventional straight. I think my straight experience helped, since my shaves with the Magic have improved since the first. I can't say I like the shavette enough to replace either my straight or safety razors, but it will find a spot in my rotation, and could certainly be used as one's daily shave.

Also not sure I'd recommend one to someone without a great deal of shaving experience and understanding of the process - the DE blade is WAY sharper than my sharpest straight and I saw the blood without feeling the cut . . .

I have a parker shavette, its still new for me but I'm using it with a feather blade. First shaves with it were so rought I had to finish it with a DE razor, now my shaves are getting MUCH better with the shavette, its so great and simple to use. I had a BBS on my cheeks with two passes ATG and XTG, the neck was okay but I need to practise with it. Hence, if I master it I will buy a straight for sure!

I also started off with a Parker Shavette. my first time was AWFUL! But I kept with it, and now it is my everyday shaver. At least until Santa brings me a straight razor :)

Top Bottom