What's new

Work khakis

I have been wearing jeans at work, but feel the need to upgrade to something a bit nicer. Khakis I suppose.
I'm a computer tech, and crawl around under desks every day.
Can you gents please recommend your favorite brands and styles, please?
My only absolute criteria is that they don't have to be ironed.
Long lasting would be great too.
Tapered leg would be icing on the cake.

Thank you very much.

Also, I will be wearing these khakis with some sort of running, or walking type shoe. I walk several miles across campus each day.
Does that kind of shoe work with khakis?

Last edited:
There are recent postings on Dockers that may help you out.

I have been wearing Bill's Khakis and just bought my first pair of Jack Donnelly khakis. The Jacks are nice and a couple bucks cheaper to boot, but may be more than you want to spend if you are crawling under desks each day

Legion

Staff member
I'm not sure if you can get them in the US, but if you can King Gee "tradie" pants are the best I've found. 9 pockets, re-enforced knees, very well made out of long lasting material.

proxy.php

I wear khakis everyday for work. I have dockers, Calvin Klein and Banana Republic. Banana Republic are my favorite because I found ONE line of theirs that fits really well, and I get a F&F discount, so they're only about $30 a pair. CK pants I find at Marshalls or TJ Maxx for about $25, which you can't really beat. Dockers are just consistent. They hold up great and are easy to find.

I also work IT, although I no longer have to crawl around under desks. When I did have to do that, my standard khaki slack came from Wal-Mart. They were inexpensive, wore well enough and if you tumble dry them until they are just slightly damp then hang them on slacks hangers, they require little if any ironing. I now wear those khakis as my bum around chore pants and they provide good enough service for the kind of work you need to be doing.

I get a good fit and long wear from Eddie Bauer. Their khaki chinos are wash & wear. They'll hem to your size. Even better on sale. I also like Bill's Khakis. You can often find them on ebay. Those with a "2" on them are the traditional (thinner) fit, but they are NOT wash and wear. I wear Sperry Billfishers with them. They're my go to foot wear. Comfortable, good arch support and require no polish. They can't be resoled, however.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Depends a bit on the kind of work you do. I work a lot with chemicals at my work place and when I go and see customers. Believe, me I know when I say that i do not spend much on khakis for my daily work - I buy cheap ones, BJ's brand, any chemical and they go in the garbage. If I know I have a day without lab work, then I wear my better ones (Barbour).

I like Dickies work pants, they do nicely especially with the crawling around under computer desks. Also Riggs Workwear. Riggs have the added benift of being ripstop. These have all worked nicely for me in my social work position where I like to dress somewhat nice but have to be prepared for just about anything. They work nicely with a polo/sport shirt and would probably work with a casual sport coat IMO.

Riggs (Wrangler sub-brand) are awesome. I have several pairs in khaki or OD and three pairs have lasted over a year. Considering this includes everything from working a warehouse, business meetings, random teleconferencing, hunting, working cattle in a pasture, crawling around in the dirt and mud, and rappelling, all wearing the same pairs...... they hold up well. They're cut similar to BDUs (same material) but a bit more generous. They stop wind well in winter and ripstops are nice and cool in summer (wore the BDU ripstops in up to 130F temperature in my previous life).

If you need some that look slightly 'nicer' but just as hard wearing, look up Vertx brand. They're made for police work so they have to look 'nice' but have a lot of good features, wear hard and are made to be comfortable in odd positions for many hours.

I currently have a mix of Vertx and Riggs with the odd random pair of 5.11's for my workplace (a command and control center, where it's khakis and polos every day) and the first two are my recommendation. Around $50/pair.

Top Bottom