What's new

What do you think of these shoes?

I am thinking about buying these Mcallisters in Toffee cordovan, but I have Jeffersons which I think are the same shoe only in calf leather with a fancier sole. What do you think of these? They would be my first pair of shell cordovan.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 96
They're OK, but...I must say, I never get around the fact that the wing of the toe cap goes over the broguing of the vamp piece on McAllister. It feels like the parts don't match and the area is very "crowded" somehow. If the vamp would reach further back and the broguing would, maybe, be more supple to avoid that, they'd probably be one of my favourite models (as American shoemakers make the wing better than anyone). That's just how I feel - YMMV, like in everything regarding personal preferences.

Should I buy a modern American shoe now, it'd be Alden's longwing in either whiskey or cigar shell cordovan. That's The American Shoe in my mind (as Florsheim and many other manufacturers have diminished in quality nowadays).

I have a soft spot for Allen Edmonds since they are made in my backyard, but I do like Alden shoes.

Hmm. I surfed around their site a bit and it seems that the thing that bugs me seems to be Their Thing (tm) and I guess I just don't understand it. I bet that, given enough time, It'd actually grow into me - it's their way of doing things. That said, if I assume that it happens, the rest of the shoe - and the material - is gorgeous.

Besides, having a classic shoemaker nearby is something I'm very envious about. Finland used to be a great shoe country - and then came the cemented (demented) construction. After ~70's everything was ruined. I have a pair of Finnish-made shoes from 1930's - the leather is better than anything I've ever seen, even in John Lobbs or Edward Greens. Thriftstore catch, 15€, in my size, perfectly taken cared for and in VGC. If I had something like Allen-Edmonds or Alden in my backyard, I'd do my personal best that they stay alive and kicking - just to avoid the same fate.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
They're OK, but...I must say, I never get around the fact that the wing of the toe cap goes over the broguing of the vamp piece on McAllister. It feels like the parts don't match and the area is very "crowded" somehow.

I noticed the same thing. Hmm ...

Top Bottom