5. Merkur 34c HD
6. Merkur 39c Slant
8. 2x Slim Adj.
9. Fatboy
10. Super Adj. LH
11. SuperSpeed flare tip
12. Super speed red tip
13. Gillette tech ball end

Well, let's just say I might have an acquisition disorder flare up.

I've got in my possession 1:

Merkur 34C HD

And 5 on the way:

'71 Gillette Black Beauty (R-3)
Gold Gillette New Bostonian with case
Gillette Slim Adjustable (J-2)
'54 Gillette Super Speed (Z-3)
'65 Lady Gillette Pink (K-1)

Just figured I'd get a sampling of the Gillettes. And the Pink Lady is to try and sway the wifey away from the cartridge disposables. I recently won her over from the canned goo with MWF, so here's hoping! I love the look of the old Kampfe Star's with all of that filigree and open "grille" work - Man they just pop to me! But I don't know enough about them to go after one yet.

Less every day, I think I topped out at 16-18. Now I'm down to 9 after a bunch of trades for software for the sabbatical! Next I'll have st start PIFing all the stuff I don't quite care for(AoS Lemon Cream, CO Bigalow)....

7 - Gillette New Improved Standard, Gillette OC Old Type, Gillette New SC, Gillette Fat Handle Tech, Gillette Aristocrat, Gillette Super Speed Red Tip and Merkur 34C.

The story so far is -

1. Merkur 34C
2. Merkur 25C
3. Gillette Flair-Tip Rocket
4. Gillette Superspeed blue tip
5. Gillette ball-end Tech
6. Gillette 1960’s aluminium Tech
7. Lord L6
8. ‘Shave Man’ Merkur copy
9. Weishi 9306E
10. Shave Factory TTO
11. Parker 96R
12. Nanjing TTO
13. Every Ready all chrome SE
14. Ever Ready plastic handle SE

Three...

1. Muhle R89
2. 1953 Gillette Superspeed
3. Ever Ready SE with a plastic handle.

I have owner a Edwin Jagger DE86 and a Wilkinson Sword Classic, but I Pif'd both of those. The only one that gets any use is the Gillette, it is a fabulous razor.

6 in total.
Merkur 34c
A gold fatboy executive
A slim adjustable
A black handle super speed
A gold ball end tech
And a gillette fusion cartridge. It still has its uses. That single blade on the back and small profile is great for getting stray ear hairs.

$50+ years of history.jpg
Every one of the razors shown has been my primary shaver for a period of time in the past. The second one (counting from the left) is a 1970 Wilkinson Bonded Blade razor, which proves that the statement in the History->History of Shaving section of the Shavewiki that says, "In 1971, Gillette introduced the first cartridge razor, the Trac II," is in need of some qualification. The fourth razor (still counting from the left) has a coil of spring steel, a section of which at a time gets moved into the flat working area of the rezor head to serve as the blade, much in the manner that photographic film s advanced a fram at a time between two spools in a film camera. The blade is advanced using the lever (visible) in the head.

Although there are several single-blade razors, none of them is a DE safety razor. I am a Philistine.

I'm thinking I have enough, but none are newer that 1954 and all DE's are Gillette's, so maybe I need to broaden my horizons?

1. Early 40's Gillette Contract Ball-Handle Tech, plating is gone but smooth shaver
2. Canadian Gillette fat handle Tech
3. 40's Gillette Super Speed (my first razor, from my dad many moons ago)
4. Late 40's Gillette Ball Handle Tech
5. Gillette Flare-Handle Super Speed (1954, Z-3)
6. Great Great Grandfathers Cut throat, English made

I've tried the cut throat on my cheeks, but am not ready for anything further with it, plus I need to have it honed before I really use it.

EJ 89L was what I started with three weeks ago. Because of this fine group of enablers, I now have
Sabi T-5 (nice cheap long handle)
Slim birth year
'32 Canadian
Super Speed birth quarter due in.
I "should" be done.

SE
Valet Vc4

DE
46-47 Aristocrat Cased with blade holder
a 66 and 67 Slim Adjustable
Year unknown Red Tip should be here Monday

In 2 weeks I've accumulated the following...

Muhle R89
Hart Steel 5/8 round point
Ralf Aust 5/8 round point
Thiers-Issard 4/8 square point
Iwasaki Kamisori 50mm (~6/8-7/8) Japanese

Disposed of all my cartridge related paraphernalia...and very happy.

Top Bottom