What's new

Merkur 180 long handle vs Schick injector

How aggressive can be the Merkur 180 against the Schick injector? i have a Schick injector adjustable and is pretty smooth but i would like to try a Merkur, the thing is the 180 isn't adjustable so maybe it can be too aggressive for me, and the Merkur progress is to pricey for me right now.

Last edited:
Lol. I wouldn't call either aggressive. The Merkur 180 is the exact same head as that of the EJ89 and would be considered a smooth shaver making any blade appear to be magic. A well designed head. The Schick is good but requires so little thought shaving with it. So in this match up I'd consider them both about equals plus or minus a few degrees.

The Merkur 180 is the exact same head as that of the EJ89

Actually, no. EJ89 has the same head as Mühle R89, which a very smooth, unaggressive shaver (which can be wholeheartedly recommended to anyone from complete beginner to expert). Merkur 180 is a completely different razor.

I got a guy hooked on DE shaving using a yuma, but he prefers my old Merkur 180. It just took proper technique and he's getting excellent shaves. I thought it was a bit mild for me, and I use an R41. He hasn't cut himself yet with the 180, not including the pimple or two that are raised. He'll be completely happy with it, as I'm sure you will too.

My issue with the 180 is that using shark blades, I had a hard time telling with my developing beard how dull the blade was. I don't blame the razor, but I know I don't have that problem with the R41.

Comparing a Merkur long-handled 180 DE razor with a non-specified Schick Injector SE razor is even more difficult than comparing an apple with an orange. The question is impossible for me to address.

Last edited:
Comparing a Merkur long-handled 180 DE razor with a non-specified Schick Injector SE razor is even more difficult than comparing an apple with an orange. The question is impossible for me to address.

Sorry if i'm not more specific, i'm really new to wet shaving as you may see.

"Actually no? " This is based on.....what? I've got news for you otherwise ;)

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...J-DE89-and-I-noticed-it-was-like-my-Merkur180

The same head. Stylistic difference but the same.

Interesting - I don't see them as very similar ones. Head of the 180 is a bit taller, curvature is possible a bit different (would look like it, at least), bottom of the head is different, scalloping of the head is different, finishing quality of EJ is light years ahead. If we think that all pieces of metal that clamp a razor blade between them, making it curve a bit, are same, then those are same. Otherwisely, no. I wouldn't be surprised if the material would be different as well. From the colour I'd also think that 180 may be nickled instead of chromed (or at least the chrome is of a different colour), while R89 is chromed. They look a bit similar at a quick glance, but are very different, after all.

Blade exposure seems to differ a bit, as well - more out in R89.

Then, again, EJ89 and Mühle R89 are the same product, made in the same factory, of same material by same people.

Last edited:
EJ 89 - or Mühle R89 - is a great choice. It's a piece of art that works. Mild, reliable shave and a pleasure to use. While the price differences between razors are so small, I don't see any reason (aside curiosity of a collector) to buy anything but top shelf stuff.

Never tried an injector of any kind. The 23c (180) was my first DE. It is generally considered mild but that didn't stop me from shredding myself up for a week in my transition from cartridge systems.

After I got control of it I decided to move up in aggressiveness and misguidedly purchased a Red Tip Super Speed. Guess what. It's MILDER than the 23c and I ended up gifting it to my father.

I've never owned the EJ89 but I own (2) Muhle R41's and Muhle reportedly makes the heads for the EJ's. The fit, finish, craftmanship on the Muhle's are clearly superior to the(3) Merkurs that I have owned so if I was considering a Merkur vs. a EJ, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the EJ UNLESS I was looking for a Slant style and I don't think EJ makes one.

I looked some vids on the muhle R41 and i get interested on the open comb, certainly not for now but think that would be my next move. Right now i'll go with the EJ 89L it's on the way as soon as i get my first shave i'll post my review.

Top Bottom