What's new

Macro Len

I'm getting a macro lens for my oly for Christmas (35mm f3.5 ) but I've not used one before so some pointers would be appreciated. I know lighting is important with macro shots, do I need to splash out on special flash / lighting?

Si

Look at the thread here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=30580

I posted a few links to websites that have all sorts of advice regarding macro photography.

You don't really need flash, but if you get one, generally people like ring flashes, or they will mount the flash on a bracket to get it out of the way of the lens.

I find that a tripod is generally necessary. You may wish to try the new Manfrotto 190. It has a detachable column that can be re-attached horizontally. That is just superb for macro.

One other point I would make though: a 35mm lens is a very very short lens to try macro with. The working distance will be so small that to me it would be pretty much impossible to use. Others will of course feel differently. To my way of thinking something in the 100 mm range is very much easier to use.

Best of luck, and do post some of your pictures here when you take some.

the macro designation for lenses means they have a much shorter minimum focal distance, but for a more precise set of numbers, look for the tech specs of the lens. focal length, while related to that minimum distance in general, will be more noticeable in foreshortening and of course magnification. from a non-technical perspective, try looking up sample shots taken with the lens to see if they correspond with the type of work you hope to get out of it.

from a working perspective, you have to realize depth of field is a function of focal length and distance, therefore with macro photography where your distance is minimal, you are going to want to shoot very high aperture, like f/16+, in order to have more than a thin slice of your photo in focus. since this type of work is usually indoors, exposure assistants like a tripod and lots of light will help you get those high aperture shots and resultant depth of field.

if you're on a budget, i'd look up "diy light tent" and do up something similar in order to get mass quantities of indirect light on your highly reflective subjects. without a light tent you'll see the "catchlights" and distinct reflections of your subjects' surroundings.

Top Bottom