What's new

first shave. not so great

Hello good people.
I am trying to join the ranks but in need for advice.
I tried today to shave with a sr for the first time. The razor is a TI that just came from honing (Edson).
I didn't strop it.
I am trying to figure out my mistake.
The symptom: lots of tugging and pulling. I couldn't get anything done. I didn't see a point in powering through since something was obviously wrong..... but I have no idea what...
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Chalk it up to inexperience. Try and flatten the angle of the blade. As you go lift the spine ever so slightly till you here a "buttering toast" sound. Also, a wetter lather will help out.

It does take some time. The most important thing is to start with a shave ready razor, I think you have that.

Second stretch is important, next it does take a deliberate stroke to cut hair. This is a very hard thing to do at first as you are nervous about slicing something off you need. But you can take sharpest razor with the perfect angle, perfect lather and if you go at a snails pace you will get some tugging.

Stick to the sideburns and cheeks for a while.

Keep it up, we all have been there. We all suffered from dull razor syndrome-thought the razor was dull when it was our technique.

You were right on the money here. Also spot on imagery!

I did just the cheeks and they look presentable. No irritation but the skin feels a tiny bit raw.

Who needs coffee? It has been a long time since I got out of the shaveroom so alert and awake.

Chalk it up to inexperience. Try and flatten the angle of the blade. As you go lift the spine ever so slightly till you here a "buttering toast" sound. Also, a wetter lather will help out.

Stropping is paramount. The best honing work in the world won't mean anything after about 24 hours.

You must also make a decisive and deliberate stroke at your beard. Not a timid stroke, or a scared pass...you must glide the blade over your beard like you mean to cut the whiskers off.

Pulling and tugging can only mean three things...a ragged blade edge, too slow of a stroke, or an inadequate beard prep.

Stropping is paramount. The best honing work in the world won't mean anything after about 24 hours.

Ok, this is new (to me). Even though a razor was honed and stropped, if 24 hours had past I need to strop it again prior to the shave?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
It is often said that the benefit of stropping before a newbie's first shave is small, compared to the amount of damage he can do to a shave-ready edge, and so a first shave should be done without stropping. I am inclined to agree with this. And I don't think not stropping was the problem. I suspect the usual suspects... too high of a shave angle, not enough stretching, lather not slick enough. After that first shave, of course there is no question about it. One should strop before shaving.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The edge is somewhat elastic, and will spring back to its former condition. That's the theory anyway. But also, one factor in dulling an edge is oxidation. Obviously you have hardly any if the edge is just stropped, but possibly a significant amount if not recently stropped. The 24 hours is not like a written in stone thing, but the more recently stropped, the better.

I usually strop the night before, no difference that I can tell.

Larry specifically states not to strop before the first shave.

I have seen a difference in a razor stored for a couple of weeks. The razor would be a HHT 2-3 out of storage and easily a 4-5 after a good stropping.

Do not be disapointed. I have been there and I have been there for a long time. I am still there . I have started straight razor shaving about six months ago. At first I was using it once a week. Then i "forgot" it for about two months and i started again. Anyway last one and a half month i shave with straight every day. Only two days ago i managed to have a complete full face shave without the help of a DE. I am very proud of that of cource but my point is not to quit and the result will amaze you thats for sure. Stropping is very important indeed. many times up and down. I have a paddle strop and i pass about 60 to 90 times. I was doing 30 -40 and now i can see the difference. Another thing that helped me a lot is a pre shave oil (somerset) that i use. Finally my feeling is that a vintage restored razor offers a way better shave than a new straight. Maybe its just my impression but i have one new and three vintage and the difference to me is great.

Thank you all for the encourgement.
ch2700: could you elaborate on the strop and razors you use?
My last shave was pretty awefull and I was sore for a good part of the day.
The heavy metal scales of the TI did not make it better and I felt my hand was straining to hold it, I ordered a half follow 5/8 Dovo. I decided that in order to make any progress i need to make sure my equipment should be beginner's optimal.

Thank you all for the encourgement.
ch2700: could you elaborate on the strop and razors you use?
My last shave was pretty awefull and I was sore for a good part of the day.
The heavy metal scales of the TI did not make it better and I felt my hand was straining to hold it, I ordered a half follow 5/8 Dovo. I decided that in order to make any progress i need to make sure my equipment should be beginner's optimal.

I have a dovo best quality 5/8 a w&b 6/8 vintage a c.mayers and son 13/16 vintage. My strop paddle is from the invisible edge i think is the cheapest he has arround 65 pounds. My oppinion is that heavier razors are easier. I defenately think that a good start is a 6/8 if possible vintage. I have started with the dovo 5/8 but i only manage to shave everyday with my other two. I do not use dovo anymore. Again my oppinion is that vintage metals are much better and also when you get a restored one you are sure that is really shave ready if your purchase is from the right person. I beleive that if you can change your order to 6/8 dovo will be a better start. Some say its better to start with a 5/8 my start says 6/8. If you need anything else i am here. Not that iam experienced just my first steps are very close a i remember them. Another good thing is to watch the videos that there are arround in order to learn the technique which is the most important.

Top Bottom