What's new

Kidney Stones

I have now joined the ranks of all of those who have suffered from this affliction. When I worked in the ER, everyone who had these had my sympathy, now they have my deepest sense of empathy. Found out I have four of them last week 1mm to 4mm in size. I've had pain on two occasions bad, otherwise kind of an ache like I got punched there. Also found out I have a "mass" or "complex cyst" on one kidney. Trying to figure out what it might be, and probably "we'll just watch it". They also want to do a cystoscopy on me next week, and I'm not very excited about that.

OOoooo, ohhhh... >wince<

Dad and both of my brothers have dealt with stones. I haven't had it yet and I hope I never do.

You have my sympathy. I've dealt with them for the past 20 or so years. Went through lithotripsy treatment once, and the last passing episode resulted in a trip to the emergency room for a quarter inch composite stone, which I named "Attilla" for the pain it caused.

Don

You have my sympathy mate. Never had it myself, but a colleague had one go through and he didn't enjoy it. Drinks bucket loads of water everyday now.

Hope it all works through in the end. Um... maybe not the best expression to choose. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Jeremy

I've lost count of the number that I've had. A whole bunch between 1969 and 1975. Then I was clear until 1994. Managed to pass all of them. On a scale of 0 to 10 they rate 12 while heart attacks are only a 5. Take care of yourself.

You have my profound sympathies.

My wife recently went through the very same thing...4mm stones, more than one, agonizing pain, four trips to the ER in three days. X-rays, CT scan, opiates, etc. Strangely, the doctor prescribed flomax which is a prostate drug that didn't do anything other than to hoover $80 out of her wallet.

The bigger challenge is trying to figure out what is causing her to produce stones. We have Kaiser health insurance and so far no doctor has tried to investigate the fundamental cause, but they seem very quick to insist that she endure a teeth gnashing 45 minute to the Kaiser ER as opposed to a one minute drive to the our local hospital.:mad3:

I feel for you I really do.....ouch, dad gum, I will probably be joining you some day as I can't seem to give up the coke's.

I feel for you as well. The first time I had a kidney stone was right while the big Anthrax scare was going on here on the East Coast of the US. One of my duties at work is to sort and deliver the mail each day.

I had no idea what was going on. I had no idea I had a kidney stone. Considering the atmosphere and the threat of mail borne pathogens at the time, I thought I was going to die. I was taken from work in an ambulance.

On the more humorous side, when my wife finally caught up with me at the hospital she couldn't help but laugh out loud at the big pink "SEDATED" sticker on my chest. I had no idea it was there. :thumbup:

Since then I suspect I have had at least one other, but it must have been very small because the discomfort was significantly less.

Kidney stones are NO fun. :thumbdown

I've been told that is the closest a man can be to understanding the pain of child birth. You have my sympathies. I hope this gets cleared up quickly.

I've had three rounds of kidney stones, the first was the worst. I had to have the lithotripsy procedure to break it up.. the other two were smaller and didn't require hospitalization.. though it was painful all three times, I have to say that overall I was pretty lucky in avoiding the most horrible pain that some folks experience.

-Mason

My mule-packing buddy:

I've had several, and you have my EXTREME sympathy...from that white-faced dry feeling, to the slow inexorable creep down the Urethra, where things like that just aren't suppose to go! (Good news is that the "end trip" is surprisingly easier!) I had my first without insurance, but let them check me into the hospital anyway. I kinda remember that morphine machine and waiting for the time to push the button again!

Anyway, there I was, all hooked up, and around 6 am I passed this thing, into the little screen over the little bowl. It felt like a boulder, but it was like a grain of rice! I asked someone when the "new day" would start in the Hospital, and they said "8 AM". I encouraged them to get me checked out before the hotel bill started in again, but no one came along. I guess an anesthesiologist had hooked up one line, someone else another, and they couldn't get there to unhook me. So I pulled these things out, found my clothes in the closet, got dressed, dropped the stone off with the nurse's station, told them I was checked out, and walked home about a dozen blocks.

Now, those were some MAD people! But I saved myself about 750 dollars, I guess.

Several others-- fortunately the Dr. gave me a scrip for Vicodin and I toughed it out, and other while I was out in the boonies, which was aided by my good friend, a Mr. James Beam, and plenty of water.

Anyway--it's surprising how this little piece of calcium or whatever the hell it is, can bring a big tough guy like you or I to a quivering mass of nothing. Hang in there! Uh...this, too, shall pass.

Until you know you're clear, you should DEMAND a prescription for a good narcotic pain killer. Don't take no for an answer. With the pain killer you could avoid the ER visits.

I've been told that is the closest a man can be to understanding the pain of child birth. You have my sympathies. I hope this gets cleared up quickly.

It's worse than child birth. While my own experience lacks comparison, I've been told this by every female I know who has gone through both.

i've had dozens of stones.ranging from "pepper flakes" to a 6.5 mm monster(the largest the doc had seen passed).i've had lithotripsy and cystoscopes and tubes "inserted".after the tube removal experience ,well i can say i have met satan and he is a urologist.drink lots of water ,berry juices and BEER helps esp. when sitting in a hot tub of water.which helps mitigate the pain along with percocet/darvocet.right now my left kidney has 2 stones in it.but since they are not moving i'm waiting before i have it lithotripsied,quite expensive.the pain ranges from a nagging discomfort to maddening levels.there are some herbal remedies that are suppose to soften and ease the passing of the stones .mallow plant tea is one,i just have not got around to trying them.

It's worse than child birth. While my own experience lacks comparison, I've been told this by every female I know who has gone through both.

Yep. My Mom, who has experienced both multiple times, has said that kidney stones are MUCH worse... because "at least after having a baby you get a child and get to hold it and love it, etc."

I said, "Well, you could always save your kidney stones and name those, too!" :wink:

BAH! 1-4mm. Mine ar usually 6+. My last one a couple of months ago was 7.2

Ironically, this one was the only one that passed on its own. It was also the only the one that was smooth and not jagged.

Beer is your friend. Skip the vicodin. Get blind dunk on beer. It will kill the pain and make you pee. win-win.

Top Bottom