What's new

1904 Patent Day - 15 November

Thursday 15 November marks an important event for DE shavers: the anniversary of the original 1904 Gillette patent US775134. Gillette already held a 1903 UK patent, but the USA patent was key to the early success of the company. Given the role of the Old Type design in WWI, it seems fitting to mark this day shortly after Remembrance Day / Veterans' Day.

proxy.php

This will be a good day to shave with an Old Type razor. Use whatever you have, whether it is a 1903-04 Double Ring, a Brownie, or even one of the early imitations. Post pictures. My own SOTD will include a 1920 Single Ring. It is not very pretty, but here is a nice double ring from Achim's site to get things started:

Not much interest? Here is my SOTD anyhow:

Rooney 3/1 finest
D.R. Harris Arlington stick
Gillette Single Ring 1920
Gillette Super Stainless M-3 (1)
Pinaud Clubman

A good design need not change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy birthday to the patent on my newest old razor.
Came up quite nice after a foil bath and a light touch of Maas.
$20121115_201349.jpg

Tomorrow is 15 November again: 109th anniversary of the 1904 Gillette patent.

Warm up those early Gillettes.

I'll be shaving tomorrow with my Gillette Old, ball-end. Kind of appropriate, since I've got an Ikon Bulldog handle on the way, and it may be the last time I'll shave with the entire original razor.

I have a 1907 Single Ring on its way to me but I won't have it by tomorrow so the next oldest one in hand is a 1918 Single ring. Guess I can do a celebratory shave with that one tomorrow.

Hi,

I have my Grandfather's 102a, which is usually reserved for days when I have skipped shaving for at least one day. It is a pretty irritating razor with only a single day worth of growth. But, if I proceed cautiously enough, I can manage without cuts and only a few weepers.

I will also have to follow it up with a second pass from my Early Tech. Unlike my usual daily Fasan Double Slant, which I can get to BBS on one pass with a little touching up here and there. This is a good thing, though, as my Early Tech, which Dad handed me when I started shaving in 76, gets little use since I acquired that Fasan.

So, my Patent Anniversary shave will commence shortly this morning! :001_cool:

Stan

Edit: That went better then expected. I was paying extra close attention. Only three weepers! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Hope it fits the occasion. I used my Merkur 1904 OC for today with a Gillette 7 o'clock (black) blade.

Last edited:
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384534258.976919.jpg

Razor:1907 Gillette Single Ring
Blade:Gillette Platinum Plus
Trumper's GFT cream
Nivea post shave balm
Pinaud Citrus Musk aftershave splash
Avon Mesmerize cologne

I celebrated the 109th birthday of the 1904 patent by shaving with my oldest razor, a 1906 Single Ring, and by taking a photo of it:

$13041326.jpg

Posting this late, but, got the shave in before midnight....:biggrin1:

I think my Single Ring is dated 1911....or 12.....

$100_6640.jpg

Top Bottom