What's new

Merkur 15c open comb review/comments

Well, it has been over a week now that I' ve been using my Merkur 15c Open Comb razor. It gives excellent BBS shaves (with a little work) and I get absolutely NO irritation with it. Even around my adamsapple which is normally a problem area. The funny thing with it is, I almost feel like its too mild and can't feel the blade when shaving. I can't tell its even cutting but after my normal 3-pass and some slight buffing along my jaw line I end up with a BBS most of the time. While shaving with it I keep thinking "this razor is too mild" but when I'm done I'm thinking "dang - thats a really excellent shave." I'm enjoying the "no irritation"/no weepers part. The only razor I have that cuts as well is my Gillette Aristocrat and my HD 34c but I get some irriations with them around my neck sometimes.
I also have a new (to me) 1920's Old Type Ball End that I like very much. It shaves like my Merkur HD 34c but a little closer on each pass. Just might become a full time Open Comb guy. I like the way they shave and how they fit my face. :thumbup:

I agree the Merkur OC-design is very mild. They are capable of close comfortable shaves as long as you hit the right angles when shaving. The 25C (a 15C with a longer handle) was my second razor after a decade or more with my Czech Astra TTO and I like it a lot though I must confess that I seldom use it anymore.

Which, of course, is a great excuse to pick it up for my next couple of shaves!!

I too have been using a newly acquired Merkur 15c for about the last two weeks. I completely agree, I have been getting irritation free shaves. I am getting much nicer shaves than from my Gillette slim. My jawline and neck are problem areas but with the Merkur there is no problem. I think that will be me started on an open comb journey.

I also use a Merkur Open Comb head on a Bulldog iKon handle and share same experience as you. Very efficient razor while it feels mild on the skin. Mine works excellent with Feather and Gillette SharpEdge, great with Astra and Shark SC, not so great with Bolzano.
I get DFS with two passes (BBS on cheeks) and never had irritation. I like it so much that I bought a back-up when on sale.

Same here the Merk OC head from the 1904 when coupled with a heavier handle gives real close comfy shaves with no problems. If you see an 11C come up jump on it. A great two piece OC merk.

I have used the Merkur 11C and 12C and probably get my smoothest irritation-free shaves from them. I sometimes think that I could not cut myself with them unless I really tried. The "too mild" issue pops into my head sometimes as well. But I cannot rationally explain to myself why I would like a more aggressive razor when I always do a 2-pass shave + touchups, no matter what razor I use. I cannot help thinking that there is an irrational "macho factor" involved, because feeling the blade more cannot give a better result IMHO. I am not speaking for everyone of course, some BBers need a more aggressive razor. I certainly do not.

Last edited:
Teddyboy, I hear you!
I too can get away with a mild razor, so why go aggressive when you don't need to?
I like the fact I don't have to worry about nicking myself too.
One day I shall have to try a fat handled Tech.

Glad to read all you gent's reviewsbecause I asked for a 15C for Christmas. Thank you one and all. This will be about my 5th or 6th Merkur.

.....While shaving with it I keep thinking "this razor is too mild" but when I'm done I'm thinking "dang - thats a really excellent shave." I'm enjoying the "no irritation"/no weepers part. :thumbup:

That's the goal, after all, eh? Great to hear that you have found an excellent shaving razor! And now, I'm off to investigate this razor......

Top Bottom