What's new

My neck is IMPOSSIBLE -->In response to Phil's post (Neck problems)

Phil, I got the SAME problem. I have tried and tried, some days I get away with no irritation, but MOST of the time, which is almost daily, I get neck irritation.

The problem is the hair grows down and right on my neck, almost sideways, and if I shave with or across the grain, I dont feel like I even got a shave. When I run my fingers over, its still sandpaper stubble.

I have tried everything, watched Mark's videos, sucked in my neck, stretched it out, did the swallow and shave (so adam's apple won't get in the way) but nothing seems to work. Even on days I let the neck hair grow, let's say 1 or 2 days, and then I shave against the grain, the same thing, Irritation.

If I run the razor Sideways across my neck, and can actually feel the hair being cut, I get this Tremendous burn and neck irritation. I cant wear a collared shirt and tie, I can't wear turtleneck sweaters either. Its horrible...has anyone found a solution for this mess?
What should I do? We need major help! This thing is killing me. I got some stubble now, and when I touch it, pull my skin, it pricks like someone is stabbing me with needles.

This is in response to Phil's post.

I have the same problem. I generally shave WTG first which like you is sideways but at an angle not completly sideways if that makes any sense. I then re-lather and shave ever-so-gently down which would be XTG. I never go for BBS on my neck either when par feels great and has no irritation. i may have to shave again that evening if I am going out but it sure beats ingrown hairs and razor burn. It is important for me at least to make sure my prep is nothing less than perfect or I get the same issues that you are describing here.

Good luck!

I'm pretty new to this but I shave first N - S (downwards), then lather up and S - N (upwards). Then I lather up again and shave any areas that are still rough. Like you I allways have two areas on my neck that need attention. I shave these against the grain (towards the centre of my throat) on this third pass.

Do you lather up after each pass? Use as light a touch as possible, even if it feels as if the razor is hardly touching your skin. It takes a while, but you will get the hang of it.

Try throwing in an extra XTG pass after you've finished everything else. The hair on my neck actually grows W-E and I feel like I'm tearing skin off if I go ATG. The first XTG goes N-S and the second goes S-N which seems to get things pretty decent. In your case you'd have to rotate it a bit, though.

I wish I had an answer, I don't. But someone at B&B will help you solve this. What do you put on the burn for relief? A lot of guys here say there's nothing like Corn Huskers Lotion, others Praise Aqua Velva and Nivea.
Be encouraged.

After having had a beard for more than 10 years I shaved it off last summer. I had to learn how to shave again. The major reason I had a beard in the first place was because I had such a bad time shaving. When I was younger my father used to razz me because my neck was always inflamed. He said I was shaving ATG. In fact I was shaving WTG and I had a dermatologist confirm that for me.

Some days I do fairly well but most of the time I don't. I have tried just about everything I can think of.

The one thing I know for sure is that I can't go ATG. To a certain extent I can go XTG but not too much. Yes my prep. must be perfect.

My beard is hard and it grows fast.I have taken to carrying with me a Braun PocketGo electric that I use during the day. I hold it very lightly to my face. This just knocks it down a bit. It in no way replaces a DE or a Str8 shave but I it looks better.

Yes I can finish a shave with a DE or a Feather str8 and my face is in pretty good shape but by the end of the day it is inflamed from rubbing against the collar of my shirt.

I have been trying everything and anything to solve this problem. Guys on this blog talk about "acquisition disorder." I have AD but I think I see things a little differently. The reason why I have bought so much stuff is because I am looking for a solution. If and when I find a solution I probably won't buy as much. I hope.:confused1

the neck is definately the most frustrating part if your not careful. sometimes even when you are careful you can run into problems. the few words of advice that i have are to defiantely shave WTG for the first pass and then the next pass i go directly against. i never shave side to side on the neck because i can't get a good angle on it and it doesn't seem to do much or causes irritation, so i just avoid doing that.

i just take it nice and light on the neck and avoid going over the same area repeatedly because that's almost guaranteed to cause razor burn.

I'm in the same boat. The whiskers on the left side of my neck grow more or less N to S. However, on the right side of my neck, the whiskers start out N to S near my Adam's apple, but transition to W to E towards the side of my neck.

I get great shaves everywhere on my face except for the right side of my neck. I've actually spent the last two days trying to prevent any razor bumps and ingrowns because I think I used a little too much pressure during my last shave. However, despite the pressure, I have never been able to get a smooth shave on the right side of my neck. After two passes the whiskers will still be there. The only way to hit the whiskers is if I contort my neck or use too much pressure. In that situation, I'll usually end up with razor bumps or ingrowns.

I use a Merkur HD and am considering a different razor, perhaps an Injector or a Slant. I too am totally interested in any other remedies ya'll might be aware of...

I've yet to try a slant. That was my original plan when I was fighting bad irritation and ingrown hairs on my neck. Instead I went with a Progress. I use a somewhat aggressive setting (4.5) and I've all but eliminated my problems. Now I rotate between a Fatboy, a Red Tip, and my Progress. For some reason, as soon as I switched away from the HD my problems went away.

I wish I could explain with confidence why a more aggressive razor leads to less irritation, but it is purely conjecture on my part. I believe the safety bar was aggravating the hairs on my neck. Moving to a more aggressive razor took the safety bar out of the equation. The only other explanations I can think of would be... better shave prep, better form, or possibly just the razor itself. The progress is quite a bit heavier than the HD. Also, the angle of use seems more natural to me.

Regardless, I suggest anyone with coarse hair and neck irritation try, at the very least, a Red Tip. :thumbup1:

Ditto.

1. Shave prep is really important, I use the homemade castor/olive oil recipe from the preshave wiki.
2. I always throw some soapy water on my neck before I lather up for my against the grain pass.
3. I squeeze that last bit of lather out of the center of the brush and use that for my against the grain pass.
4. I use a way lighter touch on my neck than is seems like I should.

Still about once a week I'll get a little redness, but it usually goes away in about an hour.

bahbah2e, I still have a post of yours from another thread bookmarked because of your comments which you more or less reiterated here.

Perhaps it is time for me to try a Progress. Basically, you're saying that the more aggressive razor just allows the blade to get the whiskers?

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. After using the my Progress/Red Tip/Fatboy for a while, I thought, perhaps my form has improved, why not try the HD again??? I did, and I remembered why I switched in the first place. YMMV, but I can't help but offer the suggestion.

Ok, after much experimenting. Here it is.

With different razors and blades being recommended, I am too confused so what I've done is I've just stuck with 1 razor to get used to it, while my Weishi Chrome is in the mail. I've got this old Gillette, I don't even know what it's called. TTO, not too aggressive but not too gentle either.
So I did WTG, ATG, and XTG passes, and then I did a ***. (*joke*)

I find that tiny stubble can still be removed by doing upto 3 ATG passes, but it's a choice between BBS or Comfort.

I'm going with Comfort.

I think the DE cuts in a way that it cuts just ON the skin surface. The hair being harder than the skin probably causes one to feel the stubble when running their fingers against the grain. That is my theory but I could be wrong.

I think I will just stick to Comfortable shaves without worrying about BBS. I don't think its totally possible with DE. That maybe why these new modern razors exist. They may lack class, but they do cut closer than DE.

I think that too close of a cut can be a problem for a lot of skin types...

Plus if I used a Schick Quattro Titanium or Fusion, the shave would be so close that I wouldn't need to shave the next day. So where's the fun in that? I look forward to shaving.

Since there's no solution to my BBS on the neck issue, I'll just stick with having comfort for the price of a little stubble. Is there anyone who can honestly tell me when they run their fingers against the grain, that they don't feel ANY stubble? What's the comfort level like?

Top Bottom