What's new

Announcing the Brotherhood Of Tallow Shave Soaps - BOTSS

The thing is, at $30 a puck, the AOS stuff is a luxury product. That doesn't always mean better - automatic watches are a case in point. But it still stands that some effort should be put into preserving the product.

For me i have found that tallow-based soaps perform better than veggie soaps. i'm sure that this does not have to be the case, as I understand that palm oil and most of the fats in tallow have extremely similar structures.

But maybe the point is that it's an association - makers dedicated to using the best ingredients they can are more likely to do things to their utmost to make sure that the soap performs well?

In this case, it is very clear that they have changed production purely to save costs - not because tallow is expensive, but because palm oil is what P&G's soapmakers use.
They have not said "we can make things better by using palm oil", they have done it to increase margins.

I guess I'm the odd one out.
I've tried lots of tallow based soaps, and in terms of nicks and micro-nicks (i.e. the type that are only noticed with alum), while some are pretty good (e.g. Arko stick, GZD) others don't impress me all that much (Tabac, Sir Irisch Moos, Wilkinson Sword stick, Speik stick) relative to vegetable soaps.
I actually prefer the much unloved non-tallow Wilkinson Sword tub soap to the Wilkinson Sword tallow stick.
Regards,
Renato

This tread caused me to end up with four tallow based soaps for Christmas! Mystic Irish Traveler, Razorock, Mike's Orange, Queen Charlotte. I like them all. I ended up with a boar brush, that seems to coax up great lather and I like the scratchy feel.

Well I read some good reviews from B&B members so I'm gonna get some(Stirling tallow Soap). In the meantime, the more I use -Haslingers Schafmilch Raiserseife mit schafmilch &lanolin (available from West Coast Shaving)the more I'm diggin' this great little fat puck from Austria. I use a finest 24 mm badger and 15 sec. give me a lather that will last ,oh 22 passes. Seriously though, I strive for a 4 passes so slick is my concern . This is easy to lather and likes a little water added to the brush, but the shave lads, the shave! Use that feather blade with surety!

I am certainly in. All my current soaps are tallow-based. I love:
Razorock Artisan line
Cella
TFS Bergamot Nerolli
Haslinger Schafmilch

This is a Brotherhood that is sorely needed! With so many companies trying to degrade their products by
removing tallow - we have to have a support group to keep together on this excellent (and vital) ingredient!

Count me in as well!

I'm joining up today.

I have only been shaving for a couple of months and have been sampling various soaps and creams and have noticed that my face likes the tallow based soaps the best. (Arko & QCS so far)

Look forward to trying the other tallow based soaps that have been mentioned.

Does anyone have a lsit of all the Tallow shaving soaps that are out there? if so, could you please post it.

Thanks

Last edited:
Not sure if I can say that I think Tallow soaps are inherently superior, or even generally better, but being a student, I don't have the luxury of being able to buy loads of soaps, so I read around and bought ones that seemed to be the most highly regarded, and I'm not sure if it's coincidence that they all contain tallow. Soaps I've tried so far have been Cella, MWF, Arlington, Palmolive stick, R-160 and Tabac. The first 4 will definitely keep a place in my rotation. R-160 needs more use to be given a proper verdict. Tabac is the only one I won't use, as it dries me out.

I'm in!! I have been lathering a puck of lime ginger and a puck of vanilla sandalwood that are 27% tallow which I took a chance on and got off etsy.com. Silky smooth lather and awesome shaves!!!

My Strop Shoppe is getting lower in the container, so I thought I'd pick up some Williams at the local CVS, and the manager told me they are not going to carry it anymore. Guess I need to find something else to use...

Or place an order! :)

Top Bottom