What's new

The Transition from White (socks)

Gentlemen, I have recently decided my ultra casual wardrobe needs an adjustment. The first step is removing the white athletic socks from my daily wear, unless wearing athletic shoes. All my like a have worn white athletic socks with all but the utmost formal attire. This will be a great (and welcomed) change for me. However, I do have a few questions in which I need the advice of those more experienced on the subject.

What color socks do wear with jeans? Should I wear navy or should the socks match the shoes?

When wearing patterned socks should one of the colors match my shirt or be in the same family?

I transitioned from white socks years ago and I think it was a great move. (When did this trend start, the 40's or 50's maybe?) Now the only time I wear white socks is if it's with an athletic shoe and I'm wearing shorts. I never wear white socks with any kind of long pants. The few white socks I wear during the summer months are the only white clothes I even own. (I guess I own white dress shirts but I've sometimes gone years without wearing one.)

With jeans, I try and wear a sock that closely matches the jean. I have dark blue socks as well as some that are lighter, more like a faded denim. I'll sometimes wear black socks if I'm wearing a black shirt or if I'm wearing my black/gray athletic shoes but blues are my everyday, go-to color. Whether black or blue with jeans, they are all casual socks, never the thin dress socks. The only time I wear patterned socks is for serious dress and I match the predominant color with the pants.

Last edited:
I wear boots most of the time for work so I still wear White Socks. I wear color match to my pants socks plain or patterned with dress ware and suits.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
What color socks do wear with jeans? Should I wear navy or should the socks match the shoes?

When wearing patterned socks should one of the colors match my shirt or be in the same family?

Congrats on the upgrade.

The first place to start is wearing socks that are the same colour as the pants, and perhaps a bit darker (so if you have three differently shaded jeans, buy blue socks dark enough for the darkest jeans, & they work with all of them.) You match the pants, not the shoes.

The next step is to mix up the colours, but keeping with conservative colours and maybe some patterns ... so, not "matching" the pants but "complimenting" ... remember, navy goes with everything (except maybe black.) So look at your outfit for the day, and ask yourself ... what colour socks would make this look better? It's kind of the same as picking a tie or pocketsquare (you won't wear these with a casual outfit, but you can pretend.)

This is as far as a lot of guys get, and that's fine. You can hang out at this stage for a while, and get comfortable with it.

Eventually, as you gain confidence in your sock-picking-fu, you will get a bit more daring, and eventually you will be able to take more and more adventurous choices. :001_cool:

Where would you recommend ordering some from? I ordered 2 from Paul Fredrick's clearance site yesterday with promo code "PXHSNW" for $7.95 shipped. This promo code is a BOGOF & free shipping on any clearance items.

I picked mine up from Amazon. Need to order some dress shirts from PF and will prolly add more socks...

If you use the coupon I mentioned above and buy multiple doubles...you will need to make multiple orders of 2 items. You'll understand what I'm saying when placing order.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
interesting topic. i transitioned to black socks 90% of the time about 2 years ago after reading in a magazine that no one should ever wear white socks. i think it was in Esquire or GQ. I wear black socks with my jeans and black Red Wings. when my work atire consisted of kahkis i wore dress socks with a design and color that was similar to the kahki color. bout the only time i wear white socks is when i havent washed any of my blacks.

Top Bottom