What's new

Fatboy Adjustment Dial - Not Clicking

I just picked up a Gillette Fatboy that has a smooth, non clicking adjustment dial. When I turn the dial clockwise it will push the four little tabs up - so it will adjust up and down, but there is no click at all between 1 and 9. Can anyone suggest a fix? Thanks!

Last edited:
A good starting point is soaking the razor in hot water and dish soap. Let it cool and set over night and see what tomorrow brings.....

I will post some pictures tomorrow after the soak. It seems to me the entire TTO mechanism is loose. Should I attempt to tighten the cap at the very bottom of the razor (with the two indents)?

I will post some pictures tomorrow after the soak. It seems to me the entire TTO mechanism is loose. Should I attempt to tighten the cap at the very bottom of the razor (with the two indents)?

Loose TTO and no click on adjuster are two totally unrelated problems. Copierguy's advice to soak first is very wise . . . you could have some gunk keeping the index spring from "clicking" the adjuster. Can you turn the dial past the 9 setting, or below the 1? If the spring is not gunked up, it may well be broken. It is very fragile, and replacement springs are not available.

The loose TTO could be a bit of "knob drop" which is easily fixed by re-crimping the groove that retains the TTO knob into the handle tube. The retainer cap is either threaded or crimped onto the end of the center rod, with slight pressure against the compression spring. It has nothing to do with knob tension.

Is there any chance that this razor may have been disassembled by a previous owner? If so, that could be the problem . . . as Copierguy so sagely stated above!

^Thanks. The adjuster dial will stop at 9 and one with pretty weak clicks. It seems like the spring has dropped down from its intended location. Or maybe I need to put more of a bow into the spring after dissassembly?

Last edited:
ere is a good thread http://www.bruceonshaving.com/2010/10/02/an-original-gillette-adjustable-safety-razor-patent/

http://vintagesaws.com/fatboy/fatboy.html
proxy.php

Top Bottom