What's new

Brush - congested with lather

Alright, so I'm lathering on my face.

I've put an almond to two almond dollops on the brush and I've raised the hair to my face. Lathering, lathering, lathering. I've now developed a good amount of rich lather on my face.

I use the brush to even it out in a painting motion. Proceed to first pass. Wash.

Now when I bring the brush up to my face to lather for the second time. The brush is super congested with lather. Upon bringing it to my face it splays open.

The bristles don't move freely because of how congested it is with lather. It makes lathering my face for the second pass difficult.

What's happening?

Thanks!

Sounds too thick. Brush isn't releasing so you don't have good flow thru. Try adding some more water into the brush in your first pass maybe?

It is the nature of some brushes to hold lather in the breach of the knot. Its not a bad thing, but it can surprise you the first few times just how much is being retained in the brush rather than transferred to your face.

If you're satisfied with how the lather shaves, there is no need to adjust product/water ratios. You can if you want to, but more than likely, the new mixture will still wind up being retained inside the knot.

Just give the brush a little squeeze from the bottom of the know to move it out of the breach. You should have enough in there for 3 full passes will plenty left over for touch-ups.

I only used two squirts of cream because I am under the impression that my water is hard.

I'll try using one almond squirt of cream.

Don't be afraid to make plenty of lather. Very few shaves have been less than pleasant because there was too much good lather in play. It sounds to me as if you need to mix a little more water into the lather that you are making- it may be a little too stiff.

We could make a positive suggestion if you could take a photo of the brush when its in the unsatisfactory condition. It is extremely rare to have a "Too much product" condition.

So I shaved with half the amount yesterday. Which is still a healthy almond sized squirt. Same issue.

There was less lather to begin with but again it was not flowing out of my brush. It sat deep inside.

Don't be afraid to make plenty of lather. Very few shaves have been less than pleasant because there was too much good lather in play. It sounds to me as if you need to mix a little more water into the lather that you are making- it may be a little too stiff.

Its not too much lather. Its too much lather stuck in brush.

What kind of brush are you using?

Crabtree & Evelyn Pure badger.

We could make a positive suggestion if you could take a photo of the brush when its in the unsatisfactory condition. It is extremely rare to have a "Too much product" condition.

I'll take a picture the next time.

Top Bottom