What's new

Fooled by Parker Silvertip Badger

Hello Everybody- I wish I would've found this website before I purchased my badger brush but oh well, you live and learn right. I'd really appreciate some advice. The brush I purchased:http://www.amazon.com/Parker-Safety-Razor-Silvertip-Bristle/dp/B002UB3BF8, has a good weight to it and my initial impression was quite good. However after several uses I'm finding this brush isn't for me. It's extremely floppy with no backbone and makes it hard to apply the lather on my face once I've mixed it in a bowl. I tried researching the loft and knot size for it but it's no where to be found on any website. Amazon has already agreed to let me return the brush. So I was hoping to get some advice from everyone here on what would be a good brush for a newbie like me in the same price range 60-70 bucks. Thanks.

Whipped Dog Silvertip 24mm set at 50mm loft. Around $40. Or if you want a nicer handle Rudy Vey and some other members here make art out of brush handles.

Vulfix 2233S or 2234S. These are on the floppy side. If you want more backbone you could go with a Simpson Berkley.

Wow, you guys have given me something to think about. Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I'll be sure to let you know which one I go with.

I never considered this before Attila. I checked on the whipped dog website and they only have a 24mm with a 65mm loft but you recommended a 50mm. Is this something I can request from them? And secondly, if I choose to go with a Rudy Vey handle do I have to order the Whipped Dog brush first and then send that to Rudy Vey or how does that work?

You can also go for a TGN finest knot and have either Rudy Vey or Bob Farvour come up with something pretty nice. Like mentioned, you'd probably want something set at about 48-50mm.

I never considered this before Attila. I checked on the whipped dog website and they only have a 24mm with a 65mm loft but you recommended a 50mm. Is this something I can request from them? And secondly, if I choose to go with a Rudy Vey handle do I have to order the Whipped Dog brush first and then send that to Rudy Vey or how does that work?

At Whipped Dog, when they set it into the handle it becomes 55mm but you can have them drill up to 10mm in for the loft to be at the lowest 45 but I think 50 is a good height. Rudy Vey and Bob Farvour (thanks Sam, I couldn't recall Bob's name at that moment) have their own knots that they can put in there for you. You can request what loft you want on the brush when you order it. Depending on what you want to do with it (Face or bowl lather or a combination of both will determine what loft it should be set at). But best thing is to just look at each craftsman's wares and determine for yourself what you would like to do. Not an easy decision! Good luck and keep us posted as to what you pick.

If you want backbone I'd suggest a Simpson. The Colonel is in your price range and the one I had was a nice brush.

Another vote for Vulfix 2234. I have the Super Badger version and I found it very pleasant for using in bowl with creams and later apply to the face, and it has a good price for its quality (it's made by Simpson)

If you want more backbone I would recommend Simpson Commodore X2, it has the same hair but with a denser knot although is a more expensive brush.

Cheers!

Thanks again everybody for the great advice. After a late night of surfing the threads and reading up on different brushes I've narrowed it down to two brushes. Both are Simpsons: The Colonel, and the Commodore X2. I've decided not to got the custom route just yet as I'm still new and don't quite understand exactly what brush is good for me. I want my first custom brush to be ordered with confidence. So it's a toss up b/w the Colonel and Commodore. Any last thoughts?

Secondly Amazon said they would allow me to return the Parker, but I've noticed on many threads here when a guy gets a brush and doesn't like it, most of the time he just keeps it. Not too many people return brushes around here, they just end up as part of the overall collection.

Thanks again everybody for the great advice. After a late night of surfing the threads and reading up on different brushes I've narrowed it down to two brushes. Both are Simpsons: The Colonel, and the Commodore X2. I've decided not to got the custom route just yet as I'm still new and don't quite understand exactly what brush is good for me. I want my first custom brush to be ordered with confidence. So it's a toss up b/w the Colonel and Commodore. Any last thoughts?

Secondly Amazon said they would allow me to return the Parker, but I've noticed on many threads here when a guy gets a brush and doesn't like it, most of the time he just keeps it. Not too many people return brushes around here, they just end up as part of the overall collection.

If you dont like the brush, and they will let you send it back, then by all means send it back. Most of us keep brushes we dont like because, you can almost never send a used brush back for sanitary reasons. So if they are willing to take it, get rid of it. I had that same Parker years ago, and although it was very very soft, it was way to floppy for me to use.

Before you purchase a Simpson best, do you like how soft the Parker was? A Simpson best will almost never be that soft, it will have some skritch to it, and how much skritch is anyones guess as the grade is a bit random. If you want that, then the Simpson is a good choice, however if you dont want the brush to feel skritchy on the face, I would look at something else.

You can also go for a TGN finest knot and have either Rudy Vey or Bob Farvour come up with something pretty nice. Like mentioned, you'd probably want something set at about 48-50mm.

+1 or a Silvertip Grade A

As for trying a custom first, I say thats that its better to try a custom as your second brush, as you clearly have something you want to avoid in your next brush. Rudy and Bob are both experts in tuning a brush to your tastes and techniques. Just my two cents though.

Your Parker was a 22mm brush set at 55 or 60mm I cant remember exactly from the one I owned a couple years back. I hope that helps you figure out what size to pick in whatever brush you choose.

Last edited:
If you dont like the brush, and they will let you send it back, then by all means send it back. Most of us keep brushes we dont like because, you can almost never send a used brush back for sanitary reasons. So if they are willing to take it, get rid of it. I had that same Parker years ago, and although it was very very soft, it was way to floppy for me to use.

Before you purchase a Simpson best, do you like how soft the Parker was? A Simpson best will almost never be that soft, it will have some skritch to it, and how much skritch is anyones guess as the grade is a bit random. If you want that, then the Simpson is a good choice, however if you dont want the brush to feel skritchy on the face, I would look at something else.

+1 or a Silvertip Grade A

As for trying a custom first, I say thats that its better to try a custom as your second brush, as you clearly have something you want to avoid in your next brush. Rudy and Bob are both experts in tuning a brush to your tastes and techniques. Just my two cents though.

Your Parker was a 22mm brush set at 55 or 60mm I cant remember exactly from the one I owned a couple years back. I hope that helps you figure out what size to pick in whatever brush you choose.

That's great advice, thanks. I was anticipating the Simpson to have more skritch and I think I'm o.k. with that. Now you've got me thinking about a custom again. haha.

I've had X2, X3 and Colonel Super. Most people on the forum will suggest you buy the Colonel but I find the Commodore handles more comfortable even for use with a bowl. Saying that, Loric is right, these Simpsons Best brushes are quite scritchy. Some like and tolerate this property, some don't. The level of scritch is unpredictable too. From the four Simpsons brushes with best hair that I've tried, only 58 had almost no scritch.

The Simpson Best grade hair certainly has some scritchness to it. I have never found it harsh or uncomfortable but it is noticeable and will certainly be more so for you coming from such a soft brush. For a brush with soft tips yet nice backbone, I would suggest a Rooney Super size 3/1 or 1/2. These are going to be in your price range and offer soft tips, nice density and good backbone. If you want to go up just a little bit in price then Savile Row (sold by qedusa.com) are excellent brushes. Another option would also be a Shavemac Silvertip. I believe bullgooseshaving.com and westcoastshaving.com have the 23 mm knot size for about $115. Once again, these will be softer tips than the Simpson Best but yet still have good backbone.

Finally, Jim at vintagebladesllc (a good place to check out the Rooneys) has a new line of Vintageblade brushes made in China. The price points are very good (around $30). I have not tried them out, but trust Jim as a quality vendor to put out good products. You can also call him and he is great to talk with over the phone and give you feedback on whether the brushes might meet what you are looking for in your first good brush.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank everybody here for your help and suggestions. After careful thought I changed my mind and decided to go the custom route. I've just submitted my order with Bob Farvour and I'm so excited!! I'll let you all know when it comes in. Thanks again.

... So I was hoping to get some advice from everyone here on what would be a good brush for a newbie like me in the same price range 60-70 bucks. Thanks.

well for this price range you could get two Whipped Dog silvertips. try two different lofts. If you like one with a bit of weight try one in a ceramic Firehouse Potter handle. buying from Larry at Whipped Dog means you get something unique as well. there's probably thousands of those Parkers out there. there's only one each of the two Whipped Dog brushes I have. search B&B you'll find lots of info on Larry's products.
Also a very well respected name around here is TGN. they have a great following here and decent prices as well.

Top Bottom