What's new

Need some advice about where to shop

I am in the process of taking off about 35 pounds, and when done, will be a weight last seen when Clinton was President. At the time, my job tolerated any clothes I decided to throw on, so I have nothing at that size that is suitable for my current job. Being in a major city, I have access to many fine clothiers including Brooks Brothers, Burberry, high end department stores, etc. We also have a fairly large independent clothing shop that stocks many high end brands, provides free tailoring, etc. When I first had to shop for decent clothes, I went here and worked with a salesman who took good care of me, working within my budget, and got the same treatment from him when I went back. When I went in again recently, he was no longer there, and my experience was more high pressure, used car, and though the clothes I purchased are excellent, I couldn't help but regret the purchases.

Here is my dilemma. Do I support the local business and go back (avoiding the most recent salesman), or branch out and give the others a go?

strop

Now half as wise
I like to support my small town business owners when possible, but not at the expense of a bad experience. I HATE SHOPPING and start to sweat and develop hives when I'm in a mall for too long. Other things equal, the experience and ease of buying are tops on my list.

I would shop around a bit, even if only window shopping, and then circle back to the store which was the best overall fit (clothing or style wise) or just felt right on some other intangible level. I say this in ignorance, without understanding what an independent clothier means, as I otherwise assume they are not a chain but may buy from the same overseas producers as the mid-size chain stores.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Advice you can dance to ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't help much but to say congratulations with the weight loss, I'm going through a similar situation myself so I'll be following this thread.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
When I first had to shop for decent clothes, I went here and worked with a salesman who took good care of me, working within my budget, and got the same treatment from him when I went back.

What do you mean by "decent"? Are we talking suits here, or just khakis and polos?

(Different strategies for different types of clothing, you see ...)

What do you mean by "decent"? Are we talking suits here, or just khakis and polos?

(Different strategies for different types of clothing, you see ...)

I'm a research scientist by trade, and the dress code typically consisted of "casual casual." When I transitioned to the business side of things, the wardrobe had to change and I upgraded to khakis, slacks and button downs. I had a couple of sport coats and ties. I've moved up since then, and my clothes still consist of the basic slacks and button down uniform, but higher quality stuff. I also have a few of the lower end Calvin Klein suits when needed (my recent Alden shoe purchase cost more than each suit). Anyway, I'm going with relatively low cost transitional slacks from Lands End on the way down, and when I get in the target range, will make the investment in higher quality stuff. My job has increased in responsibility and visibility, so I will be investing in a few more suits.

strop

Now half as wise
My only complaint about Orvis is that none of their shirts are available with sized sleeve lengths. You would think that for the price one should be able to select an exact sleeve length.

i HAVE LOST 42 pounds, about 40 more to go, I too am putting the new clothes thing as a prize for myself!! If you have a Nordstrom close by I would suggest taking a trip in and asking to speak to a personal shopper. They will help keep you looking good, without you having to think about it!!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm a research scientist by trade, and the dress code typically consisted of "casual casual." When I transitioned to the business side of things, the wardrobe had to change and I upgraded to khakis, slacks and button downs. I had a couple of sport coats and ties. I've moved up since then, and my clothes still consist of the basic slacks and button down uniform, but higher quality stuff. I also have a few of the lower end Calvin Klein suits when needed (my recent Alden shoe purchase cost more than each suit). Anyway, I'm going with relatively low cost transitional slacks from Lands End on the way down, and when I get in the target range, will make the investment in higher quality stuff. My job has increased in responsibility and visibility, so I will be investing in a few more suits.

Thanks. Almost halfway there!

Cool. Congrats on the weight loss, and yes, it's a good idea to not buy lots of clothes until you hit your 'permanent' weight. (Note, I said "permanent" rather than "target" as you need to figure out what weight you can actually maintain over the long term. Hopefully that's your target weight, but you may find that "life gets in the way" of the diet & exercise regime necessary for that weight, and you may end up 10 lbs over, or some such thing.)

For suits, if you can, see if there is a tailor in town who does Made to Measure or bespoke suits, or look for travelling tailors (high-end tailors from London, Italy, Hong Kong &c travel about to major US cities a few times per year.) Short of that, once you hit your final weight (and thus body shape) start trying on suits. Just go to all the best men's shops in town and try on a few. This gives you good comparison for the various suits (quality and fit/style), and gives you the added benefit of comparing the various stores too ... comparing salesmen, and getting "second opinions" from them as to what suit fits you.

No matter what suit they suggest, try it on and also try on one that is a size smaller. (A lot of salesmen suggest suits that are too large.) You may end up finding a salesman & store that you like an want to give your business to, and at the least you will find out what your suit size is so you can order off the internet with more confidence.

For higher end, you can't beat Nordstroms for suits, shirts and ties. I go a bit down market for casual clothes.

I got a dud pair of Allen Edmonds shoes from them (heel separated from one shoe and wore a hole through the other in 6 months), so we'll see how they do on the customer service when I return them.

I've been retired for almost eight years and haven't bought a suit in a long time, but I'll chime in here, for what it's worth. Once your weight has stabilized and you think that you have a fix on what style of dress you favor (and favors you), shop around until you find a place that provides both selection and service. Then buy the best quality that you can afford. I had fitting problems (jacket/pants size were out of synch) and bought my suits from a small, suburban clothing shop that had excellent tailoring and service. Most of my suits were made by Southwick (no idea what they are like today); years back, the store clued me into a program that Southwick had, whereby you could pick fabrics from a swatch book and the suit would come in to them partially constructed. Their tailor would then finish the job, giving you an almost custom suit, for a very reasonable additional charge. I've also had clothes made, in Hong Kong, but was never pleased with the results. I live just North of NYC and think that the best places to shop around my area are smaller, customer oriented shops that cater to their customers versus the NYC stores.

I got a dud pair of Allen Edmonds shoes from them (heel separated from one shoe and wore a hole through the other in 6 months), so we'll see how they do on the customer service when I return them.

I'll certainly give Nordstrom's a try, as they accepted the defective shoes back, no questions asked, and a brand new pair of AE LaSalles will be shipped to me directly.

I've been retired for almost eight years and haven't bought a suit in a long time, but I'll chime in here, for what it's worth. Once your weight has stabilized and you think that you have a fix on what style of dress you favor (and favors you), shop around until you find a place that provides both selection and service. Then buy the best quality that you can afford. I had fitting problems (jacket/pants size were out of synch) and bought my suits from a small, suburban clothing shop that had excellent tailoring and service. Most of my suits were made by Southwick (no idea what they are like today); years back, the store clued me into a program that Southwick had, whereby you could pick fabrics from a swatch book and the suit would come in to them partially constructed. Their tailor would then finish the job, giving you an almost custom suit, for a very reasonable additional charge. I've also had clothes made, in Hong Kong, but was never pleased with the results. I live just North of NYC and think that the best places to shop around my area are smaller, customer oriented shops that cater to their customers versus the NYC stores.

This is a great point, as I've not considered the custom or semi-custom route before. I'm all for quality that lasts a lifetime over quantity. If I pick classic styles, I should be set for years.

Top Bottom