View Poll Results: What spikes your Nog?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rum

15 50.00%
  • Whisky

10 33.33%
  • Other

5 16.67%

Thread: Egg Nog, what do you put in it?

Default Egg Nog, what do you put in it?

The time of year is upon us when we say, "To hell with the hazards of uncooked eggs, let's just pour some booze in and call it good."

So who puts what and how much in their 'Nog?

Last year I did three fingers of Knob Creek in a half gallon batch. My brother and aunt agreed with me that it was in need of more fortification. (Other family members not big on real nog, had to tone it down a bit)

This year, I need to do a "Family Friendly" batch with just enough for taste along with some high test "Santa's Sleigh Fuel." I'm thinking Canadian. Either Canadian Club or Seagram's.

One last question. Would Moon Shine work in egg nog? I'm sure some adventurous soul has tried it.
    Last edited by Kilroy08; 11-05-2012 at 06:10 PM.

Gotta Love some Irish Whiskey in it.

Images

Tradition in my family has always put rum in it. Largely because nobody else drank it and it seemed a good way to use it up.
    Jim P. - St. Petersburg, FL

ackvil (at) badgerandblade.com

Any questions? Just ask! Since I may not read all of the posts feel free to PM or Email me.

"Winning is
    like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."
    Jack Kemp

“Be a gentleman at all times. Shine your shoes, shave every day, be considerate of others, and don't chew with your mouth open.” Words of advice from my late mother.

I use Irish whisky, to be exact.

Images

Oooh, I bet Irish Whiskey would be great in Egg Nog. Never even crossed my mind til now.
    Jason: Vampire Shaver

Images

Brandy, fresh nutmeg, hand whisked egg whites, milk, heavy cream, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract. Mmmmm...
    Gareth | TheHandleBarSupply.com
    Rooney, Kent, Clubman, Fine Accoutrements, Stirling Soaps, QCS, DE Blades, Pomade and more.
    Use Coupon code BBMEMBER for 10% off most items. Free CONUS shipping on orders over $55.

I voted rum, but I actually put 3/4 cup of rum & 1/2 cup of brandy (half gallon of eggnog). I don't know that I'd try moonshine though - shot glasses only.

Captain Morgan & plenty of it! A little cinnamon & nutmeg. Store bought stuff 'cause I'm too lazy to make my own!

I voted rum, but I tried some Evan Williams pre-made stuff with whiskey that was on sale - not too bad. By the time I got back to the Liquor Barn they were sold out.

~Frank
    ~Arko August 2012 Warrior~ Proud Member of Cult of Arko

Rum for me typically. I think this year I might try a little Jameson in it.

My wife likes Captain Morgan in hers... not at all un-tasty... and Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum is pretty good, with a all together different spice taste, and at 92 proof has much more oomph than the Captain.

But me, I like to spice things up with the Austin Nichols Wild Turkey 101 Kentucky Bourbon!!
    Well, my days of not taking you seriously are definitely coming to a middle

Images

I votes whiskey, but now I have a lot of other ideas to try. Thanks guys. Gonna need more egg nog.
    --- Ty ---

Veni, Vidi, Ego Tondeo!

I usually put a pretty good snort of Myers's Rum in my nog. A bottle of rum lasts me a couple of years. I can't stand it normally but love it with egg nog.
    Johnny Dale

Images

Thumbs up

Egg Nog??? My favorite rum to 'spike' with Nog is the Puerto Rican 3 Star Ron del Barralito...awesome on ice or neat.

I get this rum On-line from the 'Grand Wine Seller', but sadly they don't ship either internationally nor to Iowa, Indiana, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, North Dakota, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Texas and Utah (must be a state Tax thing).

The Grand Wine Sellar

"Hey...Don't Hog the Nog". Author Unknown
    Chris ~ Order of Pinaud, Head & Face Latherers Club United, Alliance of Merkur, League of Extraordinary Mild Shavers, Voskhod Comrades Club, Brotherhood of the Boar, Foxhole Shavers Club & The VDH Society!

Images

No alcohol here. Just some fresh grated nutmeg on top.
    ~Jon~
    BBS Challenged

Member of the B&B 2011 Rudy Vey custom Brush Buy
    I gave to Soap For Hope
    I survived the 2011 B&B Upgrade

Images

brandy. but whiskey will be dandy
    ~ Virgin Island Bay Rum on the rocks

Images

Mad Man's recipe for Egg Nog.

3 fingers of any whiskey over ice.

Throw eggs at mother in law.
    [FONT=arial]Paul aka Mad Man.
    M&F Chief Group Buy 2013.[/FONT][FONT=arial black][FONT=arial]
    [/FONT][/FONT] Support B&B - [COLOR=#004499][URL="http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/payments.php"]become a contributor[/URL]
    [/COLOR][B][FONT=verdana][URL="http://tinyurl.com/7hvpl4f"][COLOR=#004499]B&B Forum Rules[/COLOR][/URL] [/FONT][COLOR=#cc0000]|[/COLOR] [FONT=verdana][URL="http://tinyurl.com/7zdbt64"][COLOR=#004499]Getting Started[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT] [COLOR=#cc0000]|[/COLOR][FONT=verdana] [COLOR=#004499][URL="http://tinyurl.com/7sopa3n"]Tutorials[/URL]
    [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][B][URL="http://tinyurl.com/bhvn9z6"][COLOR=#004499]Forum Etiquette[/COLOR][/URL] [COLOR=#ff0000]| [/COLOR][URL="http://tinyurl.com/7iqcdx9"][COLOR=#004499]Acronyms[/COLOR][/URL] [COLOR=#cc0000]|[/COLOR] [URL="http://tinyurl.com/7gjtlhb"][COLOR=#004499]FAQ[/COLOR][/URL] [COLOR=#cc0000]| [/COLOR][URL="http://tinyurl.com/7fa8vzj"][COLOR=#004499]What is a PIF?[/COLOR][/URL][/B][INDENT][/INDENT]

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Man View Post
    Mad Man's recipe for Egg Nog.

3 fingers of any whiskey over ice.

Throw eggs at mother in law.
    Great recipe!

I add Maker's Mark to my egg nog
    --- Psycho Inmate #49 ---

vodka.

Ambien

I usually like a dark rum, such as Goslings, but I also like it with bourbon. I find that the smooth creamy taste of eggnog calls for spirit with some bite!
    Support your local shave shops! leavitt-peirce.com www.colonialdrug.com