What's new

Merkur Bakelite 45 [MK030] screw came out?

Has this happened to anybody else, I like my Merkur Bakelite, it was my daily shaver and it is GREAT for travel. Yesterday I loaded up a new Russian 7:00 O'clock and just as I put it to my face, the top part that holds the blade in the safety ridge fell off, I almost scraped the bare rzaor blade on my cheek. :ohmy:

It appears that the metal screw that screws into the handle came unglued from the other plastic top. I'm wondering if anybody has had this happen and how did you fix it? [or did you simply toss it?]

I bought this from Amazon in May, so it didnt last a full 5 months. Any comments, more interested in suggestions?

Was it not threaded the full length?

Yes it was threaded full length, apparently the way these are made is that a brass screw is glued into a recessed area of the top portion that screws into the handle, and it looks like the glue failed and the plastic part that holds the blade down simply fell off.

I will try to post a picture, I'm thinking of maybe trying some two part epoxy to fix it

Be nice, Verba. However, I would recommend a brass or copper razor with whatever plating you want. If you want a cheap plastic razor for travel you can do a lot cheaper than the Merkur Bakelite (I bought an unbranded plastic DE razor from Best Shave for $1.75, it is cheap and light but shaves surprisingly well, just buy two in case one does break). I certainly wouldn't buy a new low-level Merkur, they are known to use pot metal and once the plating wears off there goes your razor. With a brass, steel or copper razor when the plating goes you still have a usable razor.

OK this is the first time I posted photos here so I hope it works. Below is what the Merkur 45 Bakelite looked like after screw came out of top part...

proxy.php

proxy.php

Almost raan this over my cheek as it fell off...

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
There are quite a few model 45 razors out there, and this does not seem to be a common failure. I would certainly contact Merkur: the "export sales" contacts listed at http://www.dovo.com/_english/kontakt_DOVO.html are a good place to start. Shipping the razor back for repair might not be worthwhile, but they would probably like to know about the failure and they might simply send you a replacement. Attach those photos.

For DIY repair, Dovo/Merkur might be able to suggest the right glue or epoxy, too. Some plastics are particular about adhesives.

I wouldn't even try to fix it.

If it ends up even a little crooked one way or another it would never line up right.

I'm just glad to hear you noticed before taking another swipe!!

There are quite a few model 45 razors out there, and this does not seem to be a common failure. I would certainly contact Merkur: the "export sales" contacts listed at http://www.dovo.com/_english/kontakt_DOVO.html are a good place to start. Shipping the razor back for repair might not be worthwhile, but they would probably like to know about the failure and they might simply send you a replacement. Attach those photos.

For DIY repair, Dovo/Merkur might be able to suggest the right glue or epoxy, too. Some plastics are particular about adhesives.

Thanks for that suggestion and link, I sent them a message with photos

Thanks again mblakele, this morning I received this response to the e-mail I sent at the link your provided...

"Thank you for your email and the photos. A new top is on its way to you by air mail."

That Merkur Bakelite 45 razor is an excellent shaver. I enjoy mine. If I were you I would go to the hardware store and get the stongest appropriate glue I could find, and repair it. It should be an easy fix. Any product from any manufacturer can fail as an anomaly. I wouldn't trash the razor or bad mouth the entire Merker line of razors. I have 5 or 6 Merkurs and have been very pleased with them.

If you do not fix the razor, maybe someone on the forum would like to have a good razor for the price of postage and a tube of glue.

It's nice to see Merkur owned up to it. They have been making some shady excuses when it comes to plating failures.

Thanks again mblakele, this morning I received this response to the e-mail I sent at the link your provided...

"Thank you for your email and the photos. A new top is on its way to you by air mail."

I do appreciate European companies and products. I rep for 2 swiss companies and the level of quality and customer satisfaction is a cut above most others. Thanks Merkur!

I really don't think that the Merkur razors are well built at all. The only one I have is the 34c, but has any one noticed how few threads are engaged when you screw the top on, not more than two or three I'd say. As the head is made of zamak I don't expect it to last years like a DE should.

Top Bottom