What's new

Vintage Blades...use 'em or just display?

I see a number of vintage blades offered along with razors on ebay. Are these just collectors' items or still useable. I would be curious to hear if anyone has tried them and how they liked them. Also how old?

I'm sure this might stir up some controversy. I have used some of my dad's old 25 yr old Schick Platinum blades with very good results. Others might say to throw them out. If you have a few blades that look pretty crappy, then I'd say not to use them. However, some of the Feathers being sold today might actually be NOS, so who knows how old they might actually be....this is a moot point because they are pretty good shavers.

In short, YMMV on what the old blades can do.

Carbon steel blades are a probable no-no, but stainless blades can be okay.

IMO most are good to use, as long as they have not developed rust. The carbon steel and swedish steel for awhile were considered sharper than the stainless, because their edge wouldn't chip away so quickly. Both Gillette and Schick had very decent non-stainless blades.
It is fun to give them a try, keep in mind (a) they are not going to have the "slick" feel if they are not teflon or polymer coated, and (b) one MUST take them out of the razor and wipe them dry after each shave otherwise they will leave rust marks.

I enjoy using NOS stainless steel blades. I've used Wilkinsons and Gillettes from the 1970s and they are better, in my opinion, than any current production blade I have tried.

I have used a few old Super Blues...not particularly good results, but fun to experience. Make sure you're using some that are packaged, and not loose, and don't expect to make yourself a BBS shave with them. For me, I've put one or two in my Fatboy, dialed it down, or I might use one in a SS, which I consider pretty mild...then I just enjoy the experience, without too much trouble.
Just make sure you know where they've been--I don't know how many pathogens can survive in a metal box being carted around to flea markets and antique stores for 50-60 years...:eek:

Top Bottom