What's new

Just ordered 2 M&F Custom Made 2-Bander :

Hello BrushFanatics :001_cool:

I just ordered these 2 M&F brushes from Lee - any advice to corrections before I paypal Lee the money ?

I face lather exclusively, and only creams and croaps - NOT soaps.
My scuttle is only used as a brush scuttle........

I build lather directly on my face - sometimes for variation and if my face needs a bit of rest and also because I need to START USING ALL MY BRUSHES - I combine two creams, and use one brush for face lathering directly on my face for the first pass, and then for the second or third pass I use a second brush and palm-lather that the first 20-30 seconds and then face lather it for the rest of the time. This is an efficient way of breaking in some of my stiffer 2-Bander and a good way to use all of the brushes in my growing collection - plus I get to use more of shaving creams, having 60+ shaving cream means I NEED TO USE MORE PRODUCT TOO :biggrin1:

I'm going for a Jade and a 'Snow Leopard' M&F - inspired by Mike P :001_smile

proxy.php

My custom brush specifications:

Brush 1 - Jade colored handle
Handle height: 48 mm
Knot size: 28 mm
Knot loft: 50 mm
Knot shape: BULB
Hair Type: 2-Band (preferably old stock Rooney Finest 2-Band)

Brush 2 - Black, Grey & White 'Snow Leopard' colored handle
Handle height: 48 mm
Knot size: 28 mm
Knot loft: 48 mm
Knot shape: FAN
Hair Type: 2-Band (preferably old stock Rooney Finest 2-Band)

Wow, my man are you eating these brushes????
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
I would love to see pics of your VERY,VERY IMPRESSIVE collection, in fact, I'd probably pay admission!
Beautiful choices sir, beautiful!

Wow, my man are you eating these brushes????
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
I would love to see pics of your VERY,VERY IMPRESSIVE collection, in fact, I'd probably pay admission!
Beautiful choices sir, beautiful!

:biggrin1:

Please note that the pics above are of Mike P's 2 brushes - my 2 custom M&F's will share the exact same handle design - only in different patterns, and only the knots will vary :thumbup:

Beautiful! I love M&F:001_wub:, though I've never owned one yet. :tongue1::tongue1::tongue1:
It'll be my dream to own such brushes one day(hoping it's coming very soon :thumbup:)

Er....didn't you just order 5 x custom Shavemacs from Bernd....?

Having said that the snow leopard will give your Shavemac brown/black handle a run for "prettiest colours" award.

That's a nice pair! If you can get the finest or something similar, I'd go for a fan knot on the chubby as well.

See my specs list - jade will be bulb, snow leopard will be fan - pics are of Mike P's custom M&F's, not mine - just wanted to show what pattern handle I was ordering. Lee still has to built both of mine from scratch - totally custom order, will take Lee 14 days to built them, probably because of Christmas orders coming in now already :thumbup:

If I can offer a piece of advice I'd like to say that until you spend a significant amount of time with a brush you might not truly understand what it can do and what your preference can be. It sounds like your approach is to buy everything you can and try it out that way. If you are a collector by all means collect them. I just find that asking for input on brush characteristics is pointless if you're not spending enough time with each brush to really learn what each brush does. I was somewhat in your boat and my sbad came on pretty strong. Not as strong as yours but strong enough that after having close to 20 at a time I asked myself if I really knew each one of my brushes to be able to say what I liked about them. Ultimately I realized that the more time I spent focusing on one I figured out I didn't really need the rest.

Just a thought from someone who's been there.

Last edited:
If I can offer a piece of advice I'd like to say that until you spend a significant amount of time with a brush you might not truly understand what it can do and what your preference can be. It sounds like your approach is to buy everything you can and try it out that way. If you are a collector by all means collect them. I just find that asking for input on brush characteristics is pointless if you're not spending enough time with each brush to really learn what each brush does. I was somewhat in your boat and my sbad came one pretty strong. Not as strong as yours but strong enough that after having close to 20 at a time I asked myself if I really knew each one of my brushes to be able to say what I liked about them. Ultimately I realized tht the more time I spent focusing on one I figured out I didn't really need the rest.

Just a thought from someone who's been there.

I see what you mean and I agree.

Problem is that you can't test a brush before you buy - so I need to buy them, then figure out which ones I like, love and dislike - then I will decide which ones to keep and which ones to sell.
But I feel I get very good performance from most of the brushes I've bought so far - maybe because of luck, maybe because I'm slowly beginning to figure my preferred specs out.

I agree that most badger brushes probably benefits from a break in period, especially the tough 2-banders - but most badger brushes supposedly should give you great results from 2-3 shaves in, and then improve even further.

Your specs list the handles of both brushes at 48. You may want to consider doing something similar to the pic where the jade is taller than the snow leopard.

Your specs list the handles of both brushes at 48. You may want to consider doing something similar to the pic where the jade is taller than the snow leopard.

No Sir - since I only face lather, a tall handle like the Jade has, is a NO GO for me, and useless at best !

I have found that handles from 44-50 mm in height is what I prefer - and a good round diameter.
Therefore I carefully selected both brushes to be of 48 mm in height, my ideal height for a handle.

But thanks for taking the time to come up with some suggestions - I really appreciate that highly, Sir :thumbup:

Top Bottom