What's new

A Simpsons 50´s Question

Love my chubbies sized 1+2. Densed beasts! Recently I picked up a Duke 3. I just adore it! The D3 has a 24mm knot with a 47mm loft. I do have other Simpsons (with different gradings) but I guess these thress are my favourites. These three are in best grading.
I face lather exclusively and I was somewhat intriuged by the 50`s for some reason.
Can anyone please give a comment on the 58`s as I will contact Simpsons directly and ask for a custom made so the specs would fit my preference.
- Minimum blooming. Yes I know that 2-bands are less "bloomy" but in my taste the 2-bands are too soft. Thus the hair in best grading
- Suitable for face lathering
- Fan, bulb or hybrid..?

I was thinking a loft of below 50mm thus coming close to the D3.. Apart from the handle is this more or less the D3 or is the 58 a denser brush?
Any comments or suggestions appreciated from you guys!

The Duke 3 will be a denser brush than the 58, which has a higher loft. I tend to think that the 50s have comparable amounts of badger in the knot to the Dukes, given the similarity of the prices, but my 58 has a higher loft than my D3. My 57 has a 23 mm knot with a 48 mm loft, and, frankly, is perfect for me, blowing the D3 away. The 58 blooms more than the 57, due to the higher loft. Still, it's not like a Vulfix or similar brush with a less dense knot.

I love the handle of my 58 but wish it had the Best badger used a couple years ago . The new stuff is scritchy.Other than the scritch its a solid performer.

I have a 58 bulb in best and feel it is a great brush. Its dimensions are similar to the Duke 3, but a bit less dense; its loft is only 1-2 mm more than the D3. IMHO, I think the handle size is the major difference. If you are a bowl latherer, the 58's longer handle will be useful, although it can easily be used for face lathering. Knowing what I know, if I had a Duke 3, I'd probably consider a 57, since its smaller size will broaden your scope of brush types.

Thanks to you all three! Each one of you provided me with very useful information. Looking on the Superior Shaving site is rather interesting. The specs for both the 57 and the 58 are very similar. Only the knot size differs slightly (the 58 is about 1mm thicker). Apart from the 57 and the 58 handles they probably perform equally(?).
As for the best grading- I agree that the tips on the ones I got a few years back are whiter and they also have less black hairs.

Top Bottom