What's new

3 piece slant razors

I've an Apollo slant that originally had a Bakerlite handle. I swapped the handle with a UFO handle:
$Apollo UFO 003.jpg

Can't stand that you cannot get to the blade tabs on the ikon. Inexcusable on a slant.

i have no problems getting the blade aligned. ive used three different ikon slants now and no issues with any of them to be honest as long as i load the blade like the video shows i might (only happened a couple times) have to loosen and adjust slightly but normally just fine. i prefer the tabs to be covered myself

I thought most of the modern slants like Merkur were 3 piece and you could swap the handle for an aftermarket. They must be 2 piece eh? That will likely keep me from buying the Merkur. I will have to try the iKon when I am ready.

i have no problems getting the blade aligned. ive used three different ikon slants now and no issues with any of them to be honest as long as i load the blade like the video shows i might (only happened a couple times) have to loosen and adjust slightly but normally just fine. i prefer the tabs to be covered myself

I've only had a problem once and I think it was due to excessive glue spots. I like the look of the covered tabs too.

The head on the Lutz Slant is actually asymmetric, presumably in an effort to modulate aggression from side to side. I'm surprised you didn't mention that. TBH, I don't think it changes things much, but those solingen-style heads in general are my favorite slant heads.

I hadn't noticed that kcb5150, thanks for noticing and letting me know! I shaved with mine a few times, but the shave was "rough" so I've put it away in its cardboard box. Probably time to give it a second chance!

Hi,

On the vintage Soligen made slants, the side with the fewer number of scallops is the more aggressive side. Some versions use a red dot on the cap to highlight the more aggressive side.

My vintage Solingen made Fasan Double Slant covers the ends of the blades, so this is not a new idea. The Ikon is a modern copy of a vintage Slant, BTW, although the name of the original is escaping me at the moment.

Stan

I've been intending to make a video of this with my personal Lutz to highlight this design aspect. I'd say it does work, but I would not say it is extreme variance. I think it would be more noticeable on a head like the merkur design to have a side with less exposure vs the solingen head which is utterly forgiving to begin with.

Top Bottom