Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 piece slant razors

Images

Default 3 piece slant razors

Can anyone tell me who makes a 3 piece slant razor? I have a few heavier handles from BRW and UFO and would like to match them up to a slant head.

Thanks
    Steve

Images

Merkur made a vintage travel three-piece slant that was Hoffritz branded. Currently, I can't think of anyone who makes a three-piece slant. Tradere is coming out with an open comb slant soon.

Images

Thanks James, I'll have to look around. Hopefully I'll find one
    Steve

Images

POMCO also had a "Merkur" Travel razor that was a 4 piece slant.
    Last edited by Copierguy; 10-27-2012 at 01:21 PM.
    Vintage Stainless

Images

I've been looking for one of these as well. They are indeed rather scarce!
    :Ravi:

vivere est cogitare

Merkur made 3-piece slants definitely until the late 80ies, maybe a few years longer. These razors are not in production anymore. I think a 3-piece slant from Merkur with the handle of the Merkur 30c would be a real beauty, but Dovo gave me the information, that there will be no 3-piece slant in the near future made by them.

From time to time there are 3-piece slants offered on the bay. These razors were sold with the Hoffritz, Coles and Merkur branding and maybe with other brandings.

You can also search for vintage travel slants made by Merkur. These models come up more often that the Merkur 3-piece slants. These have also the Hoffritz, Coles or Pomco branding.
    Last edited by Oel; 10-27-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Images

Thanks for the info
    Steve

The plastic/bakelite slant everybody likes now sold by the Italian Barber is a 3 piece razor and theoretically will take other handles. Might be an interesting combination if the handle does not overpower the head.

They pop up on ebay from time to time and a lot of people bid on them, seems like hot comodity lately
    Toby

Yea I want one too
    Hating on Arko since 11/28/2012 | Founder of the He-Man Arko Haters Club

Images

Toby, I keep my eyes on eBay but I only see 2 piece slants. One day I'll find one.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by random-hero View Post
    Toby, I keep my eyes on eBay but I only see 2 piece slants. One day I'll find one.
    Italian Barber Bakelite slant can be used with other handles. The heavier handle improves that head a lot.

Images

Default Lutz 3 Piece Slant Razor

I just purchased from the bay an unknown NOS German 3 piece slant razor. It's from a manufacturer called Lutz. I do not know the vintage or history of Lutz and I have not seen any discussion about Lutz safety razors in B&B, but I still bought it because the razor looks interesting and it was offered along with another NOS German travel razor. Pictures below - the one on the left is the Lutz 3 piece slant razor:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lutz1.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	292952

Name:	Lutz2.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	292954

Mine is the second such razor I have seen in the ebay and these don't come up often. Keep your eyes out on the bay for this one!
    BOTOC'er||TOFLAC-U Member

Quote Originally Posted by random-hero View Post
    While you are waiting to pay $150-$200 for the Hoffritz/Merkur travel slant here is something you can do for about $30.

Name:	DSCN2387.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	293287

The Bakelite slant head with any number of handles, this being a Sabi. Improves the shave and helps get you over the angst of waiting for the 3 piece Merkur slant.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelinkarte View Post
    While you are waiting to pay $150-$200 for the Hoffritz/Merkur travel slant here is something you can do for about $30.

The Bakelite slant head with any number of handles, this being a Sabi. Improves the shave and helps get you over the angst of waiting for the 3 piece Merkur slant.
    Is that the one from Italian Barber?

I'd seen that and I thought it might be too light ... is that the idea of the heavier handle?
    -Lee
    Foxhole Shavers Club, BOBS, BOSS, LOBOS, Order of Pinaud, AOM, SASS, BOTSS

Quote Originally Posted by LBussy View Post
    Is that the one from Italian Barber?

I'd seen that and I thought it might be too light ... is that the idea of the heavier handle?
    Yes

Sorry for the necro-bump. Will the vintage Merkur Slants fit a gillette handle or other handles? Like say a three piece Parker.
    BOTOC, BOSS, Order Of Pinaud, Rubbberset 400 Club, Knight of the VegTable

My open comb merkur head more or less plays nice with other handles. Some get a bit firm at a point but maintain threading together. Someone else should chime in. Don't force it ever. Just asking for trouble with your cap if you do.
    Last edited by kcb5150; 10-25-2013 at 11:56 AM.

The head on the Lutz Slant is actually asymmetric, presumably in an effort to modulate aggression from side to side. I'm surprised you didn't mention that. TBH, I don't think it changes things much, but those solingen-style heads in general are my favorite slant heads.

Name:	WP_20131024_17_14_39_Pro.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	379258

Name:	WP_20131024_17_14_39_Pro.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	379258

Quote Originally Posted by thekinge View Post
    I just purchased from the bay an unknown NOS German 3 piece slant razor. It's from a manufacturer called Lutz. I do not know the vintage or history of Lutz and I have not seen any discussion about Lutz safety razors in B&B, but I still bought it because the razor looks interesting and it was offered along with another NOS German travel razor. Pictures below - the one on the left is the Lutz 3 piece slant razor:

Name:	Lutz1.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	292952

Name:	Lutz2.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	292954

Mine is the second such razor I have seen in the ebay and these don't come up often. Keep your eyes out on the bay for this one!

There is the new stainless Ikon Slant (http://www.bullgooseshaving.com/ikon...s-steel-slant/). Expensive, but an insanely well crafted 3-piece slant. One of my favorites
    I'm not an expert on handles, but I have read posts where others just bought the head b/c they had existing handles.
    B.O.S.S. - Ikon Slant, Merkur 37C; Gillette 70 Black, Poly SI; Bigalow, TOBS, MWF