What's new

Help me choose a Semogue

The 1460 is cheaper than the 620 but has a similar knot loft. I bowl and face lather with it I feel it does both equally well.

I've had/have the 1305, 610, 620 and the 830. I sold the 1305 as I thought is was a bit to floppy for my tastes.

The 620 is a great choice.

I use the 620, 830, and SOC
Semogue was my first brush. I bought the 1460 because it was the cheapest brush. A year later I considered buying a 1305 or SOC but decided against it because I do not want to go through a month of inferior shaves while it breaks in when I have so much love for my 1460. Moral of the story is you cannot go wrong with any of them. Semogue boars are the best.

off the four Semogues I have owned, the 1305 gets used to most. I always find it hard to believe that people say that they had to deal with weeks or months of bad shaves until the brush breaks in. All of my boars have been fine after a couple uses as far as making a respectabel lather.

Loved the 610, replaced it with the 2011 LE Bristle 1, but only because I already had the LE. The 610 was a great performer.

Loved the SOC boar, replaced it with the 2011 LE Bristle 2. I like the non-wood handle on the LE; both are great performers.

The 1305 was my first boar, and I still have it. I think it's the most versatile, so far as bowl and face lathering go. I tend to face lather with the LE 1, bowl lather with the LE 2.

I also have a Caravela, which is very versatile, too, but difficult to find.

My criteria was the same as the OP. I primarily face lather with soaps but I wanted a brush that would handle soaps and creams (doesn't take much to handle a cream0 and is equally at home used with a bowl or face. After reading about every thread on Semogues (check out shm's reviews) and asking some specifics I went with the 1800 mainly because I like the natural wood handle and I was intrigued by the mixed tops in the knot. That said, I firmly belive you could blindly reach into a box of Semogues and grab one and be just fine.... They are that good. Decide on the handle type, color, size, bristle type that meets you fancy and go for it.

P.S. My next Semogue will be the SOC in cherry handle!

There is one Semogue that fits the bill:

It is the LE 2011 in two (2) and again in either Boar or Bristle, I would highly recommend the two (2) band finest Badger size 2.
Excellent for Soaps or Creams, Face or Bowl. The handle material Grey/Black marble.And shape arks back too the 1950's.

Charles U.K

Top Bottom