What's new

Bay Rum

I've been on a bit of a Bay Rum tear lately and my BRAD is in full gear. Looking for suggestions for more, More MORE!!!

Here's the current line up:
Captain's Choice Bay Rum Aftershave
Genuine Ogallala Bay Rum Aftershave (all versions with the straight Bay Rum my favorite)
Krampfert's Finest - Bay Rum Acadian Spice After Shave
C.O. Bigelow Bay Rum Aftershave Balm - No. 1401
Master Bay Rum Aftershave

Received this week:
Rockabilly Hawleywoods Layrite No. 9 Bay Rum
Gilbert Henry Bay Rum Aftershave Balm (1 ounce sample at this point)

Ordered tonight (10/25):
Dominica Bay Rum

Will order next week:
St. Johns' Bay Rum

Superior 70 still on my list to pick up also.

What other ones should I get? NOT INTERESTED in Pinaud VIBR at this time!!! While I will undoubtedly pick up a bottle of it at some point, I'm soliciting suggestions for other ones.

Last edited:
Well, here's a bay rum that always intrigued me...

proxy.php

Apparently my ASAD is in remission, since I haven't picked it up yet!

I've tried some on your list; those I've tried that aren't there are Dominica (both "plain" and "with limes" versions) and Emsplace (Bay Rum Aftershave and Body Splash). [EDIT - I just saw Dominica was on the "to get" list. So Em's is all I got... you can't get Burt's Bees balm any more. Soemone PIF'ed a partial bottle of that to me, and it's pretty durn good].

I also have a sampler of Emsplace cologne/oil. Because I like the splash scent a WHOLE lot, and it doesn't last very long at all. From your list -- I think I like the CC best as a daily driver, the Krampert's best for when the shave was particularly irritating (but GH is close... different texture... argh, that's a tough one).

I know you said no Pinaud, however, one of the best bay rums I have ever used is a mix that was created by a B&B member and is used by several others. It has been affectionately called Bootlegger's Bay Rum and is a mix of equal parts of Master BR, Pinaud BR, and Superior 70 BR. The balance created by mixing the three if these is amazing.

I am also a Bay Rum fan. I have given many a try and also had sucess with various home made recipes. I enjoyed mixing 50/50 PVIBR and Master. My current favorite is to purchase online Stephans Bay Rum {very inexpensive} and then spice it up with essensial oils. Approx 7 drops Bay Rum extract, 10 drops Orange and 6 drops Lime. Be sure and shake before use. You may also consider adding Colonel Conk to your list.

I cannot give enough praise for Sauvecito's Bay Rum. It is only $6.99 a glass bottle. It is smooth to the nose like master's, but then has a nice spice bite that I like.

What do you think of the C.O. Bigelow Bay Rum Aftershave Balm - No. 1401, I have that and the cologne of my wishlist.

If you like really spice and rummy go for Captain Smiths...thats stuff can nock your socks off with burn...but a good burn

I love Bay Rum and wasn't aware of all of these...thanks for posting! Please follow up with impressions of them.

I know you said no Pinaud, however, one of the best bay rums I have ever used is a mix that was created by a B&B member and is used by several others. It has been affectionately called Bootlegger's Bay Rum and is a mix of equal parts of Master BR, Pinaud BR, and Superior 70 BR. The balance created by mixing the three if these is amazing.

Similarly.... Try "PinMaster", a 50/50 of Pinaud Virgin Island and Masters BR. I find the VIBR has too much clove for me. The blend seems to be about right. Masters is essentially just bay oil. The blend seems to be about right. I have to get some Superior 70 and make some "Bottlegger's"!

I cannot give enough praise for Sauvecito's Bay Rum. It is only $6.99 a glass bottle. It is smooth to the nose like master's, but then has a nice spice bite that I like.

What do you think of the C.O. Bigelow Bay Rum Aftershave Balm - No. 1401, I have that and the cologne of my wishlist.

I've tried it once so far. Initial impression was that it has a very nice scent and it's a great balm but does not have what I think of as a Bay Rum scent. I know that it will take more than one or two attempts before I can say for sure. Stay tuned!

Dominica BR and Dominica BR with lime are both nice and not that big of face stingers, which I like. I have about 5 or 6 BR and sometimes layer them first with Citrocol (lime cologne made in St. Lucia) which adds a different slant and longevity to the mix. I have tried the mixes such as Pinaud and Masters "Pinmasters" which gives you additional slants. Bay rums are fun to experiment with and I've even made a BR ASB for the summer. QCS also has a BR ASB called Cayman that nice too.

I too have been going a bit crazy for Bay Rums lately.
Most though are a bit too spicy for me, just don't appreciate clove much. Then I found this http://www.coldspringapothecary.com/shop/Aftershave-+Rocky+Glen.html
Made local to me, it's the most 'just bay rum' scent I've ever tried. Not cheap but great stuff. I also have the Woodlawn.

Their whole line can be found here http://www.coldspringapothecary.com/shop/index.php

Is it because it's local that you know it's Bay Rum? Nothing on the site says so. At least not as far as I can see. What "flavor" is the Woodlawn? Looks interesting. Thanks for bringing these into our awareness.

Is it because it's local that you know it's Bay Rum? Nothing on the site says so. At least not as far as I can see. What "flavor" is the Woodlawn? Looks interesting. Thanks for bringing these into our awareness.
Their site is terribly lacking in descriptions and I've mentioned it to them. They said they are about to undergo re-construction of it. They so say in person that the Rocky Glen is their bay rum (why not on the site?). The Woodlawn might be hard for me to describe, while I read the fragrance forum a lot, I'm still a real newb about descriptions. It was bought by my wife for me so I've not talked to them about it. It's a little sweet but very light sweetness, perhaps with a little 'green' mixed in. Very non-offensive. They are both non-alcohol, witch-hazel based. So if you like kick, you may have to add a little something.

Tell you what I'll do. I think enough of these that I'll make a call to them tomorrow and re-post. I want to know what's in Woodlawn and the other two I haven't tried. The Highlands and Hudson. I think enough of this shop that I want to try them. I'll find out if they have samples.

Their site is terribly lacking in descriptions and I've mentioned it to them. They said they are about to undergo re-construction of it. They so say in person that the Rocky Glen is their bay rum (why not on the site?). The Woodlawn might be hard for me to describe, while I read the fragrance forum a lot, I'm still a real newb about descriptions. It was bought by my wife for me so I've not talked to them about it. It's a little sweet but very light sweetness, perhaps with a little 'green' mixed in. Very non-offensive. They are both non-alcohol, witch-hazel based. So if you like kick, you may have to add a little something.

Tell you what I'll do. I think enough of these that I'll make a call to them tomorrow and re-post. I want to know what's in Woodlawn and the other two I haven't tried. The Highlands and Hudson. I think enough of this shop that I want to try them. I'll find out if they have samples.

Thanks ShaveThis -- I'm curious. I like their packaging... that plain, old-fashioned apothecary bottle thing. And am always a sucker for promising Bay Rums in particular. (I want to get some Cobra Spit, now, too, which I'd also never heard of before this thread!)

I too have been going a bit crazy for Bay Rums lately.
Most though are a bit too spicy for me, just don't appreciate clove much. Then I found this http://www.coldspringapothecary.com/shop/Aftershave-+Rocky+Glen.html
Made local to me, it's the most 'just bay rum' scent I've ever tried. Not cheap but great stuff. I also have the Woodlawn.

Their whole line can be found here http://www.coldspringapothecary.com/shop/index.php

if you dont like the clove scent in most bay rums...you need to get yourself a sample of Captain's Choice bay rum. No clove at all just bay, rum and some citrus...very nice...my favorite bay rum ever

Their site is terribly lacking in descriptions and I've mentioned it to them. ......

If they came up with a little sampler pack i bet they would sell lots of 'em on here. Thanks for undertaking to find out more about their products.

I had a little tiny sampler of Captains and it didn't blow me away, but it was only enough for 2 shaves. It's hyped soooo much on this board it's making me feel like I need to just order a bottle. I think I'll wait til his new release is available and get them both :thumbup:

Top Bottom