What's new

Edwin Jagger razors what's the verdict?

Hello all! I wanted to know what the Edwin jagger razors are constructed of. I was looking around at the Razor emporium site and they included The jaggers as one of the razors on their list of "POT METAL RAZORS" I thought they were constructed of brass. I thought Merkurs and a couple of others were actually zinc. So what's the final word on these razors? If constructed of brass I will get one. I know brass will stand the test of time without breaking a sweat unlike zinc. I know the Gillettes are still hanging around for many of us to enjoy for just this reason.
Let's hear it !

It is not brass, that I know. From what I understand - for the most part - you're going to have to buy Vintage to get that. There are other options out there that will last not brass, like stainless. However, EJ is a high quality construction with top notch finishing. If you take care of it, it should last a very very long time.

Pot metal. Didn't stop me from buying one. Sure it may not last as long but it's reasonably priced. There are companies who make razors without pot metal but they are considerably more expensive.

Edwin Jaggers are what is called pot metal, same as Merkurs. Pot metal, zinc alloy, Zamak, all normally refer to the same material. FWIW, I think the Edwin Jagger DE series are just fine for the price.

If you take care of it, there is no reason why it won't last well beyond your lifetime. If problems do occur, replating can be an option if it eventually becomes a collector or heirloom object for someone. I would imagine the production runs of some of these modern razors we are using nowadays are much smaller than what Gillette was doing in their heyday which would mean that there will be less of some of the models of modern razors in circulation in 50 years or so.

I haven't seen a rash of people posting about how their razors have broken down due to the base material. Come to think of it, I have never seen a post about a razor in this category "wearing out". I have seen a few where there was a defect or the finish was chipped due to being dropped, etc., but I have yet to see a post where someone said that the razor was just worn out from use.

The handles are brass and the heads are pot metal. Iv'e had two that I sent back due to the poor quality of the plating on the head (under the top plate and in the slots of the base plate). Iv'e seen a few of reports from owners complaining of the threaded post snapping off, sometimes due to a drop, sometimes not. They do look nice, appear to shave well, and are popular with many.

I did read a couple of times that the Fatip (a modern, new razor) is made of brass.
It also used to claim that on the packaging.
But now they come in a blue box without writing on it.
I do know the Fatip shaves as a dream, which is more important, finding THE razor for you.
Then buy 3 if you have any doubts of it not surviving the next 20/30... or so years.

Beautiful razor, shaves great, and the material makeup is solid. I use my DE89L razors with SuperMax SP blades and get DFSs each time I use it, which is about three to four days a week (my other favored razor is an adjustable, Merkur Progress--a superb razor). I have found that the razor is blade sensitive with respect to the quality of shave. I had used the Jagger with Astra SP blades and had so-so results; and Feather's were too much blade for me in the DE89. But, when I loaded a SuperMax SP blade, the DE89 came to life for me and it was instant harmony. The key for me re the DE89 was to try different blades until I found 'the one'; it's not necessarily the sharpest blade that works the best, it's the one that will repeatedly deliver a comfortable DFS for you. I used to get too concerned about razors' materials; however, after purchasing two stainless steel razors, each cost almost five times the price of a DE89, that delivered about 1/4 the shave--never again. As I'm sure you know, more than the material makeup is the razor's performance. I shouldn't admit this, but I now own four EJ DE89L razors--I also use the barrels from my DE89s on my Gillette Tech, Cadet OC (seldom used by me), and Merkur 1904 OC (also seldom used, very mild OC razor). I wish you the best.

Stainless or brass may last 'the test of time', but you won't be around that long! I have a couple Merkur's, (three to be exact), a DE89, and a vintage Super Speed. I use the DE89 and the Merkurs the most. I could care less what they are made out of, or how long they are going to last. I am faily confident that if I take care of the razor (don't drop it or use it as a door stop) it will last plenty long.

I have read a number of people say the threads have snapped off as well, but mine never did because I gave it away long before that. Other than that, you could always buy a cheap vintage razor and have it replated. This route is pretty pricey though, considering you could buy around 3 EJ's for that price. I have a Fatip and I can say it is heavy for it's size which would indicate it's made from brass, and I also can say it shaves very well.

Enjoy the razor in your lifetime, don't worry about what will happen to it when you die. Even if you bought one every 5 years... think of it as supporting a company that is actively involved in designing and manufacturing items for a hobby you enjoy. Rather that using a product made by a company that walked away from your hobby a long time ago.

I have read a number of people say the threads have snapped off as well

I think I have seen two or three such reports (one sounded like it was dropped). I am guessing they have sold 100,000+ (this may be a low guess) with the new design so some perspective is important.

I just used Mine Today, with a Feather blade and Weber Classic Polished Handle, What an awesome Shave, and that my friend is what its all about thr shave :eek:)

I know there not made of brass but i have had mine for close to two years now and it still looks new, i just like to replace the handles to heavier ones and prefer Solid Stainless Steal Handles.

Most Brass Razors dont survive a fall without some sort of defect, TTO will usally fall out of alignment, Open combs will have bent teeth if dropped :eek:/ just treat your EJ with care and it should last you a life time :thumbup:

I just used Mine Today, with a Feather blade and 2012 "NEW STYLE" Thicker Weber Classic Polished Handle, What an awesome Shave, and that my friend is what its all about, The shave :biggrin1:

I know there not made of brass but i have had mine for close to two years now and it still looks new. I just like to replace the handles to heavier ones and prefer Solid Stainless Steal Handles.

Most Brass Razors dont survive a fall without some sort of defect, TTO will usally fall out of alignment, Open combs will have bent teeth if dropped :scared:. Just treat your EJ with care and it should last you a life time :thumbup:

Last edited:
I own an EJ DE89 "barley", and it's my favorite razor.

I checked the physical properties of Zamak, and I was pleasantly surprised. It's reasonably strong -- not quite brass, but not too far off. If it's not in a salt-water environment (e.g., on a boat), it should last a long time.

The threads on the head (the only thing subject to significant wear, I think) are chrome-plated. I just put a drop of oil on mine, and will repeat that occasionally. "Plumber's grease" might be even better.

I figure the razor will outlast me, and I'll let my heirs worry about what to do with it after I'm dead.

. . Charles

The handles are brass and the heads are pot metal. Iv'e had two that I sent back due to the poor quality of the plating on the head (under the top plate and in the slots of the base plate). Iv'e seen a few of reports from owners complaining of the threaded post snapping off, sometimes due to a drop, sometimes not. They do look nice, appear to shave well, and are popular with many.
Umm, mine has 2 dot size under the top plate and that was after 3 weeks use and I always dry my razor. How did you request warranty? Did you have to pay anything? prepaid shipping the damaged head? TIA!

Umm, mine has 2 dot size under the top plate and that was after 3 weeks use and I always dry my razor. How did you request warranty? Did you have to pay anything? prepaid shipping the damaged head? TIA!

Email them and describe the problem (you can get their CS email at the Contacts section of http://www.edwinjagger.com). Provide them with some good quality pictures that show the damage (I would recommend a flickr or photobucket album because emails with large pictures can get bounced). I had a head with bad plating, and they replaced it, no charge.

I'm very pleased with my DE 89. It's great and nice to look at too. Feels like a quality razor, the plating feels like motorcycle chrome ought to.

My wife catches me staring at it sometimes and mutters that her mother was right about me all along.

My brother in law has bought one on my recommendation too. He's pleased with the razor.

Top Bottom