What's new

Question for you Cadet OC users.

I've been trawling through reviews trying to get an idea of how aggressive the Cadet OC head is- as I am thinking of giving it a go.
Right now I'm using a NEW short comb. Where does the Cadet OC stand on aggressiveness- I've seen it described as in between an old type and a fatip (which is where I thought the NEW sat) between the Fatip and the R41 (Significantly more aggressive than the previous description) Ect. I understand that aggressiveness isn't necessarily a science or an absolute to the end user- but where does it stack up for you guys?

In my experience, here are my OC razors in order of aggressiveness (least to most):
Merkur Travel
Gillette New
Tradere
Cadet
Fatip
I've only had a few shaves with the Cadet so far, so I may modify as I experiment with blades and angle.
Hope this helps,
Chris

Having used the Cadet many times now, I personally find it to be the most aggressive Open Comb that I currently own, just slightly behind the 2011 R41.

I would concur with the gents who rate it right between the FaTip and the Mühle. Both Ken (BluesBishop, aka BOTOC founder, and also my twin brother) and I have found that our favorite blade, the Polsilver SI's to be too much to be used it in without making our faces feel raw.

It sings with a variety of other blades, and has made my FaTip collect dust. In fact has become my primary open comb, really an outstanding razor.

I find the OC Cadet less aggressive than the Fatip and R41 and about the same as my LC New. Very nice razor and for the price its hard to not just get one.

I used the Razorock Jaws this morning, and I understand it to be virtually the same as the Cadet OC. That being the case, I would rank the OCs I have used, from least to most aggressive, as follows:
Gillette NEW long comb
Gillette NEW short comb
Razorock Jaws (Cadet)
Tradere OC
Gillette Tuckaway (new improved)
Gillette Single Ring
Muhle R41

FWIW, I find little difference between the Jaws/Cadet, Tradere and Tuckaway, and I find the single ring and R41 to be at a whole different level of aggressiveness. I've never used a Fatip.

After another shave with "Jaws" this morning, I'm inclined to move it up a couple of notches on my list. This razor definitely has a lot of blade exposure. I would now put in the same class as the Single Ring in terms of aggressiveness.

So here's my revised list, least to most aggressive:

Gillette NEW long comb
Gillette NEW short comb
Tradere OC
Gillette Tuckaway (new improved)
Razorock Jaws (Cadet)
Gillette Single Ring
Muhle R41

Just my observation. YMMV.

I have a Merkur 11C, Gillette Old Type, Gillette New LC and SC and the Cadet OC. The Cadet is more aggressive and close than any of the others. I have only used the Cadet once with a a Gillette Black blade so far and have more experimentation to go with different blades so take my review for what it's worth. I enjoyed the Cadet and I look forward to trying some more blades in it.

I own a Cadet T26 as well as a FaTip and don't see any difference between them. In fact, the similarity made me curious enough to put them side-by-side and I found them, for all practical intent, identical. When I pulled out the Joris, same thing. There isn't enough difference in the caps to matter, and the bases look identical. Shave the same also, for me. The Cadet is finished better than FaTip, which isn't saying a lot, but for $25.00, I think its a bargain. I'm still suspicious that its really a Parker because of casting issues (off-square cap) which are identical to Parker issues and long thread post also like Parker. I found a square Parker cap that matched and mated a spare Tradere handle, and have a great Franken-razor. Shaves identically to the Fatip Grande and Joris, and looks really good.

A followup to my earlier posts:
I, too have moved the Cadet up in my aggressiveness lineup. As Kevin (KPG102) mentioned, it has a lot of blade exposure. In fact, I shaved with my Cadet + Personna Blue. To me, the Cadet is more aggressive than my Fatip and my Tradere...so much so that I sliced myself open right under the nose. The last time I did that was with a straight razor when accidently sliding it horizontally. So, for today, Cadet = Sweeney Todd. I've never done this with the Fatip nor with my Tradere OC. As always, YMMV.
My new ranking of aggressiveness:
Merkur Travel
Gillette New
Tradere
Fatip
Cadet

Chris

Ouch! Heres to a quick recovery sir! I thought I was the only one that found the Cadet OC razers a tad too aggressive...for my liking anyways.

I bought a Cadet a couple of weeks ago but I am planning to leave it unopened until about July so I have something new to play with halfway through the 2013 sabbatical year. Interested to see how it rates against the Fatip and Tradere OC.

Top Bottom