What's new

Shave_rat's Just another journal

Second shave today, definitely not as easy going as the previous ones, the bay rum really let me know that my skin took a shave. Face and neck feel fine now, however, so it isn't irritated after the fact. I'll see how tomorrows goes and decide if I'm done playing with 2 shaves per day or not.

Second shave today, definitely not as easy going as the previous ones, the bay rum really let me know that my skin took a shave. Face and neck feel fine now, however, so it isn't irritated after the fact. I'll see how tomorrows goes and decide if I'm done playing with 2 shaves per day or not.
proxy.php

I'm just pushing your buttons my friend. I'm pretty sure that's my job around here.

Many who experiment with various things have been labeled mad... I guess I'm in good company there. lol
You're in very good company. Experiments are fun. Sorry to hear of the rough shave. I was hoping to see you push this a little longer but there's no need if you're gonna hurt your face. You only have one and all that.

I'm just pushing your buttons my friend. I'm pretty sure that's my job around here.

You're in very good company. Experiments are fun. Sorry to hear of the rough shave. I was hoping to see you push this a little longer but there's no need if you're gonna hurt your face. You only have one and all that.

I just may be able to keep going after all. I wasn't sure when I started out, and the Musgo pre-shave soap stung... lol

Very very careful on pressure with the shavette, I paid extra attention to not hitting a spot more than once between lathers, did 2 full passes and a third on my cheeks (that have no issue handling it, it's the neck that gets more sensitive), and the results are DFS mostly. AS splash wasn't any worse than average, and better than some days where it's been 24 hours between shaves. So, that tells me I didn't add any damage to the skin after last nights, so I will indeed give it a second shave for today tonight after work at some point.

One thing this experiment is doing, it's really making me pay very close attention to my technique, so that's a plus.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
To me, the shavette is the last of my razors I would be using for daily double shaves. The edges is super sharp but also more harsh than a normal straight. The smoothness of a straight should treat your face much better than a DE blade. Worth trying.

To me, the shavette is the last of my razors I would be using for daily double shaves. The edges is super sharp but also more harsh than a normal straight. The smoothness of a straight should treat your face much better than a DE blade. Worth trying.

My plan was to throw in a standard straight at some point as well. Part of my theory for myself is that with the shavette, I know it's sharp enough to use minimal pressure, and if I can go 2 shaves a day with the shavette, I should be able to easily do it with a milder razor. I'm sort of working with a thought that the edge may not be harsh, as much as I tend to use pressure like it's a standard straight.

Tonights shave I'll grab like maybe the Liliput and see how that goes.

:popc: I'm loving watching this thing unfold, it's like a suspense film, I'm just waiting to see how many days you can go with two-a-day shaves. On another note, paying attention to your technique I'm sure is helping a lot. What blade are you using in your shavette?

:popc: I'm loving watching this thing unfold, it's like a suspense film, I'm just waiting to see how many days you can go with two-a-day shaves. On another note, paying attention to your technique I'm sure is helping a lot. What blade are you using in your shavette?

I think it's a good learning experience on technique, for sure. I'm using Personna labs in a Blue Beard's Revenge shavette. I only keep 3 DE blades on hand... Personna labs, Feathers, and Voskhod.

I gave this a shot for the last 36 hours and have already quit. My fairy dust coated skin can not take the abuse. I thought the straights would be gentler than the DEs but they're not gentle enough. I could have gone for a few more shaves, but after three in 36 it was obvious where things were headed. Having lost most of my good looks through hard living, bad women and worse scotch, it seemed intemperate to destroy what little was left for the sake of curiousity.

I gave this a shot for the last 36 hours and have already quit. My fairy dust coated skin can not take the abuse. I thought the straights would be gentler than the DEs but they're not gentle enough. I could have gone for a few more shaves, but after three in 36 it was obvious where things were headed. Having lost most of my good looks through hard living, bad women and worse scotch, it seemed intemperate to destroy what little was left for the sake of curiousity.

It's definitely not all technique that will dictate if someone can manage this or not. There are some of us with skin that won't even tolerate a daily shave, they have to go every other day or whatever.

I'm sort of thinking that that after 4 or 5 days of it, if I'm still managing, that should mean that things have equalized between abuse on the skin with the shave, and healing done before the next one, so if you make it 5, you can pretty much just continue the routine indefinitely, unless you suddenly really abuse your face once, or your healing abilities slow down for whatever reason.

One thing this experiment is doing, it's really making me pay very close attention to my technique, so that's a plus.
That's definitely a plus. Anytime you concentrate on technique I feel you get better with technique.
I think it's a good learning experience on technique, for sure. I'm using Personna labs in a Blue Beard's Revenge shavette. I only keep 3 DE blades on hand... Personna labs, Feathers, and Voskhod.
Interesting. I only keep 3 blades on hand myself: Personna Lab, Feathers, and Gillette Super Platinum(aka Gillette Blacks).

Interesting. I only keep 3 blades on hand myself: Personna Lab, Feathers, and Gillette Super Platinum(aka Gillette Blacks).

I liked the Super Platinum dark blues a lot more than the blacks, but I went on the sabbatical before I could purchase a bulk pack of them. Otherwise I'd have those sitting around as well.

I liked the Super Platinum dark blues a lot more than the blacks, but I went on the sabbatical before I could purchase a bulk pack of them. Otherwise I'd have those sitting around as well.
Haven't tried the dark blues but I may have to someday. Seems like you have similar preferences. Although, blacks are really good for me in the razors I have.

Haven't tried the dark blues but I may have to someday. Seems like you have similar preferences. Although, blacks are really good for me in the razors I have.

The blacks were serviceable, but the blues were a lot smoother for me. I found the Personna's to be sort of in between them, and just way too inexpensive compared to the blacks, so I never stocked up on the blacks.

So far, the Voskhods only get used in my Fatboy, but they were also cheap, so the 100 or so I have of them will last... forever. lol

Used the Liliput instead of the shavette. Comfy 2 passes with some touchup on the cheeks. I think, for the 2 pass shave, the shavette does a far better job with getting the shave smooth, providing I don't add pressure. I'd call this one DFS/SAS. Definite downgrade from the shavette results, but it is a tiny bit more comfortable, so that's the trade off.

I received a dubl duck special number 1 in a trade this afternoon. She's not going to win any beauty prizes any time soon, but she should be functional enough. At some point a rescale had been done, but very basic and a bit rough. The pins have sharp edges, the scales are sharp edged and not rounded off at all, and they are translucent fluorescent greenish yellow. The blade is in OK shape, as in it'll take an edge and shave probably perfectly ok, but has it's own small issues. It's been uneven honed, heavier on the toe, slightly tapered blade width due to that, and slightly rounded from the original spike point. It catches and passes a HHT, so it isn't all bad.

I'm thinking next year if I can pick up some better scales for cheap, I'll look into learning how to rescale and re-pin this one. It'll never be spectacular, but I can at least get the rough edges off her, both literally and figuratively.

You got a Dubl duck? And you haven't posted pictures?? Ugly or not, a new blade makes a day much better.

I'll have to get onto getting a pic taken, I guess. lol

So, shave #87 went really smooth and easy. I actually went with 3 full passes on this one, with the shavette. I'm highly surprised how good of a shave I'm getting now with the shavette. Now that I have it dialed in, it's actually a very rewarding shave. DFS/BBS results, zero irritation, even the osage rub had nothing to say about it. :)

Second shave today, same good smooth result with the shavette. I'm thinking I have gotten far into into 2 a day shaves to safely safe my face will tolerate it for an extended period. I'll pull off two tomorrow to hit an even 90 shaves with a straight, then I'll drop back to my usual one per, mostly to give myself back the extra time I'll need to start organizing and packing for my upcoming camping trip vacation, which starts Friday.

Side note, I picked up some free Sandalwood cream samples from the C&E store at the local mall. Works well so far, I'm still more of a soap/croap guy, I think.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Top Bottom