What's new

Suits: Solid or Pin stripe for interview?

You never get a second chance to make a first impression. And I would submit that a good deal hiring decisions are based on how well the interviewer/hirer likes the applicant based on things beyond qualifications. What is viewed as compatible appearance and personality fall right in there.

You cannot go wrong with navy or dark grey.

What the Colors of Your Job Interview Clothes Convey at http://career-advice.monster.com/jo...colors-and-job-interview-clothes/article.aspx

Think what you want about monster.com, but they _are_ in the business of human resources.

I do 60 interviews a year and select 20. I pay attention to appearence. Getting it wrong is sometimes excusable. Getting it right is a (small) possible indication of maturity and good judgment. In any case, you do not want your clothes to distract from what you say and do in the room.

Cheers

I vote solid navy blue. It's professional and as long as it fits you well, you can't go wrong. Subtle pinstripes can be great on a suit, but they are flashy, and might be more appropriate after you've gotten the job. No one at the interview will notice that you wore the same suit twice. You can always change up the shirt and tie if you're worried.
Entirely agree with this. Definitely change the shirt and tie.

If possible, borrow The Suit from Cary Grant:

http://neveryetmelted.com/2008/01/04/cary-grants-north-by-northwest-suit/

Two resumes cross your desk ... one is laser-printed on substantial 25-lb stock with 25% cotton content (very nice!) and the other is hand-typed on thin, cheap office paper. Before you ever get to read the two resumes, you have already formed opinions about the two individuals, and the guy with the nice paper is farther ahead.

Not in my book :wink:

The guy with the plain paper done on the old Underwood does not rely on technology to perform. He is frugal and uses the tools at his disposal. I can work with him and give him the tools and technology that I can expect him to use to perform more efficiently, and I know he's not going to be turning in purchase req's every time Tom's Hardware or

ard-OCP give a good review to something. I also know that if I have to send him to a field office that may not be well equipped, he's going to be able to get the job done.

The guy with the flashy resume likely used company equipment, paper, and time.... UNLESS he's currently unemployed. Then he moves up a notch for being willing to invest in the hardware to make a good impression (but I'll still have my eye on him).

Oh ya... the guy that used the Underwood probably shaves with a straight too :biggrin:

This is fantastic. The banter and back and forth, the differing opinions, this what I am looking for. Tomorrow I will be picking up the suits (along with my kilt, maybe I should wear that to make an impression....I kid I kid) and can post pics of the ensembles.

More info on the interview. HR has expressed, on more than one occasion, that the dress requirements is business casual but to dress for the board. My idea of business casual is slacks and a nice button up or quality polo and shined shoes. But, my idea of an interview by the heavy hitters of the business is a fitted, laundered, well made suit. I will not be showing up in slacks and a button up, the suit is what interviews are for. I am just puzzled HR would forward this info. Maybe, it's to see who knows how to dress appropriately.

Top Bottom