What's new

Cadet Excalibur TP-26 OC

For some reason( danged enablers on this site maybe??? ) I had the urge to try another open comb razor. I know some say the R41 is a not true OC and I simply love this razor but I wanted to try an OC that was a little less aggressive so I ordered the TP-26 from Bullgoose ( thank you Phil! ) and received it today.I was going back and forth between this one and Fat tip and I just liked the looks of this one more better :) Maybe a fat tip in the future. Anyways, haven't seen a whole lot about this razor so here are my first impressions. I must say I am impressed by the looks of it. The fit and finish is almost flawless. I say almost because the handle is extremely loose when you first begin to thread it onto the head. Once you are about halfway it gets tight so I don't think it will be a problem. Thats all I can find wrong with it, that and the fact the stem on this thing is real long. So long I think it might limit how many aftermarket handles you will be able to use. My Tradere handle will thread but when it gets to the end it doesn't feel right so I stopped for fear of stripping the threads. I haven't decided if I will shave tomorrow or wait until Monday to give it a good break in and I will be sure to keep everybody posted on how it compares to the R41 with me. So much for the saving money idea of wet shaving. :biggrin1:

Chris

I'll be curious to get your shave impressions. I purchased one myself and I guess I am too used to the smoothness of my 39C slant. I found the shave to be quite rough and not very pleasurable. I've tried Feather and Bolzano blades in there so far. When I had a 2-3 day growth the cutting action was very rough whereas with my slant it's smooth like a hot knife through butter. I haven't given up entirely on it but I may end up keeping it just for the handle. No complaints about the handle thats for sure.

Here's a few pics of the TP-26. Compared to my R41 with the Tradere handle.

Attachments

• $IMG_2692a.jpg
    $IMG_2692a.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 300
  • $IMG_2693a.jpg
    $IMG_2693a.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 295
  • $IMG_2696a.jpg
    $IMG_2696a.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 297
  • $IMG_2697a.jpg
    $IMG_2697a.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 294
  • $IMG_2703a.jpg
    $IMG_2703a.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 302
That's the handle I was supposed to get. It looks really good. I was sent the needle handle so I just kept it.

That's the handle I was supposed to get. It looks really good. I was sent the needle handle so I just kept it.

wow, I can't imagine anything much thinner than this being comfortable to me, to be honest. I'm leery of how long the stem is in case I want to get a different handle. If it was about three threads shorter it would be perfect, IMHO.

Chris

I'm leery of how long the stem is in case I want to get a different handle. If it was about three threads shorter it would be perfect, IMHO.

I imagine you could find something to use as a spacer (small washers, perhaps) for the handles that the threads are too long for.

Well, I couldn't wait till Monday so I gave the 26 a try today and first off let me state the obvious, this is no R41. But, that's a good thing in this case. Yesterdays shave with R41 and a Voskhod blade, shave # five on that blade, I had an extremely great close shave. So I thought I might as well jump head first into this and see what happens. My prep was a cold (well cool actually) shower then a layer of Noxzema before the MWF ( if your on the edge about trying the Noxzema as a prep I would recommend you try it, it works and I use it before each pass ), and I used a new Astra blade ( nowhere near my favorite blade ). I could tell from the first stroke this was no R41, no where near the aggressiveness of the 41, but that's a good thing here. I did a three pass shave, my usual, and I had a great close shave, not a total bbs, but pretty close. No weepers and no razor burn. Then, instead of leaving it at that I decided to go for a fourth clean up pass on the neck. I wouldn't have even given it a thought with the 41, no way I would have pushed that far. But, I figured what the hey, got to figure out it limits somehow so I pressed on. Well I ended up with a few small weepers in my usual trouble spot and a small amount of razor burn. Nothing bad, nothing uncomfortable. I have done alot worse with different razors I have alot more experience on. I firmly believe that if yesterdays shave wasn't so close todays shave might have been alot better and I did get a dfs today. The 26 was a smooth shaver, no grabbing, no pulling, and I like the handle, it works with this razor. The razor seems well balanced and it actually seems more aggressive but more forgiving than my R89, if that makes any sense. I'll report back in a few days when I have a day or two growth and we will see how it handles then. So, my first impressions of this razor after my first shave with it is good. Very good. If it shaved as good as it did with a blade I don't really care for I can't wait to try some blades I know I really like. It just might take over the spot for my daily shaver.

Chris

I imagine you could find something to use as a spacer (small washers, perhaps) for the handles that the threads are too long for.
That went through my mind but I'm going to wait to see how the handle it came with works out. Especially since it feels like it weighs as much as my Tradere handle.

Chris

I made this comment without having the razor in my hand, and now that mine arrived, I see that the stud in the cap is ridiculously long and there is a lot of space to fill with my other handles.

However, I noticed that the cap from my EJ Chatsworth is nearly identical to the Cadet (blade aligning pins are longer) and it fits the base plate perfectly. So, I can just use the EJ cap and Cadet comb plate with whichever handle I please.

Well after a week of using this razor I think I am going to like it. I think it just might become my daily shaver. The Astra blade I used first was like using it in the R41, just not as smooth as some blades. Astra's are not my favorite blade by any stretch of the imagination and I only got two good shaves out of it. The third was rough.I used a Dorco 300 today and the shave was soooo much better.I only had a few small weepers but I think it was me getting over confident. It's starting to look like the blades that worked for me well in the 41 will do well in the 26 and vice versa, the blades that sucked in the 41 will suck in the 26. I am beginning to adapt and actually like the extremely long handle. And, the more I use it the more it really feels more aggressive but also more forgiving than say my r89 or 23c. The more I use the more I am happy with it.

Chris

Top Bottom