What's new

Cary Grant's shaving kit

He is one of those few actors that really felt "genuine". Natural and "real". Along with Jimmy Stewart he was a bit like Frank Sinatra if you know what I mean (hinting his films AS WELL as his performances on stage). What´s your favouite films by Cary Grant..?

He is one of those few actors that really felt "genuine". Natural and "real". Along with Jimmy Stewart he was a bit like Frank Sinatra if you know what I mean (hinting his films AS WELL as his performances on stage). What´s your favouite films by Cary Grant..?

Agree, although it's ironic given the polish and "finishing school" aura he projects. I suspect it comes from his extreme likability (maybe second only to the supremely likable Stewart). I like the characters he projected so much that I would never question them, for fear of losing something dear.

Considering what the man did for a living I'd be willing to bet it's more his makeup kit then a shaving kit. Very cool never the less.

Agreed. I bet the studio wouldn't let him use anything but an electric razor so he wouldn't cut up his million dollar face. Probably in his contract. He was one of the all time great actors and funny as hell when he wanted to be. Would loved to have set down and had a drink or two with him.

Let's not forget that North by Northwest contains the greatest shaving scene in all of movies.
Grant was the epitome of style, and should be a role model for any man who wishes to be well dressed.

He was very versatile, from broad slapstick in 'Bringing Up Baby' and 'Arsenic and Old Lace'; sophisticated comedies like 'The Philadelphia Story' or 'Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House' to a range of marvelous Hitchcock movies.

Because it has plenty of pipe smoking, I always liked Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House.

One of my favorite Cary Grant quotes comes from this one. When his architect is going over some of the extras with him that the building contractors had requested:

Architect: "I came to check the blueprints, some extras came in. There are a couple things we should go over."
Grant: "Really, what are they?"
Architect: "Well, let's see.... a few things here that are alright, I guess. Mortising five butts, $7."
Grant: "Well, let's not quibble about it. A man's entitled to mortise a few butts now and then."

:w00t:
Hilarious.

Ben

Random thoughts:

1. I "need" one of those travel kits. I wonder if I can get one to match my steamer trunks?
  2. My mother remembered Cary Grant from when he was a stilt walker in Coney Island
  3. ... Don't know who Cary Grant is? ... Why do I feel so old all of a sudden?

Same here....:scared:

I'll never forget Grant being chased by the biplane in North by Northwest. Classic scene. Hitchcock proved you can build suspense without any music.

Have you seen "Dial M for Murder"? There's one long dialog scene done without music (you don't notice because the dialog is so interesting), followed by a long silence leading to a critical moment, which is marked with a sudden and jarring chord. Hitchcock was a master of both silence and music -- and their combination.

Have you seen "Dial M for Murder"? There's one long dialog scene done without music (you don't notice because the dialog is so interesting), followed by a long silence leading to a critical moment, which is marked with a sudden and jarring chord. Hitchcock was a master of both silence and music -- and their combination.

Agreed, the score for 'Vertigo' has those silences with sudden sweeping chords.

Agreed, the score for 'Vertigo' has those silences with sudden sweeping chords.

Interesting that he used similar effects with different composers: Dimitri Tiomkin for "Dial M for Murder" and Bernard Herrmann for "Vertigo" (and "North by Northwest", for that matter).

Looks like an actual at-home or in the dressing room photo. Only films I can remember him shaving in were "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House," and "North by Northwest." That is unless you want to count the electric he used in the early minutes of "His Girl Friday."

My understanding is that this was taken off-set while he was filming "Arsenic and Old Lace".

It's not a shaving scene per se, but let's not forget that wonderful moment in "Charade" when Audrey Hepburn puts her finger on his cleft chin and says, "How do you shave in there?" (0:30 in the clip below)

(The exchange at 1:25 is pretty good, too.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw one of those (or at least something the same size) in an antique shop in Rhode Island last week. Probably should have bought it just for interest's sake; it had the case and blades and everything!

Top Bottom