What's new

Is the new Proraso Pre shave cream not aftershave anymore?

So I went a got the Proraso Pre/Post shave cream today, the new formulation. But to my surprise, the new formulation does not mention "after shave" anywhere, only preshave. I have seen the old formulation and it clearly indicates it can be used as both.

Is this still true?

The old formulation had packaging (in some markets) that also just said "pre" (for the same product), so maybe they just decided to stick with that.

You can try it and let us know. :)

I have used the new formula for both and it is pretty effective. Though these days I don't really use/need the pre too much unless I don't get a chance to shower before shaving. The key for using it afterwards is to using it very sparingly and to make absolutely sure that you rinse off any traces of alum from your face before applying.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
This is what the Ludovico Martelli company (manufacturer) declares. However, some wet shaving friends here in Italy still believe it works well as a post shave treatment, too.

The old formulation had packaging (in some markets) that also just said "pre" (for the same product), so maybe they just decided to stick with that.

You can try it and let us know. :)

I tried it this morning and it worked well for me, I will need to use just a bit less in the future though, because it felt like I had rubbed Vicks Vaporub on my face!

I bought some 3 years ago, and it was not labeled as post-shave, only as "pre". I use Proraso almost exclusively in warmer weather, and the pre-shave was far too thick and left my face too tacky for my liking when used post-shave.

I use the New Formula for both Pre and Post shave and It works pretty well for me But YMMV. I have a new Tube of Proraso Green and a New Proraso Aftershave splash on the way.

i bought one 1 week ago and use like pre e post shave.the smell is great and the coolest, is amazing.
used with a proraso red tube for shave.
i change each day with floid splash.
sometimes nivea balm.

I have tried it as a post shave. It works decently well, as long as the weather isn't very humid. For disclosure I tend to have dry skin.

Reviving this thread from the dead.

New member, just did my first shave and used the Prorasa Pre-shave. Doesn't mention anything about post-shave use on the package.
I don't think this is a product I would want to leave on my skin because for one, it doesn't mention on the packaging for post-shave use and WOW is it minty!

Last edited:
I think the whole pre/post thing may be a marketing effort. I use White as a post shave balm, and it's great. But I use very little of it as that's all that's needed as an afterhsave balm. As a pre, you're meant to use a lot more. So call me jaded, but I think maybe marketing it now as just a pre gets people using a lot more of it, while also buying the liquid splashes to use as an after. Call me jaded again, but I kind of think this may be a reaction to the Art of Shaving 'system'. In other words, instead of just having some wonderful shaving products, Proraso is trying to say hey, use these like this.... like AoS does.

I think the whole pre/post thing may be a marketing effort. I use White as a post shave balm, and it's great. But I use very little of it as that's all that's needed as an afterhsave balm. As a pre, you're meant to use a lot more. So call me jaded, but I think maybe marketing it now as just a pre gets people using a lot more of it, while also buying the liquid splashes to use as an after. Call me jaded again, but I kind of think this may be a reaction to the Art of Shaving 'system'. In other words, instead of just having some wonderful shaving products, Proraso is trying to say hey, use these like this.... like AoS does.

Could be, but I used very little yesterday - almond sized? - and was able to cover my whole face and neck. The menthol is quite strong and I can't imagine using any more than that.

Last edited:
Could be, but I used very little yesterday - almond sized? - and was able to cover my whole face and neck. The menthol is quite strong and I can't imagine using any more than that.

Just tried using it as a post shave cream and I didn't like the feeling it left on my skin so I rinsed it off afterwards.
My just be my imagination but didn't feel that comfortable leaving it on my skin either. I'm going to stick to using it as a pre-shave only as per the packaging.

I use it as a post shave sometimes, but if used, somewhat, liberally as a pre-shave; it leaves my skin plenty moisturized. I tend to have Dry skin where I shave, even in the summer. Dry summers on the West Coast.
It does get a little tacky as a post shave.

I use mine for just Pre-Shave. Can't think I would want it post...
I used it this morning and I agree. But I'm not sure I'm using it properly as a pre. There are no real instructions. Do i just rub it on and then lather over it? That's what I did and I got a good shave, but something seemed uncertain.

Advice?

I recently bought the Proffesional 300ml jar for £15, amazing stuff. Used it after my shave & looks like applied sun block ha ha, maybe I'll just use it as a pre shave, however I did use an allum block before.

Just rub it on and lather over it. This provides an extra layer of protection to your face. The blade will glide better on your face.

I use it only as post shave...and believe me it works great! Very good aftershave properties and very moisturizing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom