What's new

Fatip Grande [Chrome] Review

Posted a review of my Fatip Grande in chrome finish, since I could not find a official review.
So here it is:

$Fatip G C 1.jpg
Rating: 9

Positive aspects of the product (pros):price effectiveness balance
Cons:light handle
Price:9
Quality:6
User Friendly:8
Grip:8
Ease of Blade Replacement:7
Aggressiveness:10
Adjustability:1
Balance:10

I haven't come across a official review yet, so I figured let's post one. Let me first start of by saying to me this is the perfect razor. It is a RAD killer, my R89 wasn't to me (to mild), nor was my R41 (effective but with lots of bite). This shaves me very, very close to the results of the R41 but without all the bite. Sure it has bark, but as long as you treat this puppy right it won't bite. To me it has the perfect rare balance between aggressiveness +effectiveness and smoothness+forgiveness. No I didn't gave it 10's all over. I wanted this to be a realistic review. Even though it shaves like a dream it has some flaws. Fit and finish of the handle is very very minimalistic, absolutely basic and could be improved. Prove of machinery is all over this handle. The head is polished and seems good. The other flaw is that many people seem to find the handle, which is hollow (to) light. It's a cheap razor but if you have to by a handle to have the right weight it's total cost are over that of a cheapie. Yet, all that seems to be unimportant when you find the perfect shaver. It's one step closer to shaving-nirvana, which we all seek here. The handle you are going to replace it with (for instance any of the Bulldogs) is of a good quality, effectively solving both handle problems. It isn't a beginners razor in general, however it's not that aggressive that it requires lots of DE experience. It's grip is ok but when you replace the handle can be greatly improved. Blade replacement is standard of that of a 3-piece razor. It's not a adjustable razor so no score there. It's aggressiveness and balance however is PERFECT. Total BBS every day with minimum effort and no nicks. Try this razor at least once in your life time.
$Fatip G C 2.jpg

It is. You could have kept it and buy a custom handle, since the handle is the only difference between the two.
Either way you'll get fantastic shaves.

Hey, not posting does not mean not interested. I read it with much interest, since I am in the process of trying to tame a Fatip, and thinking about replacing the handle. Which I already did, with a Parker handle, but I am considering a better looking one, since my Parker handle is a bit beaten up.

Today, in fact, I got one of the best shaves (for me!) with the Fatip, after taking a few days off.

Hey, not posting does not mean not interested. I read it with much interest, since I am in the process of trying to tame a Fatip, and thinking about replacing the handle. Which I already did, with a Parker handle, but I am considering a better looking one, since my Parker handle is a bit beaten up.

Today, in fact, I got one of the best shaves (for me!) with the Fatip, after taking a few days off.

You're probably right. t's just that I saw it had (exactly lol) 100 view yet 1 person commented.
People don't have to comment of course, it's only a way for me to tell they didn't just opened and closed the thread quickly,
but found the info interesting. Taking a few days of can certainly help, especially for me with a blade like Feather.
However with smooth blades like the Astra SP I can shave every day comfortably, but, of course this is very personal.

:thumbup:
I want a nickel and a gold in the future, gold will not rust, not even a bit, so that will be my back up only to be used on special days.
Enjoy your great razor!

Fatip is the best of the aggressive razors. It is efficient without verging on being dangerous (we know what other razor I'm referring to). I bought a Weber Bulldog handle for it and it is a great combo.

Even though what you say is personal, YMMV, I have to agree with you. And yes, we all know what vicious biter you mean.
I use a R89 handle right now but a Tradere Bulldog is on my list. Many people comment on bulldog and heavier handles pairing up perfectly with the Fatip.

Interestingly, and completely a YMMV thing, I sold my FaTip because I found it difficult to consistently get a good shave with it. I have gone for an R41 as its replacement (as much to check the hype as anything else) and feel I'm less likely to cut myself, despite it being blatantly more aggressive. Odd.

Interestingly, and completely a YMMV thing, I sold my FaTip because I found it difficult to consistently get a good shave with it. I have gone for an R41 as its replacement (as much to check the hype as anything else) and feel I'm less likely to cut myself, despite it being blatantly more aggressive. Odd.
Hey, if it works, it works! And never change a winning team! Enjoy that R41!
I have a R41 with the rose-gold handle but haven't decided what I will do with it.

It was the all brass that made me think FaTip over the Cadet or RR open comb. That and the clearance price on the gun metal FaTip. A review on another site seemed to say the Cadet displaced the reviewer's FaTip as favorite razor.... I couldn't tell if that was new-broom enthusiasm. Anyone have comparitive input?

I have both a Cadet (TP01) open comb and a Fatip. I agree with the comments about handles. The Fatip feels light and the TP01 feels thin (as advertised, it is about pencil thickness). I like both razors, and even though the comb shapes seem similar, there are subtle differences. Both are aggressive, with the Fatip being more so. I can get a much smoother one pass shave with it than the Cadet. However, I sometimes get a bit of burn after using the Fatip and don't with the Cadet. Both razors will bite if you are careless. I've nicked myself with both. Fit/finish, while not great on either, is better on the Fatip.

For context, here are my other razors: Gillette new, Jagger DE89L, Merkur OC travel razor, Weishi TTO, Tradere OC.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comparison cstephens! I probably picked the right one, given other razors in my rotation. Can't wait to try it.

Thanks for the comparison cstephens! I probably picked the right one, given other razors in my rotation. Can't wait to try it.
You're welcome. The Fatip is a nice looking and close shaving razor. You'll like it. I have the gunmetal also and it stands out among my others.
-chris

Thanks again, Chris. Used the Fatip today, and I am really surprised how much I liked it. Great shave, close. I was hyper-conscious of "no pressure", but even with three passes really got very little irritation. No more than the usual on the usual trouble spots, same as with my DE89. And I probably could have stopped with 2 passes and been fine for regular day's shave. I see NO flaws in F&F, either, and had no issues with the handle at all (it is defnitely different from my usual Weber bulldog, but gave me no control issues).

What blade did you use? I've been experimenting since I got the Fatip. Blade selection seems to have a greater impact than with the DE89.

Another Fatip fan here. It was my first OC and I still love it. Blade choice does seem to make a huge difference here. I found Astras to be too violent when paired with the Fatip but Personna Reds were just fine (disclaimer: Personna Reds are my favourite blade in everything).

Top Bottom