What's new

Help with a Tradere SB

So after receiving my Tradere SB I couldn’t wait to try it out. Unfortunately I am not able to get a comfortable shave and end up with nicks and weepers each time I try it. I have holding the handle more perpendicular to my face (would this be a shallower angle?) but still the same results. I do not bleed a lot and the nicks and weepers are not even all on the difficult spots, I know this is something I am overlooking but have not been able to discover as yet. I have used a Merkur 1904 OC, Gillette New and Weber DLC all of which I think shave great and do not seem to give me the problems the Tradere does.

I have only been using a DE since April so I am still very new and have not perfected my technique but had hoped the Tradere SB would give me better results than I have obtained. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks. Do you have any specific recommendations?

So far I have tried Astra, Derby and Personna Blue and Red with the same results. I am working through the rest of my selections as days permit.

nahh..doesnt matter..just start and keep a piece of paper on hand 1-10..10 the smoothest with that razor n blade used..etc...

i hate to say this, but the razor might not be for you. If you are getting great results with your other ones, then i think you may have to let the Tradere go. It should not be taking you more than a few days to one week to get comfortable with a DE, in my opinion.
i am speaking from experience with the Tradere, both the OC and the SB. If you want to persist with it, then i would highly suggest the Super Iridiums as they work for most gents being sharp and smooth. Best of luck to you.

I found med preps to be too aggressive for my face in this razor (they are one of my daily blades in every other razor I own). I put an Astra in and got a smooth comfortable shave. You need to experiment with the blades and be careful not to exert any extra pressure, as this razor is beefy enough to take care of your beard (my beard at least) with no extra help. If none of this works this razor may not be for you, as stated above. I am still debating whether or not to hang on to this razor myself.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I would say check your lather, angles and pressure.

In the end it's all about technique IMO. A black belt in Wet Shaving can get a DFS off of anything...even a DE glued to a chop stick! (Look it up ;).)

Do you find all your boo-boos occur on WTG? ATG?. If it's hard to use I would oil it up and pack it away to be used a few months later when your technique is that much better.

I struggled at first because the Tradere handle is longer than I was used to. Have you tried the Weber handle on the Tradere head? Other than that be careful about pressure, it's a big heavy beast.

It took me a couple of weeks to get as proficient with the Tradere as with my Weber, but it was well worth it.

Thanks Celestino, I will try to get my hands on some Super Iridiums and give them a try.

USCGME3, I will continue to try my sampling of blades as suggested, I am not quite ready to throw the towel in since I am still new and hopefully my technique improves with time!

Kentos, thanks, I will definitely try and find the video! The boo-boos occur on both passes so I am thinking it could be the angle. I am trying to hold the handle at more of a perpendicular angle then the rest of my razors (I think this is a shallower angle but not sure) but maybe I am over compensating.

I will give it another go this weekend when I can nurse a couple of nicks.

Thanks for all the great tips and help as usual.
Ed

Stuble: If you're interested, I have a Feather AS-D1 with about 10 shaves on it that I would trade for the Tradere SB. The Feather just isn't working for me; some guys love them, but I've not been able to find the love. The razor is like new. If interested, let me know.

I think the SB is about perfect with crystal blades and super iridiums. I'm catching some effortless shaves with that combo.

Thanks again for all the great advice!

I have tried the Tradere again with PolSilver SI's paying careful attention to the angle, pressure and lather and have managed to make the last four shaves nick free! I am still not getting great shaves but I am learning and improving with each try and that is part of the whole DE experience IMHO.

Thanks for the offer of trade DEGuy but as of now I think I still want to try and improve my technique with the Tradere.

Top Bottom