What's new

Hot Toddy's, Hot Buttered Rum and other Warm Cocktails

Mulled wine, ideally made in a Crock Pot.

Ingredients:

*Wine (one or more bottles)
*Cinnamon sticks (whole spices are best; otherwise you get gritty wine)
*Whole nutmeg
*Whole cloves
*A candy cane
*Citrus fruit
*Sugar (I like Sucanat Brown, but anything will work). I start with about 1/3cup per bottle and add more to taste, but I like mine kind of sweet; you can always add more later. Even if you like your wine bone dry, though, you'll probably need this a bit sweet.

You'll need a bottle or more, and red or white will work (or mix 'em). I like a Shiraz or - better yet - a bottle of Shiraz and a bottle of Cab Sav or Merlot. Doesn't really matter too much with all the heat and spices, though.

First, pour a couple of cups of wine into a small pot over medium-low heat and dissolve the sugar in it (the higher heat here will ensure the sugar dissolves, but will ruin much of the wine's flavor (much more so than the CrockPot)). You can just do it all in the CP if your're lazy, but you might need more sugar.

Meanwhile, pour the rest of the wine into the CP along with a couple of cinnamon sticks, some whole nutmeg berries (is that what they're called?), some citrus cut in half (I like both a lemon and an orange); stud one half of the orange with cloves (a toothpick to make the whole first helps). Throw in a candy cane, add the stuff from the stovetop (if the sugar's dissolved), and let it cook on low for a good hour or more; taste and add sugar if needed.

Serve in heated cups.

Good work, Chuck, now boys and girl keep up coming! I need some nice spiritous cocktails to keep me warm this winter.

Mulled wine, ideally made in a Crock Pot.

Ingredients:

*Wine (one or more bottles)
*Cinnamon sticks (whole spices are best; otherwise you get gritty wine)
*Whole nutmeg
*Whole cloves
*A candy cane
*Citrus fruit
*Sugar (I like Sucanat Brown, but anything will work). I start with about 1/3cup per bottle and add more to taste, but I like mine kind of sweet; you can always add more later. Even if you like your wine bone dry, though, you'll probably need this a bit sweet.

You'll need a bottle or more, and red or white will work (or mix 'em). I like a Shiraz or - better yet - a bottle of Shiraz and a bottle of Cab Sav or Merlot. Doesn't really matter too much with all the heat and spices, though.

First, pour a couple of cups of wine into a small pot over medium-low heat and dissolve the sugar in it (the higher heat here will ensure the sugar dissolves, but will ruin much of the wine's flavor (much more so than the CrockPot)). You can just do it all in the CP if your're lazy, but you might need more sugar.

Meanwhile, pour the rest of the wine into the CP along with a couple of cinnamon sticks, some whole nutmeg berries (is that what they're called?), some citrus cut in half (I like both a lemon and an orange); stud one half of the orange with cloves (a toothpick to make the whole first helps). Throw in a candy cane, add the stuff from the stovetop (if the sugar's dissolved), and let it cook on low for a good hour or more; taste and add sugar if needed.

Serve in heated cups.

Thanks Chuck! You just whisked me back to Winter 2006, which I spent in Munich, Germany. Any Glühwein fans? I'm not one personally, but the mulled wine recipe brought back a flood of great memories. :thumbsup:

Thanks Chuck! You just whisked me back to Winter 2006, which I spent in Munich, Germany. Any Glühwein fans? I'm not one personally, but the mulled wine recipe brought back a flood of great memories. :thumbsup:

I had Gluhwein in Austria back in 98, and while I didn't love it, I did love how warm it kept me during Christmastime. And unsurprisingly, it got tastier with each glass! :wink:

I would definitely try some Tom & Jerry mix. A search of the net will get you a good number of recipes. I warn you ahead of time. If you like alcoholic eggnog, go careful with T&J. It is served with warmed milk and most recipes call for a stout dose of brandy for each cup. I cut mine a bit more mildly with just an ounce or so per cup. Warmed spirit does some odd things to your equilibrium so caution is the order of the day. We first made these last year and they are quite good. A real nightcap.

Regards, Todd

Tonight I made some Hot Buttered Rum. A very simple recipe:

Butter Mixture

1 1/2 cups of brown sugar
1 stick butter
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/8 teaspoon ground clove

Fold together until it makes an even paste.

Drop one heaping teaspoon - tablespoon (depending on taste) of butter mixture into the bottom of each mug. Pour in 3 oz boiling water and top off with 2-3 oz dark rum. Stir and garnish with a cinnamon stick.

M

modern man

Tonight I made some Hot Buttered Rum. A very simple recipe:

Butter Mixture

1 1/2 cups of brown sugar
1 stick butter
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/8 teaspoon ground clove

Fold together until it makes an even paste.

Drop one heaping teaspoon - tablespoon (depending on taste) of butter mixture into the bottom of each mug. Pour in 3 oz boiling water and top off with 2-3 oz dark rum. Stir and garnish with a cinnamon stick.

:thumbup: :drool:

One stick a butta, you are cooking like Paula Dean.

:thumbup: :drool:

One stick a butta, you are cooking like Paula Dean.

I think that woman puts out butter as an appetizer.

a very simple spiced cider:

(In a warm stock pot or the crock):

cider
rind of large orange
few cinnamon sticks
whole cloves

Let that get happy for a few hours, and then add to some spiced rum.

Anyone have a good Grasshopper recipe?

Ouch, you got anything good for a tasty Christmas sweets thread?

Anyone have any good hot cocktail recipes to share this winter?

Sorry, I have always wanted to like hot alcoholic beverages, but I never have. The closest I get to enjoying them is the continental thing where you rest your cognac snifter sideways over a cup of hot coffee.

Tim

My wife and I enjoy a very simple warm drink. Take one bottle of Bunratty Mead and warm it in a pot of water on the stove.

Serve warm.

Drink.

I think the simplest hot toddy and probably the most authentic is just a shot of whiskey, a teaspoon or cube of sugar, and hot water. Almost like making tea.

Tim

I've always liked a shot of good whiskey in a cup of good coffee. Simple, but effective. Crown Royal in Arbuckles for those who want specifics.:thumbup1:

I have gotten in BIG trouble with this stuff... :redface: ....if you burn it just right at the end it tastes like spiced port wine... but it is a heck of a lot stronger than it tastes.. go easy and slow with it.

This makes GREAT gifts over the Holidays also.

4 bottles of port wine
1 bottle rum
1 bottle brandy
1 bottle vodka or everclear

1-2 bags Glug Spices. http://www.hemslojd.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=HEM/PROD/7980

Simmer portwine with glug spices until you can peel the skins off the nuts. Once the nuts are skinned put them back in the pot and add the rest of the booze and bring to a boil.. then light on fire to burn off the grain... cover pot to put out the fire (once it dies down a bit), let cool and pour back into origional bottles. Put smaller nuts, fruits and spices in the bottles whenever possible.

Use the cheapest wine and alcohol you can find.. the flavor is going to come out with the spices, nuts and fruits and using something really decent is truly a waste of money.

Serve warm in a small mug with a cinnamon stick if you like

I think the simplest hot toddy and probably the most authentic is just a shot of whiskey, a teaspoon or cube of sugar, and hot water. Almost like making tea.

Tim

I like:

1 cup boiling water
1 shot whisky (or 2, if you really need it)
1 Tbsp Honey
1 wedge lemon (squeeze into mix)

Stir and drink

I like:

1 cup boiling water
1 shot whisky (or 2, if you really need it)
1 Tbsp Honey
1 wedge lemon (squeeze into mix)

Stir and drink

Any whisky in particular you like? That's my real dilemma...this is my recipe as well but I can't find a whisky I like with it.

Any whisky in particular you like? That's my real dilemma...this is my recipe as well but I can't find a whisky I like with it.

Tim:
usually just whatever is handy.......Bourbon, mainly.
Wild Turkey 101 works well, as does Jim Beam Black.
Nothing too good, tho :nono:

Top Bottom