What's new

Hot Toddy's, Hot Buttered Rum and other Warm Cocktails

Jenesee and I got a bottle of this Glug for Christmas this year and it is awesome stuff!

I have gotten in BIG trouble with this stuff... :redface: ....if you burn it just right at the end it tastes like spiced port wine... but it is a heck of a lot stronger than it tastes.. go easy and slow with it.

This makes GREAT gifts over the Holidays also.

4 bottles of port wine
1 bottle rum
1 bottle brandy
1 bottle vodka or everclear

1-2 bags Glug Spices. http://www.hemslojd.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=HEM/PROD/7980

Simmer portwine with glug spices until you can peel the skins off the nuts. Once the nuts are skinned put them back in the pot and add the rest of the booze and bring to a boil.. then light on fire to burn off the grain... cover pot to put out the fire (once it dies down a bit), let cool and pour back into origional bottles. Put smaller nuts, fruits and spices in the bottles whenever possible.

Use the cheapest wine and alcohol you can find.. the flavor is going to come out with the spices, nuts and fruits and using something really decent is truly a waste of money.

Serve warm in a small mug with a cinnamon stick if you like

You'll need a bottle or more, and red or white will work (or mix 'em). I like a Shiraz or - better yet - a bottle of Shiraz and a bottle of Cab Sav or Merlot. Doesn't really matter too much with all the heat and spices, though.

I like to use a Concord in my mulled wine concoctions. I'm a big fan of the extra sweet grape side of the wine spectrum and the citrus really pops big compared to when I use a more traditional red.

I usually just go with Irish Coffee...

2 to 3 parts Coffee to Irish Whiskey, a couple teaspoons of sugar and top with whip cream.

You can also change it up by adding a splash of Amaretto, Frangelico etc.

A Mexican Coffee is pretty good as well.

2 to 3 parts Coffee to Kahlua, a teaspoon of sugar and top with whip cream.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Is there anything that alcohol doesn't make better, with the possible exception of marriages and decisions?

The Toddy recipe that has been in my family for generations is as follows.

In a mug combine:
2 oz of whiskey
1 Tbs honey
1 Tbs lemon juice
1 tsp sugar
Fill with steaming water.

I usually just eyeball the amounts and ad a little extra lemon juice. When I have it, I also add a shot of Lemoncello.

barnburner punch
bottle southern comfort
gallon apple cider
cinnamon stick
oranges x2
lemon x1
whole cloves
combine all except s.c. in a large pot/bowl (slice fruit in half)heat to steaming.remove from heat.add the comfort.

Wassail Recipe I used last year

12 bottles Hornsby Hard Cider
2 cups Rum (or a splash or 3 more)
1/2 cup sugar
1-1/2 tsp nutmeg
1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
dash of ginger

I made some cinnamon baked apples and floated in it.

Heat 1 bottle of Hard Cider and mix in sugar and spices until dissolved. Add that and the rest of the ingredients together in a crock pot and let it set covered (wouldn't want to lose the alcohol).

Makes the house smell great, and everyone loved it. Even the nondrinkers had a few of these. After a while the apples become as potent as the Wassail.

Any whisky in particular you like? That's my real dilemma...this is my recipe as well but I can't find a whisky I like with it.

It’s the recipe I use too with the exception of I toss in a cinnamon stick for a few minutes before drinking it. For whisky I tend to use regular old JD (more cinnamon) Glenlivet (more honey), or Woodfords Reserve (less honey).

i have a few recipes that i make but never came up with a name for em ... so here goes ...

(all measurements are approx of course) ...

spiced rum, warmed up in the microwave or stove top.
stir in some creme soda ... and top with a little whipped cream.

and the other one

black coffee, jim beam, sugar and some creamer (your flavor of choice)

i have one or the other at least once a week, more often depending on how the week goes ... the top one is my fave, but i am a rum guy of course...

into one mug of steaming hot chocolate.......
add 1 - 2 shots of peppermint schnapps
marshmallows of course are optional

mmmmmmmmmmm

Top Bottom